Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Coronavirus Film Festival -- movies that suddenly became relevant!

1936-Romeo-and-Juliet-09.jpg

The plague interferes in the plans of the Friar to deliver an all important letter in Romeo and Juliet.

Scene 2
Enter Friar John.

FRIAR JOHN 
Holy Franciscan friar, brother, ho!

Enter Friar Lawrence.

FRIAR LAWRENCE 
This same should be the voice of Friar John.—
Welcome from Mantua. What says Romeo?
Or, if his mind be writ, give me his letter.
FRIAR JOHN 
Going to find a barefoot brother out,
One of our order, to associate me,
Here in this city visiting the sick,
And finding him, the searchers of the town,
Suspecting that we both were in a house
Where the infectious pestilence did reign,
Sealed up the doors and would not let us forth,
So that my speed to Mantua there was stayed.

9 hours ago, LonesomePolecat said:

Yesterday the LA Times was talking about doctors making hard decisions, and quoted COMA (1978)

MV5BZTAwODJlOGQtYTYxMi00ODI3LTgwZWYtZDVi

Here's the article:

https://www.latimes.com/opinion/story/2020-04-25/triage-rules-priority-ventilators

I was quoting that same image right around the time we were wondering about Kim-Jong Un's current unverified state of health.  (And why couldn't he afford something as cool as that?)

• Like 1

EVENING PRIMROSE -- Anthony Perkins thinks it's a great idea to quarantine in a department store, only to discover others had been quarantining in there for years, one amongst them against her will. This song is kind of how we all feel right now: "I remember sky....."

• Thanks 2

getting ready to post a revu in the I JUST WATCHED thread, but last night I watched WITCHFINDER GENERAL (1968)...

IS IT JUST ME, or are A LOT OF MOVIES suddenly PREGNANT WITH EXTRA MEANINGS given the current CRISIS in which we find ourselves?

the basis of this film: during a time of DIVISION, STRIFE and INEFFECTIVE LEADERSHIP- all sorts of DESPICABLE people emerge from the woodwork to TAKE ADVANTAGE of the lawlessness, fear and unrest.

I think my last words when I'm getting roasted on the pyre will be "BALENCIEGA!!!!!"

• Like 1

The movie i saw just before bed last night fits the bill......

BlastFromThePast.jpg

Much of the movie is a  charming fish-out-of-water romance comedy but its attached to the mother of all lockdowns.  Brendan Fraser (hey, nice to see the lead of a movie who actually has the same first name as me!) plays a young men who sallies forth into 1997 LA to find supplies, food, and a bride, after spending all 35 years of his life in a fall-out shelter built by his father Christopher Walken.  Walken sealed himself and very pregnant wife Sissy Spacek in the shelter after what he though was the opening salvo of World War III in 1962. in actuality it was a plane crash that destroyed their house. No matter though as Walken puts locks on the shelter that don't open for 35 years, bringing the family into an entombed world of Perry Como records, shuffleboard, Jackie Gleason reruns, and Readers Digest Condensed Books, safe from massive changes in society. Walken and Fraser fare rather well during it all, Spacek, getting cabin fever within minutes, starts hitting the cooking sherry with gusto. Needless to say they are in for a rude awakening when they reenter society.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
18 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

The movie i saw just before bed last night fits the bill......

BlastFromThePast.jpg

I loved this movie! I saw it when it came out in 1999. 

"I love sushi." "I love Lucy." "Who doesn't?  She's  hilarious."

• Like 2
12 hours ago, LonesomePolecat said:

EVENING PRIMROSE -- Anthony Perkins thinks it's a great idea to quarantine in a department store, only to discover others had been quarantining in there for years, one amongst them against her will. This song is kind of how we all feel right now: "I remember sky....."

A gorgeous song, which I have actually sung in public. Unlike many Sondheim songs, the piano part is relatively easy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Right now I'm re-watching THE MIRROR CRACK'D starring Angela Lansbury as Miss Marple, and I suddenly see the significance of an important plot point about a highly contagious disease and a nurse who spreads it (spoiler alert!)

MV5BN2EyY2MxYjktMzBiNC00ZDZiLTk3NGYtMGZi

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
On 4/27/2020 at 6:37 AM, Bogie56 said:
1936-Romeo-and-Juliet-09.jpg

The plague interferes in the plans of [ROMEO AND JULIET]

Damn shame. In just a couple of years they could’ve started collecting Social Security.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, LonesomePolecat said:

Right now I'm re-watching THE MIRROR CRACK'D starring Angela Lansbury as Miss Marple, and I suddenly see the significance of an important plot point about a highly contagious disease and a nurse who spreads it (spoiler alert!)

MV5BN2EyY2MxYjktMzBiNC00ZDZiLTk3NGYtMGZi

YES!!!!!!!!!

I was totally, totally thinking about this one the other day and made a mental note ti cite it in this thread. 

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Damn shame. In just a couple of years they could’ve started collecting Social Security.

Des[ite being former polo playing pals with THE GREAT TRACY, along with WALT DISNEY & WILL ROGERS, never cared for Leslie Howard myself  For yrs TRACY kept his polo playing stables, mostly after they died to sleep one off though   That's where they found him finally, to due BOYS TOWN

I'm watching a rather lackluster thriller on Netflix entitled The Perfection (2018), and part of the plot involves two Americans staying in China when a mysterious and deadly disease starts spreading. 

• Like 1

MV5BMTk1MjQwMTQyMV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODcx

Friends on a camping trip discover that the town they're vacationing in is being plagued in an unusual fashion by parasitic aliens from outer space.

• Like 1

INTO THE WOODS -- as the kingdom is in crisis and people die all around them, the leaders bail and the survivors blame each other. All the bickering in politics and media with everyone blaming each other makes this song sound awfully familiar:

• Like 3