Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Coronavirus Film Festival -- movies that suddenly became relevant!

5 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Yes,  the Queen Mary is docked right next to the Aquarium.     One can't miss it when going to the Aquarium  (miss it,  as in not-see-it).

One could 'miss it' as in NOT going inside for the tour.     Not too interesting unless one is really into such ships and the history of their voyages.  

We went to the aquarium in Long Beach on our way to Anaheim.  The Lorikeet Forest in the Aquarium was the highlight.

I've seen the inside of the Queen Mary if you count the episode of Unsolved Mysteries that I watched recently. They did an episode (well back in 1987 they did an episode) about the alleged ghosts and supernatural activity inside the ship.

I'm more interested in shipwrecks than the ships themselves.

The most fascinating thing about our trip to Long Beach, aside from the aquarium, were all the stacks of tires everywhere.  Everywhere you looked--tires! This was in early April of last year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
18 hours ago, lydecker said:

OMG.  I was out in LA not long ago and I swear the freeways were about 1,000x worse than they had been on my last visit.  This shot is a thing of beauty to me!

Imagine how we feel! :) My friend was telling me today his 1h30min commute is now only 25 minutes--it's a miracle!

• Like 2

Here's a good one-- APOLLO 13. Talk about quarantine! Most of the movie they're trapped in space and can't go outside, there's germ testing before they leave that forces one of them to stay behind, and there's even a scene before the launch when the families have to say hello from across a barrier so they won't transfer germs. All too familiar!

most-accurate-space-movies-apollo-13.jpg

• Like 2

220px-AnEnemyOfThePeople_poster.jpg                            220px-Ganashatru.jpg

Both films based on the Henrik Ibsen play about a doctor battling water contamination in a small town.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I do not like ROGER CORMAN even one little bit, but the ONE DECENT FILM THAT HE DIRECTED (THAT I HAVE SEEN) is easily THE MASQUE OF (THE?) RED DEATH (1964)...or you could listen to any number of audio recitations on youtube.

tumblr_mua5nqFLLS1qlny4mo1_500.jpg

• Like 1
8 hours ago, LonesomePolecat said:

Here's a good one-- APOLLO 13. Talk about quarantine! Most of the movie they're trapped in space and can't go outside, there's germ testing before they leave that forces one of them to stay behind, and there's even a scene before the launch when the families have to say hello from across a barrier so they won't transfer germs. All too familiar!

most-accurate-space-movies-apollo-13.jpg

Love how Gary Sinese (who isn't allowed to go on the mission) is FINE while Bill Paxton becomes sick as a dog.  Way to go, Flight Surgeon!

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

220px-AnEnemyOfThePeople_poster.jpg                            220px-Ganashatru.jpg

Both films based on the Henrik Ibsen play about a doctor battling water contamination in a small town.

ohhhhh YES! So appropriate!

ANy film about being stuck on a lifeboat is on my mind--extreme isolation with no knowledge of when relief will come, having to ration supplies, etc

LIFEBOAT

6472dbf747efa38834f7b1bde1120238.jpg

ABANDON SHIP

abandon_thumb.jpg

of course A NIGHT TO REMEMBER and other inferior Titanic movies

51gDd2xUqWL._AC_.jpg

UNBROKEN

unbroken-poster-1419281970289.jpg?fit=12

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I had to go all the way back to the beginning of the thread to remember whether anyone had posted Vincent Price in Masque of the Red Death in THIS thread.  (ISTR everyone going around quoting it back when Quarantines and lockdown-parties didn't seem like a good idea yet...)

dpqoSCrRjss85JviMFfbjpKynbqH7aGGp2Xfel2_

I've also seen discussions of "This is starting to feel like a Twilight Zone episode!" turn into discussions of which Twilight Zone episodes (The Midnight Sun, The Monsters Are Due on Maple Street) to watch during the lockdown/pandemic.

