Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LonesomePolecat

Coronavirus Film Festival -- movies that suddenly became relevant!

:D  Betcha DARG would love one of them!  ;) 

Sepiatone

4 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

At least I know what to wear while movie watching:

96291023_10158354673929489_5175346140396

The weather forecast for the remaining week might cause me to add these:

dThhv8a.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

prod-db-20th-century-fox-dr-doctor-bull-

Ignorant citizens doubt a small town doctor during a typhoid epidemic.

Wow! You guys are coming up with some fantastic examples. I am both impressed and horrified at how relevant these movies are right now.

• Thanks 1

The Shining  (1980)  social-isolating with the family goes horribly wrong

Doctor Sleep: How Will Shining Sequel Resurrect Jack Torrance ...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The current fight between the press and the politicians reminds me of movies like ALL THE PRESIDENT'S MEN, THE POST, FROST/NIXON, and GOOD NIGHT AND GOOD LUCK

allthepresidentsmen_613x463.jpg

the-post-tom-hanks-meryl-streep.jpg

frost-nixon-sheen-langella-631.jpg

f5b56ae8-059d-4546-9c56-b651a01f9fd3-206

An Enemy of the People (1978), with Paul Newman and Bibi Andersson, directed by George Shaefer.

• Like 1

Sheltering in place can feel like being in a submarine --

DESTINATION TOKYO

HUNT FOR RED OCTOBER

ICE STATION ZEBRA

OPERATION PETTICOAT

K19 THE WIDOWMAKER

20000 LEAGUES UNDER THE SEA

DAS BOOT

U571

TORPEDO RUN

UP PERISCOPE

Watching JUAREZ on TCM on Demand right now and they said there is an epidemic in the city and all public gatherings have been forbidden! :o

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, LonesomePolecat said:

Maybe we should cure the coronavirus the way they do in THE FANTASTIC VOYAGE :)

I remember when the news stories about antibody tests came out, I had to explain, "Okay, remember those things that wrapped around Raquel Welch's leg?"

("Then,  what was the blobby thing that destroyed the submarine?"  "That was a white blood cell!")

Of course, though, I knew these things from watching, and occasionally binging, Netflix's Cells at Work anime.  (From when it used to air on Crunchyroll)

• Like 1

TCM's May Spotlight on Asian Americans in Classic Hollywood comes just as jerks are using COVID-19 as an excuse to increase anti-Chinese hate crimes. (Makes me so mad--they're suffering too!) All of these films belong in our film festival as well as anything Hollywood ever made about China or Chinese people, from THE GOOD EARTH to MULAN. I don't think we'll ever watch a movie about China the same way again.

apt_678x230_050120200159.jpg

http://www.tcm.com/this-month/article/1569332|0/Asian-Americans-in-Classic-Hollywood-5-6.html

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LonesomePolecat said:

TCM's May Spotlight on Asian Americans in Classic Hollywood comes just as jerks are using COVID-19 as an excuse to increase anti-Chinese hate crimes. (Makes me so mad--they're suffering too!) All of these films belong in our film festival as well as anything Hollywood ever made about China or Chinese people, from THE GOOD EARTH to MULAN. I don't think we'll ever watch a movie about China the same way again.

apt_678x230_050120200159.jpg

http://www.tcm.com/this-month/article/1569332|0/Asian-Americans-in-Classic-Hollywood-5-6.html

Hopefully TCM will be showing the Charlie Chan,   Detective Wong,  and Mr.  Moto films.   

Oh, wait,  that likely doesn't fit the theme!

Well how about The Crimson Kimono;  a fine film noir from 1959.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

That's on next Wednesday.

Oh, and Mr. Wong is due up tonite!

14 hours ago, slaytonf said:

That's on next Wednesday.

Oh, and Mr. Wong is due up tonite!

Thanks for the reminder about The  Crimson Kimono.     I did watch Anna May Wong in Daughter of Shanghai.     Good film with some fine actors.    

