Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Film has line about soldiers' old wounds causing pain when the weather changes

I watched a movie years ago, and it had a line that stuck with me.  Unfortunately, I don't recall the movie or the specific phrasing.  I'd really love to track it down though.

In the movie, one of the characters comments that he knew of some soldiers that were wounded years ago.  Some even had bullets that had completely healed over, so as they walked around you would never know that they'd ever been wounded.  But anytime a storm came up or the weather changed, they'd feel pain as though it were a fresh injury again.  (Paraphrased)

The line stuck in my mind because it works literally and as a metaphor.  There have been instances of soldiers having wounds heal over, but they experience pain when the barometric pressure changed (1, 2, 3).  Then there are soldiers who have not suffered from a physical injury, but they have mental scars that are hidden.  Their pain can surface at times from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) or Shell Sock.  

If that's enough for anyone recognize the movie, please share.  In the meantime, I wish everyone among the TCM message boards happy viewing and good health.

1.  United States. Surgeon-General's Office, George Alexander Otis.  1869. A Report on Excisions of the Head of the Femur for Gunshot Injury.  Case 247. pg. 101
  2. United States. Surgeon-General's Office, George Alexander Otis.  1871. A  Report on the Surgical Cases Treated in the Army of the United States from 1865 to 1871.  pg. 175
  3. Barnes, Joseph. Woodward, Joseph Javier. 1870. The Medical and Surgical History of the War of the Rebellion.  Volume 1. Pg. 107
  • 2 weeks later...

There have been tons of movies where a character says "my knee is acting up, weather is near" or something like that. That's not enough info to track it down.