Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LonesomePolecat

Coronavirus Film Festival -- movies that suddenly became relevant!

17 hours ago, slaytonf said:

So because your ethnic heritage has been the object of bigoted stereotyping, it justifies you in ignoring that when it is directed at others.

I don't know whether I'm justified in my thinking or not. And I don't care. I certainly can sympathize  with people's feelings on the subject, but those were the times.  I cringe whenever I see people doing blackface and doing the Uncle Tom routine. But like I said, those were the times. I like to think of it as historical.  That's all.

Anyone see the video footage of empty hospitals and dancing nurses from during this lockdown yet?    I thought this Busby Berkeley-influenced short would fit right in.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Movies about facing death such as this masterpiece:

IKIRU -- Takashi Shimura tries to fight the bureaucracy to build a park for the children before he dies

81dljNkZyGL._SY550_.jpg

• Like 2

ClassiCategories today got me thinking of movies in which school is cancelled, such as WILLY WONKA AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY

willywonkaandthechocolatefactory01A.jpg

Particularly in THE ENGLISHMAN WHO WENT UP A HILL BUT CAME DOWN A MOUNTAIN in which the mothers grab the kids right out of school -- "they're needed at home!"

In THE BELLS OF ST MARY'S Bing cancels school the day he gets there, simply because he remembers how much he enjoyed holidays at school

HARRY POTTER - After Voldemort comes back and the Ministry of Magic falls, some students of Hogwarts choose not to return for their own safety

• Like 3

And speaking of all the cancelled events, Monty Clift never did have to worry about that boxing match in FROM HERE TO ETERNITY

from-here-to-eternity-lobbycard-1953-pic

• Haha 1

I used to think it was silly that ladies once wore gloves all the time, as Doris Day is doing here in LUCKY ME. Now I think it's a pretty good idea--maybe the fashion will return now, hm?

588-2.jpg

• Like 1

MV5BMjMwMjQwODE3MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzY0               MV5BMTg0ODgyOTg5NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMTI5

• Like 1

On 5/10/2020 at 12:05 AM, LonesomePolecat said:

And speaking of all the cancelled events, Monty Clift never did have to worry about that boxing match in FROM HERE TO ETERNITY

from-here-to-eternity-lobbycard-1953-pic

It's probably just as well, the man weighed 10 lbs, he would have been KO'd within the first 30 seconds of the match. Galovitch looks to have at least 50 pounds on him.  Not an even match-up. 

I say this as a fan of Monty Clift, btw.

• Haha 1

Speaking of cancelled events, I'm going to have to be satisfied with movies about the Olympics this summer :(

CHARIOTS OF FIRE

51OLCFlU-kL.jpg

JIM THORPE: ALL AMERICAN

WALK DON'T RUN

MUNICH

THE FIRST OLYMPICS: ATHENS 1896

OLYMPIA

UNBROKEN

And the classic Goofy short THE OLYMPIC CHAMP

300?cb=20120625014544

Lonesome Polecat, there's another:

a155786a5bc64637dd1043647fbb5552.jpg

• Like 1

518tQejtmBL._SX342_QL70_.jpg

• Like 1

After two months of this, many kids are starting to feel cut off from their friends, just like this song from AMERICAN TAIL

MV5BY2E3OTk0NmQtYjJiMS00YTk2LWJiN2QtNTI5

(1962) Terry-Thomas, Alex Nicol, Honor Blackman. A man's death of smallpox at London airport sends officials into a panic as they conduct a frantic search for the carrier. Nice performances and a good script. 35mm.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Fedya said:

Lonesome Polecat, there's another:

a155786a5bc64637dd1043647fbb5552.jpg

Did anyone mis-read the little rhyme in their head like I did?

"When Jayne decides to rival Helen of Troy...

It's a madcap marathon for Olympic heroes & a Grecian GOY!"

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

A man's death of smallpox at London airport sends officials into a panic as they conduct a frantic search for the carrier. Nice performances and a good script. 35mm.

A comedy about--smallpox.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

MV5BY2E3OTk0NmQtYjJiMS00YTk2LWJiN2QtNTI5

(1962) Terry-Thomas, Alex Nicol, Honor Blackman. A man's death of smallpox at London airport sends officials into a panic as they conduct a frantic search for the carrier. Nice performances and a good script. 35mm.

Gotta find this one now! I love Terry Thomas!

Now that some beaches in LA County are starting to open, we'll see how well their crowd control plan actually goes. They'll probably need to put this sign up that's on the Island of Nabumbu beach in BEDKNOBS AND BROOMSTICKS

tumblr_opkddcvNYP1vmh7tlo1_1280.jpg

Watching GUS on Disney+ right now (a movie we first enjoyed on Treasures from the Disney Vault on TCM) and I forgot this part where Gus the Mule runs through a grocery store! Talk about contamination. I'll never look at grocery stores the same way again -- I kept thinking how odd that the people weren't wearing masks and there were paper towels on the shelves! :oTHis moment in the movie is especially funny to me because he's in a Ralph's, which is my local grocery store. Get out of there, Gus!

--update: there was a shot of a shelf stocked with toilet paper. Such absurd fantasy! Disney expects us to believe this stuff? Science fiction!

jpeg

2 hours ago, LonesomePolecat said:

Disney expects us to believe this stuff? Science fiction!

Ha ha ha, the mule who could kick field goals was totally believable.

• Like 1

%22Suspect%22_(1960).jpg

UK scientists find a cure for plague but their government, fearing its military-biological potential, keeps the discovery secret until a scientist is duped into giving it to a foreign power.

• Like 1

On the news, or TV, you may have noticed the new Pandemic-era business "handshake" for those without gloves or sanitizers is to bump fully-clothed elbows, at a respectable social distance:

image.jpg

We can credit this discovery to the fine work accidentally pioneered by Dr. Frederic Frahnkensteen and his fiancé...Taffeta, darling!

6dfc7b9b204a5b2c43ac6b1c42c4c8f2.jpg

• Haha 4