Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Essentials: The Brad Bird Era begins May 2

The complete list of films airing on “The Essentials” for 2020 (from Variety):

Singin’ in the Rain (1952) – Co-directors Gene Kelly and Stanley Donen’s musical comedy about Hollywood stars adjusting to the coming of sound

Ace in the Hole (1951) – Kirk Douglas stars as a small-town reporter milking a local disaster to make it back into the big time

The General (1926) – Buster Keaton writes, stars and co-directs this silent film where a Confederate engineer fights to save his train and his girlfriend from the Union army

Casablanca (1942) – this classic, in which an American saloon owner in North Africa is drawn into World War II when his lost love turns up, has the distinction of being the most played film on TCM

The Red Shoes (1948) – Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger’s take on the Hans Christian Andersen fairy tale of a young ballerina torn between her art and her romance with a young composer

Lawrence of Arabia (1962) – the sweeping, epic story of T.E. Lawrence who enlists the Arabs for desert warfare in World War I. Bird gains the distinction of being the only person on TCM to talk about this film who also directed Peter O’Toole in a film (2007’s Ratatouille)

Gunga Din (1939) – one of two Cary Grant films featured in the Essentials, three British soldiers seek treasure during an uprising in India

A Matter of Life and Death (1947) – Another film from Powell and Pressburger in which an injured aviator argues in celestial court for the chance to go on living

A Hard Day’s Night (1964) – a typical day in the life of the Beatles is turned into a musical comedy

The Music Man (1962) – Robert Preston plays a con artist hawking musical instruments and band uniforms to small-town America

Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned To Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964) –Stanley Kubrick’s black comedy, where Peter Sellers plays three roles, including a mad United States General who orders an air strike against Russia

The Maltese Falcon (1941) – the first of two Essential films noir, hard-boiled detective Sam Spade (Humphrey Bogart) gets caught up in the murderous search for a priceless statue

2001: A Space Odyssey (1968) – Kubrick’s classic sci-fi epic about a mysterious monolith that seems to play a key role in human evolution

Ball of Fire (1941) – Howard Hawks directs a group of professors (led by Gary Cooper) who take in a nightclub singer (Barbara Stanwyck) hiding from the law to protect her gangster boyfriend

City Lights (1931) – Charlie Chaplin writes, directs and stars in this later silent film in which the Little Tramp tries to help a blind flower seller to see again

An American in Paris (1951) – Vincente Minnelli directs Gene Kelly as an American artist who finds love with Leslie Caron in Paris but almost loses it to conflicting loyalties

The Searchers (1956) – a John Ford & John Wayne western in which an Indian-hating Civil War veteran tracks down the tribe that slaughtered his family and kidnapped his niece

North by Northwest (1959) – Alfred Hitchcock’s final film with Cary Grant, who plays an advertising man mistaken for a spy, triggering a deadly cross-country chase

Guys and Dolls (1955) – Frank Sinatra bets Marlon Brando that he can’t seduce a missionary Jean Simmons in this musical comedy

Out of the Past (1947) – one of Robert Mitchum’s many films noir, he portrays a private eye who becomes the dupe of a homicidal moll

• Like 3
13 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

Well, for everybody on here who was longing for Ava DuVernay and her picks to go away forever, here's a return to the same old same old you've all been craving! 🙂

Cue the new posters complaining about repetition and then making the statement that programming has gone downhill since Robert Osborne's passing.

• Haha 3

Two movies by Michael Powell. 

As for Ms. DuVernay and the continual misrepresentation of her choices, as has been demonstrated before, the great majority of movies were standard fare for TCM.  And many of the ones which might be seen as aired with an intent to open a window into the cultures of minorities in this country (heavens!) were not premieres.  It is a mark of the staidness of some posters here that they have taken a small part of her list and used it to color her entire tenure. 

