Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

2020 Election....


Recommended Posts

 
It's 36 days after election, safe harbor deadline has passed,
 
302 electoral votes certified for Biden, won by 7 million votes nationwide,
 
Trump has lost 51 court cases & yet he's still calling for election results to be overturned
 
& 90% of GOP either encouraging or silent
 
:rolleyes:
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Someone asked earlier why Lindsey Graham continues to suck up to Trump, defend his every move and support 99.9% of the things Trump does.  Why do other GOPers do it?

The 2020 election revealed the reason.  Before the election, polls were showing a tight race (2 pts. or less) between Graham and Dem challenger Jamie Harrison.  Democrats and their supporters put $130 MILLION into S.C. for the race garnering huge media attention (and free publicity).  When the dust settled, Harrison did marginally better than the last Dem to challenge Graham.

Graham knows which way the political winds in S.C. blow.  Also, if the Dems had a better candidate, they might have done better.  Harrison is now likely to head the DNC with the backing of US Rep. Jim Clyburn of S.C., who represents the gerrymandered black district in S.C.

In addition, the Dems in S.C. lost 3 of the few state senate seats they had and several of the few state house seats as well as the US House seat in Charleston.  Worst performance in decades.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ElCid said:

Someone asked earlier why Lindsey Graham continues to suck up to Trump, defend his every move and support 99.9% of the things Trump does.  Why do other GOPers do it?

The 2020 election revealed the reason.  Before the election, polls were showing a tight race (2 pts. or less) between Graham and Dem challenger Jamie Harrison.  Democrats and their supporters put $130 MILLION into S.C. for the race garnering huge media attention (and free publicity).  When the dust settled, Harrison did marginally better than the last Dem to challenge Graham.

Graham knows which way the political winds in S.C. blow.  Also, if the Dems had a better candidate, they might have done better.  Harrison is now likely to head the DNC with the backing of US Rep. Jim Clyburn of S.C., who represents the gerrymandered black district in S.C.

In addition, the Dems in S.C. lost 3 of the few state senate seats they had and several of the few state house seats as well as the US House seat in Charleston.  Worst performance in decades.

Uh,  the election is over.     Therefor the above is not a reason why Graham continues to suck up to Trump.     6 years is a very long time before the next election.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Uh,  the election is over.     Therefor the above is not a reason why Graham continues to suck up to Trump.     6 years is a very long time before the next election.

 

Not in S.C. politics. and Graham wants to be a player in it.  You are right that he should be making his usual pivot away, but the power of Trumpism is too great.  Actually that is my fear for any real improvement in the GOP.   Trumpism has a stranglehold on it.  Maybe it will go away, but who knows.

Link to post
Share on other sites

PA votes are in: 20 electors for Biden & Harris.  They are in the process of signing/certifying.

The NYT website updated the result about a minutes after the fact, so they are keeping up with the votes.  They also just updated the map for NY.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

NYT has the count right now as Biden 97-71.

 

Apparently Hawaii is the last to vote and CA is sometime late this evening.  They are giving DeJoy nine days to get the ballots delivered to VP Pence and Congress.  Fortunately there are five other copies of the votes that go to different places.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ElCid said:

Apparently Hawaii is the last to vote and CA is sometime late this evening.  They are giving DeJoy nine days to get the ballots delivered to VP Pence and Congress.  Fortunately there are five other copies of the votes that go to different places.

I think CA is at 2pm PST.  

Copies to go the President of the Senate, 2 copies to the U.S. Archivist, 2 copies to the state's Secretary of State and one copy to the chief judge of the US district court for the jurisdiction where the electors met.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Hibi said:

ELECTORAL COLLEGE has spoken! I suspect there will be a flurry of tweets tonight from THE BIGGEST LOSER!!! :D

I watched the California vote that put Biden over the top. Normally watching the electoral college is like watching paint dry, but not this year. Did anybody witness the nonsense in Texas? They wanted to attach a resolution accusing the Supreme Court of moral cowardice for not  hearing their suit, but in the end toned down the language. But still. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, LsDoorMat said:

I watched the California vote that put Biden over the top. Normally watching the electoral college is like watching paint dry, but not this year. Did anybody witness the nonsense in Texas? They wanted to attach a resolution accusing the Supreme Court of moral cowardice for not  hearing their suit, but in the end toned down the language. But still. 

OH BROTHER! The Supremes are ok when they rule in their favor.....

Link to post
Share on other sites

Started to begin a new thread on Implications of 2020 Election, but decided to just revive this one.

To me, one of the major implications is the success of the Republicans at the state level.  Add in the success at the US House level.   Last estimate is that Dems will probably wind up with a 3 vote majority after Biden appointments and then replacements are named.  Ample opportunity for the Progressives to shoot down moderate Dem programs.

At the state level, the Republicans made significant gains in many states and thereby will have greater control over redistricting.  Resulting in more gerrymandering of GOP favorable districts couple with more suppression of Democratic leaning voting.  They will also pass discriminatory laws that will now be upheld by the Right wing Republican federal judiciary. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
© 2021 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...