And with the recent wishful-Trumpist-thinking "Anti-lockdown" protests of Florida beaches, Georgia bowling-alleys and the Tianmen Square-like "Land Free" photo, sit down with TZ episode "The Old Man in the Cave" for a nice chilling bit of serendipitous metaphor:

(Which was technically supposed to be as much Serling's "faith" metaphor as nuclear scare, but those who remember the ending will find it particularly news-appropriate.  😷 )

• Thanks 1

just tossing this one out because it's in the public domain and it's got nudity and it's a much better film than it is given credit for:

THE SATANIC RITES OF DRACULA/ THE RITES OF DRACULA/ DRACULA AND HIS VAMPIRE BRIDE- the final entry in the HAMMER DRACULA series, threatens to actually become pretty interesting in the last act when it is revealed that DRACULA is living in 1970's LONDON (and SURELY mentoring a novice MARGARET THATCHER  in his spare time) AND has also become a BILLIONAIRE MEDIA MOGUL and plans to unleash the black death on the human race.

So basically RUPERT MURDOCH.

it's got LEE, CUSHING, a decent death scene, Joanna Lumley in what one imagines would have been the highlight of PATSY STONE'S film career, FUR VEST WEARING MOTORCYCLE RIDERS WHO DO THE COUNT'S BIDDING [SERIOUSLY], and some INCREDIBLY DREARY FOOTAGE OF BRITAIN IN THE 1970S, which combined with the SUPER SATURATED CINEMATOGRAPHY and delightfully bombastic 70s score which REALLY seems like it should have been used for a COP SHOW starring ANTHONY ZERBE make this a unique viewing experience- I usually try to watch this film on the most depressing day of winter every year.

apparently the SATANIC RITUAL SCENES are pretty authentic.

again, this one is in the PUBLIC DOMAIN and can be viewed any number of ways for free.

flat,750x1000,075,t.u1.jpg

• Like 1

Things could be worse than being trapped in your living room and watching television.  You could be trapped with ...

5ba92c017a795.image.jpg?resize=1200,711

Snakes on a Plane !

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
6 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

THE SATANIC RITES OF DRACULA/ THE RITES OF DRACULA/ DRACULA AND HIS VAMPIRE BRIDE- the final entry in the HAMMER DRACULA series, threatens to actually become pretty interesting in the last act when it is revealed that DRACULA is living in 1970's LONDON (and SURELY mentoring a novice MARGARET THATCHER  in his spare time) AND has also become a BILLIONAIRE MEDIA MOGUL and plans to unleash the black death on the human race.

The "plague" aspect is covered more effectively in Werner Herzog's Nosferatu: the Vampyre (1979) remake, where eastern European vampires were more a symbol of rat/bat plague before they became smoldering Christopher Lees.

0a371fc261f2f25b12f3673aeef619ea.jpg

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Things could be worse than being trapped in your living room and watching television.  You could be trapped with ...

5ba92c017a795.image.jpg?resize=1200,711

Snakes on a Plane !

(this is what the TV censors really dubbed) ---

fbw6a.jpg

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, EricJ said:

The "plague" aspect is covered more effectively in Werner Herzog's Nosferatu: the Vampyre (1979) remake, where eastern European vampires were more a symbol of rat/bat plague before they became smoldering Christopher Lees.

0a371fc261f2f25b12f3673aeef619ea.jpg

This one shows up on YouTube quite a bit and I think is also available for free on Amazon prime right now.

• Like 1
On 4/19/2020 at 7:23 PM, slaytonf said:

I should have been more clear.  I asked if you stayed at the hotel, but I guess you didn't.

I didn’t know that the Queen Mary was also a hotel. But no we didn’t. We stayed at a hotel near Disneyland. 

6 hours ago, LonesomePolecat said:

(this is what the TV censors really dubbed) ---

fbw6a.jpg

My absolute favorite censorship is “Showgirls.” The censors digitally drew underwear onto Elizabeth Berkeley. The underwear looks like it was drawn on using the big paintbrush in Microsoft Paint. Then, when Elizabeth moves behind the curtain, her digital underwear stay in front. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1