Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What's up with Uncle Buck!?

Am I going crazy, or is TCM currently showing Uncle Buck in a 4/3 aspect ratio? If I wanted to see movies cropped for television, I'd watch that other so-called classic movie network that includes all those lovely commercial interruptions as well.

AMC isn't all that good of a classic movie station. I love TCM for the reason they show good quality classics without the interruption and no constant logos filling half the screen. I am too, wondering why they had to show Uncle Buck in the cropped version.

Forget about the aspect ratio, Uncle Buck should never have been shown on TCM in the first place. I can think of many more deserving actors to showcase under the theme of actors that passed away unexpectedly.

I was also disappointed to see "Uncle Buck" in full screen. I was looking forward to seeing it since I've never seen it in widescreen. But I guess it was the only copy that TCM could get, otherwise I believe (or at least would LIKE to believe) that they would've shown it in letterbox. They had indicated that on the schedule, but like I said, I guess they couldn't get a letterbox copy.

right - we were told by Universal that they did not have a letterbox copy; I probably should have been on top of this before it played, but since then we checked and they do have it out on dvd in letterbox

I think their tv people weren't aware that their home video people had a letterbox master; in any case, if we play it again in should be in letterbox

I will say it again - we always want to play every film in letterbox

This is obviously an older topic-(well, not that much)

However, I must come to the defense of the late: John Candy-(1950-94) Sure, he was no: *Chaplin, Marx Bros. or of course: William Claude Dukenfield-(W.C. Fields)

But, in this era of vulgar & disgusting comics, on stage & screen! The big guy was a lighthearted & family friendly guy! & I never have heard 1 negative word said of the man either. His main drug, being FOOD. This is a nice lil' comedy-(again, we aren't talkin' "A Night at the 0pera,' here) I rate his 1987 "Plains, Trains & Automobiles' a little bit higher. That is R-rated however. "U. Buck," is PG. John Candy, was fun for everybody, in this era of the likes of: Martin Lawrence, Pauly Shore, A. Sandler & my most despised>Chris Tucker!!!

& most of his flix were not even as good as "Buck?" They figured his personality would help the scripts' However, he & only a couple more in our era-(& I review an average of 50 new pix per yr.) are stand-outs these days-(although, he's sadly gone!) Ironically, I just came home from reviewing the 1st & asinine "Ace Ventura," movie, when I was told he was found dead too!

"In defense of the big guy John Candy!"

I loved John Candy and was so sad when he died. I don't think I've laughed so hard as I did the first time I saw "National Lampoon's Vacation" when Chevy Chase took John (as the security guard) at gun point and made him ride on that roller coaster. And his work in SCTV was just hilarious. Great comedian and I miss him.