Jump to content

 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jakeem

The Essentials: The Brad Bird Era begins May 2

Recommended Posts

I'm glad they gave a shout out to Marius Goring in their outro for A MATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A first time viewing for me on A Matter Of Life And Death, it was re titled Stairway To Heaven in the USA, Bird did not mention that. 

I give the film 7/10. The bizarre story kept my interest most of the way. David Niven brings a slight bemusement to his performance which he always did so well. The best part for me was the Jack Cardiff cinematography with both B&W and stunning color. And I never thought of Kim Hunter as a glamour girl before, but she looks absolutely gorgeous in this film.  

Kim Hunter in A Matter of Life and Death (1946)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

And I never thought of Kim Hunter as a glamour girl before, but she looks absolutely gorgeous in this film.  

Hunter was always stunning. But I suppose she sometimes was overshadowed by co-stars (Brando and Leigh in "A Streetcar Named Desire") or obscured by makeup (the original "Planet of the Apes" series).

See the source image

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BIRD is talemted, but in no way shape nor form in same league as WALTER (Elias) DISNEY!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/21/2020 at 10:41 AM, spence said:

BIRD is talemted, but in no way shape nor form in same league as WALTER (Elias) DISNEY!

Nothing can compare to a good cryogenic frost.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/21/2020 at 10:41 AM, spence said:

BIRD is talemted, but in no way shape nor form in same league as WALTER (Elias) DISNEY!

BIRD was much more talented than Walt!

A Bird's Life: How Charlie Parker Changed The Course Of Jazz History

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

BIRD was much more talented than Walt!

 

And just about anyone else you can name.

See the source image

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, jakeem said:

And just about anyone else you can name.

See the source image

Yeah, not bad for a "Hick from French Lick".

(...but Magic was better) ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dargo said:

Yeah, not bad for a "Hick from French Lick".

(...but Magic was better) ;)

They played different positions. Anyway, no one could trash talk like Bird!

See the source image

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, jakeem said:

They played different positions. Anyway, no one could trash talk like Bird!

 

Ah, but did Bird ever play all three positions in a single game and like the time Magic did during the deciding Game-6 of the 1980 NBA Finals against Dr. J and the Sixers?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Dargo said:

Ah, but did Bird ever play all three positions in a single game and like the time Magic did during the deciding Game-6 of the 1980 NBA Finals against Dr, J and the Sixers?

 

Wasn't that back in the day when nobody watched the NBA on TV, and CBS showed The Finals on tape after the local late news shows?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, jakeem said:

Wasn't that back in the day when nobody watched the NBA on TV, and CBS showed The Finals on tape after the local late news shows?

Ah, the song of envy.  But the Lakers Rule.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, jakeem said:

Wasn't that back in the day when nobody watched the NBA on TV, and CBS showed The Finals on tape after the local late news shows?

Hmmm...I do seem to recall that that was often how NBA playoff games were telecast by the network back in the day, but I couldn't say for sure that this was specifically the case for the Finals of that year.

(...and besides as you know, those great Bird/Magic faceoffs would change all that in short order)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Dargo said:

(...and besides as you know, those great Bird/Magic faceoffs would change all that in short order)

And the rest, as they say, is history...

See the source image

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

Wait, what the hell was this thread about again?

Just wait! It'll  be all about parades next week!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, jakeem said:

Within You Without You

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

© 2020 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...