Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Coronavirus Film Festival -- movies that suddenly became relevant!

26 minutes ago, LonesomePolecat said:

Sometimes being quarantined for months has a happy ending, as in SEVEN BRIDES FOR SEVEN BROTHERS. After being stuck in the mountains for months on end, thanks to an avalanche, everyone gets married. Only in The West, folks!

5ade8e73a915d5242451dc0a90a52398.jpg

And proud of it!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Mr. Gorman said:

In regards to WHAT'S SO BAD ABOUT FEELING GOOD? (1968) it was a Universal Picture.  I have a ropey VHS copy of it -- more like a-copy-of-a-copy in point of fact -- taken from what looked to be a mid-1990s 'Comedy Central' broadcast.  Somebody taped it and I got mine from 'Robert's Rare Videos' in Canada.  The picture quality and sound aren't great, but it's watchable enough.   

I also wish I knew if Universal still had the rights to this movie or what happened to it.

Two more UNIVERSAL PICTURES from the late 1960s that seem to have vanished off the planet:

P.J. (1968)  starring George Peppard, Raymond Burr and Gayle Hunnicutt.  This aired on TV in the 1980s on TBS; I have a *very* ropey copy of the television version of "P.J." which is missing 90% of the violence and re-arranges the order of at least 1 scene.  It's better than nothing -- but not by much!

DON'T JUST STAND THERE! (1968)  starring Robert Wagner, Mary Tyler Moore and Glynis Johns.  Another Universal movie that, to my knowledge, hasn't been seen since James K. Polk was President (ok, so I'm exaggerating a lil' bit). 

NOTES:  Mary Tyler Moore had signed a 5-picture deal with Universal in 1966 and the five movies she made for Universal were THOROUGHLY MODERN MILLIE, WHAT'S SO BAD ABOUT FEELING GOOD?, DON'T JUST STAND THERE!, RUN A CROOKED MILE (1969-UK TVM) and CHANGE OF HABIT.   

Another two UNIVERAL PICTURES movies George Peppard made are still rather hard to locate as far as I can tell:  HOUSE OF CARDS (1968) and ONE MORE TRAIN TO ROB (1971). 

What's So Bad. . .used to be available intermittently on YouTube, but I fear has vanished permanently.  There is an ad there to buy it on a DVD. 

P. J. is another movie once on YT, but gone.  Guess you can buy it somewhere.

Here's One More Train to Rob:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vd4UfsRt6cg.  Guess you should watch it quick before it goes.

Just found What's So Bad. . .:  https://ok.ru/video/1483780131494.   Looks Russian, so yeronyerown.

Also, Don't Just Stand There:  https://ok.ru/video/1882928253584.    Same deal.

• Like 2

THE TERMINAL -- Tom Hanks in quarantine for months on end in an airport. I always thought this movie was funny, til it actually came true: https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-04-07/man-stranded-lax-coronavirus-almost-home

the-terminal-main-xlarge_trans_NvBQzQNjv

Airplane trouble also led to quarantine in DON'T DRINK THE WATER once Jackie Gleason's family is stuck in their embassy behind the iron curtain after their plane gets hijacked

dont-drink-the-water-1969-film-ec8429ba-

4 minutes ago, LonesomePolecat said:

THE TERMINAL -- Tom Hanks in quarantine for months on end in an airport. I always thought this movie was funny, til it actually came true: https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-04-07/man-stranded-lax-coronavirus-almost-home

A true story inspired the movie.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Terminal#Production

Some have noted that the film appears to be inspired by the story of Mehran Karimi Nasseri, also known as Sir Alfred, an Iranian refugee who lived in Terminal One of the Charles de Gaulle airport, Paris from 1988 when his refugee papers were stolen until 2006 when he was hospitalized for unspecified ailments. In September 2003, The New York Times noted that Spielberg bought the rights to Nasseri's life story as the basis for the film; and in September 2004 The Guardian noted Nasseri received thousands of dollars from the filmmakers. However, none of the studio's publicity materials mention Nasseri's story as an inspiration for the film. The 1993 French film Lost in Transit was already based on the same story.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Peebs said:

Wall-E  (alone on planet Earth, the ultimate social distancing)

There's no other place like home(An analysis of Andrew Stanton's ...

Wall-E is also very prescient about the state of the human race if they continue on their gluttonous and reckless path.  

Case in point: LA reporting some of the cleanest air of any major city in the world.