Her dancing scene was nice.    Looking forward to more films with her.

Written Chinese

• Like 1

MV5BZjgwZmIxZDktNGFmZC00M2Y1LWJhY2UtZGRi

Christopher Tauling, a U.N. official, is leading an effort to warn the authorities worldwide that a bacterial weapon is at the ready to wipe out most of mankind.

• Like 1

Protesters have been in the news lately. These scary armed protests are going to change the way I watch movies set in Michigan and the CA beach communities:

I can kinda see Frankie and Annette jumping barriers to go surfing:

But I can't really see John Davidson storm the capitol with an assault rifle:

I prefer Disney musical-type protests:

Wherever you are, stay safe!

On 5/6/2020 at 2:49 PM, LonesomePolecat said:

Maybe we should cure the coronavirus the way they do in THE FANTASTIC VOYAGE :)

What, shrink people down to atoms to pass thru the bloodstream in a minute submarine.  We all live in a yellow submarine...

• Haha 1

On 5/6/2020 at 8:31 PM, jamesjazzguitar said:

Hopefully TCM will be showing the Charlie Chan,   Detective Wong,  and Mr.  Moto films.   

Oh, wait,  that likely doesn't fit the theme!

I have my doubts about TCM playing anything Charlie Chan and I am very happy that I have  a whole shelf of CC DVDs. I met George Takai and he is a wonderful man, but I  don't agree with his cynicism about the Chan series. And I've said this before around here somewhere.  My father was a Swede and there  are so many negative movies about Swedes being dumb. Just my take on it, of course.  There are several movies where Swedes are portrayed as dumb clucks and, yes, I have come across that in the real life fold.  The dumb blonde thing.  I am very happy to report that my hair has turned blondie white at age 60 just like Daddy's.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Janet0312 said:

I have my doubts about TCM playing anything Charlie Chan and I am very happy that I have  a whole shelf of CC DVDs. I met George Takai and he is a wonderful man, but I  don't agree with his cynicism about the Chan series. And I've said this before around here somewhere.  My father was a Swede and there  are so many negative movies about Swedes being dumb. Just my take on it, of course.  There are several movies where Swedes are portrayed as dumb clucks and, yes, I have come across that in the real life fold.  The dumb blonde thing.  I am very happy to report that my hair has turned blondie white at age 60 just like Daddy's.  

So because your ethnic heritage has been the object of bigoted stereotyping, it justifies you in ignoring that when it is directed at others.

19 hours ago, slaytonf said:

So because your ethnic heritage has been the object of bigoted stereotyping, it justifies you in ignoring that when it is directed at others.

I'm half Asian, (e.g. my uncle could pass for Takai),   and I don't find the Chan serial to be bigoted.    The detective is the most intelligent,  patience,  reliable,  character on screen.   While Chan sometimes is perceived as being otherwise at the start of a film,  the character(s) doing that are shown to be the clueless ones and not Chan.

Yes,  the Mickey Rooney's character in Breakfast at  Tiffany's is a bigoted stereotype,  but I really don't see that in Chan,  Mr. Moto,  or Detective Wong.   All I see is the casting of a non-Asian to play an Asian character.

Also,  I don't see how disagreeing with someone's POV on this subject is ignoring it.      

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Janet0312 said:

I have my doubts about TCM playing anything Charlie Chan and I am very happy that I have  a whole shelf of CC DVDs.

I have recently discovered on our Roku a channel called: "TV Time Cozy Mysteries". Among the offerings are thirty-seven Charlie Chan movies! There are many which I have not watched before and I can think of none which are missing. One of my new favorites is: The Black Camel (1931) which co-stars Bela Lugosi.

• Like 1

SAFE (1995; DIR. TODD HAYNES) 

A housewife (Julianne Moore) suddenly starts to display mysterious symptoms, and is diagnosed with a rare illness. 

Todd Haynes' "Safe:" A Parable for the End of the World - GARAGE

• Like 1