Jump to content

 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jakeem

The Essentials: The Brad Bird Era begins May 2

Recommended Posts

but with BRAD BIRD of people with all the others  others there?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PH7YKHkc_bigger.jpg

Tomorrow night at 8pE we're live-tweeting one of the great silent films created by one of the great silent film-makers, Buster Keaton. Join us then for THE GENERAL (1927). Tune in to find out what happens next... #TCMParty ^JW
 
Film-For-Fancy | Funny pictures, Programmer humor
7:55 PM · May 15, 2020·TweetDeck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

0rx2PjOG_bigger.jpg

TCM
 
Join TCM host @BenMank77 and director @BradBirdA113 on Instagram Live today at 7:30pm ET as they take a closer look at GUNGA DIN (‘39) and the film’s depiction of colonial India before the #TCMEssentials presentation tonight at 8pm ET.
 
Image
4:09 PM · Jun 13, 2020·Sprinklr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/13/2020 at 12:40 AM, jakeem said:

 

One of my top ten films and I watched it again last night, I had it hooked up to a good sound system so I could get the full effect of Alfred Newman's score. 

I agree about this being a "screwball" adventure. Cary Grant was getting a reputation at this time for being a screwball comedian in films like Topper, The Awful Truth and Bringing Up Baby. He has some of his funniest moments in this film such as the one with Annie the elephant on that rickety bridge and his reaction to the gold temple. 

I recall seeing this film at revival theater years ago and when it started there was some people snickering at serious beginning, but when the comedy bits started they were frustrated that it was now  intentionally funny so they could not ridicule it.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

One of my top ten films and I watched it again last night, I had it hooked up to a good sound system so I could get the full effect of Alfred Newman's score. 

I agree about this being a "screwball" adventure. Cary Grant was getting a reputation at this time for being a screwball comedian in films like Topper, The Awful Truth and Bringing Up Baby. He has some of his funniest moments in this film such as the one with Annie the elephant on that rickety bridge and his reaction to the gold temple. 

I recall seeing this film at revival theater years ago and when it started there was some people snickering at serious beginning, but when the comedy bits started they were frustrated that it was now  intentionally funny so they could not ridicule it.  

It must have been impressive to watch the climactic scenes while your sound system blasted the British regiment's rendition of "Bonnie Charlie (Will ye no' come back again?)"

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jakeem said:

It must have been impressive to watch the climactic scenes while your sound system blasted the British regiment's rendition of "Bonnie Charlie (Will ye no come back again?)"

Yes it did, thanks I never knew the title of the song.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jakeem said:

It must have been impressive to watch the climactic scenes while your sound system blasted the British regiment's rendition of "Bonnie Charlie (Will ye no come back again?)"

 

Okay jakeem! Now why on earth would you want to make me start tearing up all over again and like I always do whenever I watch Jaffe doin' his hero thing here, HUH?!

;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dargo said:

Okay jakeem! Now why on earth would you want to make me start tearing up all over again and like I always do whenever I watch Jaffe doin' his hero thing here, HUH?!

;)

Well, Dargo, I guess Jaffe always had an emotional pull on us. I still get misty eyed whenever Dr. Zorba explains it all at the beginning of "Ben Casey" episodes.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

carriecrop_bigger.jpg

#KimHunter and #DavidNiven in #AMatterofLifeandDeath (on @tcm @ 8pm ET). An extraordinary Powell/Pressburger film in Technicolor (on earth) and monochrome (in heaven). As a film scholar said, "Many movies believe in love at first sight, this one in love before seeing." Thoughts?
 
Image
11:23 AM · Jun 20, 2020·Twitter Web App

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

© 2020 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...