• Thanks 1
On 4/22/2020 at 10:37 AM, sewhite2000 said:

Well, for everybody on here who was longing for Ava DuVernay and her picks to go away forever, here's a return to the same old same old you've all been craving! 🙂

What interests me is why he chose these films. I'm especially looking forward to his thoughts on A MATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH, because it is quite possibly my favorite film.

33 minutes ago, sagebrush said:

What interests me is why he chose these films. I'm especially looking forward to his thoughts on A MATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH, because it is quite possibly my favorite film.

This may give you some insight until they start airing...

https://www.cartoonbrew.com/classic/brad-bird-will-present-20-film-classics-on-tcm-and-theres-a-good-reason-why-none-are-animated-190094.html

• Thanks 1

I noted the article said "the rights were unavailable" for the Top 5 Disney animated films Mr. Bird fancied.  Maybe I missed it, but I didn't think I saw the ♦reason♦ the rights for said animated Disney flix were unavailable. 

Pity. 

10 minutes ago, Mr. Gorman said:

I noted the article said "the rights were unavailable" for the Top 5 Disney animated films Mr. Bird fancied.  Maybe I missed it, but I didn't think I saw the ♦reason♦ the rights for said animated Disney flix were unavailable. 

Pity. 

Probably because Disney wants them to be exclusive to their Disney+ streaming services.  The classic Disney canon has probably been the most protected IP to come out of Hollywood.

Frankly, I'm surprised as much Disney product has aired on TCM as it has, primarily through the Treasures from the Disney Vault series. Most of it is not really my thing, but I'm all for diversity of studio representation onTCM.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

Frankly, I'm surprised as much Disney product has aired on TCM as it has, primarily through the Treasures from the Disney Vault series. Most of it is not really my thing, but I'm all for diversity of studio representation onTCM.

That was because it was part of the TCM sponsorship deal for The Great Movie Ride at Disney's Hollywood Studios theme park at Walt Disney World in Orlando.  Robert Osborne was the host for the attraction when they revamped it for the sponsorship.   That attraction has been replaced, so I assume the deal is done, and so would be the airing of the Vault Disney properties on TCM.

• Thanks 1
On 4/22/2020 at 1:34 PM, jakeem said:

The Red Shoes (1948) – Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger’s take on the Hans Christian Andersen fairy tale of a young ballerina torn between her art and her romance with a young composer

A Matter of Life and Death (1947) – Another film from Powell and Pressburger in which an injured aviator argues in celestial court for the chance to go on living

Ball of Fire (1941) – Howard Hawks directs a group of professors (led by Gary Cooper) who take in a nightclub singer (Barbara Stanwyck) hiding from the law to protect her gangster boyfriend

These are the only ones I have not seen, The Red Shoes is the only I may watch, are these among anyone's favorites?

6 minutes ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

These are the only ones I have not seen, The Red Shoes is the only I may watch, are these among anyone's favorites?

I like all three quite a bit. 

I've seen all 20 of Bird's picks, and have 19 of them on disc. Good films, but as has been stated, "same old same old".

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

I highly recommend A MATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH. It's a really great flick ( just my opinion, of course. :D)

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

I love Ball of Fire ! I'm not the biggest Gary Cooper fan, but Barbara Stanwyck is fantastic in this film.  Dana Andrews and Dan Duryea also have small supporting parts, as does the actor who provides the voice of the caterpillar in Disney's Alice in Wonderland.  Barbara has a great musical number at the beginning of the film.  It's fun to watch her play a burlesque dancer who is hired to teach stuffy Gary Cooper & co. the modern slang of the day. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
20 minutes ago, sagebrush said:

I highly recommend A MATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH. It's a really great flick ( just my opinion, of course. :D)

It's settled Det. Jim McLeod, you'll have to watch all three films you mention.

• Like 1
On 4/22/2020 at 8:48 PM, slaytonf said:

Two movies by Michael Powell. 

The most essential one film for Michael Powell in my opinion is Age Of Consent  with a very young  Helen Mirren, I could watch her all day..... and what a nice chronicle of life on the Great Barrier Reef life also. It would be a nice place to be right about now.