Second Case in Point: Very overweight persons suffer more when infected with COVID-19 than other groups.

• Like 1

Me, at the start of social distancing/isolation:
Sunset Blvd (1950)

Me, when I come out of social isolation (but minus the wealth):

Gloria Swanson Recalls the First Screening of Sunset Blvd. (1950 ...

Me, right now when I listen to the news or other people talk about social distancing, testing, yadda yadda yadda:

Famous Movie Quotes : Sunset Blvd. (1950) Gloria Swanson - Dear ...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
6 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

Case in point: LA reporting some of the cleanest air of any major city in the world.

Since you mentioned my town, I just had to include a picture of what it looks like around here--clean air and empty freeways. It's the end times!!!!

GettyImages_1213915416.jpg

• Like 3

Here's a parade of cinematic face masks to make you feel better about wearing yours:

v1.bTsxMTE4MDE0MztqOzE4Mzk5OzEyMDA7ODAwO340?cb=20090221091939Oz7VlWzaKsFTQnXmPPDh_RLF2bLeMiihcPRG-Av5the-abominable-dr-phibes-original.jpgwestley-aka-the-dread-pirate-roberts_the

Molto-rumore-per-nulla-800x526.jpg

movie-fr-batman.jpgvoice-changing-bane-mask-300x250.jpg

(PHANTOM OF THE OPERA, LONE RANGER, STAR WARS, ABOMINABLE DR PHIBES, PRINCESS BRIDE, MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING, BATMAN, DARK KNIGHT RISES)

• Like 1
13 hours ago, LonesomePolecat said:

I also have only seen that bad copy of a bad copy taped off comedy central, and it's usually online circulating-- on youtube or vimeo or dailymotion, whichever. It's the only version I've ever been able to see, but it's better than nothing.

Re: What's So Bad About Feeling Good

My library has a copy on DVD. When on a mission to see every MTM vehicle, I borrowed it but didn't like it very much. The only MTM movies I really liked were: Thoroughly Modern Millie '67, Ordinary People '80 and Finnegan Begin Again '85. 

• Like 1

Is your library's copy the same one that's been circulating for years?  Or does your library have access to a genuine film print and got a copy from that?  WHAT'S SO BAD ABOUT FEELING GOOD? has never had a legal video release on any format to date. 

I'd love to have a better copy to watch, but I don't know where to find a clearer version out there.  

AMIGO THE TOUCAN!   

• Like 1
7 hours ago, LonesomePolecat said:

Here's a parade of cinematic face masks to make you feel better about wearing yours:

(PHANTOM OF THE OPERA, LONE RANGER, STAR WARS, ABOMINABLE DR PHIBES, PRINCESS BRIDE, MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING, BATMAN, DARK KNIGHT RISES)

Don't forget:

7f291ae320d30159_boxart.jpg

• Like 1
8 hours ago, LonesomePolecat said:

Since you mentioned my town, I just had to include a picture of what it looks like around here--clean air and empty freeways. It's the end times!!!!

OMG.  I was out in LA not long ago and I swear the freeways were about 1,000x worse than they had been on my last visit.  This shot is a thing of beauty to me!

• Like 1
11 hours ago, LonesomePolecat said:

I think I was on this road last year when we drove from Portland to Anaheim with a stopover in Long Beach! I remember the sign to Dodger Stadium.  Of course, the roads weren't that amazing.  They were actually less than amazing.

Though, strangely enough ::knock on wood:: every time I've driven in LA (at least 4 times now), I've never gotten stuck in stop and go traffic.  I've been in heavy traffic, but not stop and go.  We've always been moving the whole time. Changing lanes is a trip, you have to know where you're going and commit! No meandering on the freeway.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I think I was on this road last year when we drove from Portland to Anaheim with a stopover in Long Beach!

Did you stay on the Queen Mary?

36 minutes ago, slaytonf said:

Did you stay on the Queen Mary?

No.  We went to the Aquarium. I think the Queen Mary is docked near the Aquarium though.  We may have seen it from the outside.

3 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

No.  We went to the Aquarium. I think the Queen Mary is docked near the Aquarium though.  We may have seen it from the outside.

Yes,  the Queen Mary is docked right next to the Aquarium.     One can't miss it when going to the Aquarium  (miss it,  as in not-see-it).

One could 'miss it' as in NOT going inside for the tour.     Not too interesting unless one is really into such ships and the history of their voyages.