Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How do we complain about the programming? It is happening more and more... where I have to change the channel from TCM to anything intelligent that I can find as there are no classic movies showing anywhere... why is that happening more and more?

Does anyone else agree?   I don't want to watch anyone opinions.  I want Classic movies not anything made after the 1960s... and I can do without so many or any of the silent and foreign movies but that is because I can not read the subtitles fast enough to enjoy them.   I'm not sure why this says I am a newbie.   Of course I was too busy making movies to spend much time watching them like I can now that I'm retired.  I was one of the first people that got Direct TV when TCM launched although I had been watching the true Classic Movies since I was five years old.  I never watched much TV but Classic movies were and still are magical.

• Haha 1
9 hours ago, Sitar_Man said:

Does anyone else agree?   I don't want to watch anyone opinions.  I want Classic movies not anything made after the 1960s... and I can do without so many or any of the silent and foreign movies but that is because I can not read the subtitles fast enough to enjoy them.   I'm not sure why this says I am a newbie.   Of course I was too busy making movies to spend much time watching them like I can now that I'm retired.  I was one of the first people that got Direct TV when TCM launched although I had been watching the true Classic Movies since I was five years old.  I never watched much TV but Classic movies were and still are magical.

I do not agree.

• Thanks 2
10 hours ago, Sitar_Man said:

"Newbie" refers to the length of time you've been on the Message Boards, not to how much you know about movies or how old you are.  I've been on the boards since 2010. Ten Years !

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Sitar_Man said:

I do NOT agree because it just isn't true.    Review the actual movies TCM has shown the last 3 months;   more than 85% are American Studio-era (1929 - 1968) films.

That is a fact.    One turns on TCM sees something they don't like and doesn't know how to use their remote.  THAT is the problem here. 

ALSO:  With regards to movies made after 1960:   Read the opening statement Robert Osborne made went TCM started.  TCM has always shown films made after 1960,  but again rarely.    < 5% of TCM's programming.     

PS:   Host comments take up < 2% or so of TCM's programmings.    Again this is where the remote comes in handy;   use the mute button,  get a drink and a snack and enjoy what is likely to be an American studio-era film.   

12 hours ago, Sitar_Man said:

Like someone did point out earlier up there, "Classic" is subjective. And can refer to (in a movie's case)  it's age or it's quality.  Or both.  And your gripe's basis is something we all have to deal with here.  Notice....

It's called TURNER classic movies, not  SITAR MAN classic movies, or SEPIATONE CLASSIC MOVIES.   And by the way....

If you were so busy making movies to be able to watch many movies, let us in on which movies those were!  B)   And can your complaint be that TCM has yet to show any of them, or what?  ;)   And BTW....

TCM one day(in '94) just popped onto the line-up of channels on the cable service I already subscribed to, so I didn't HAVE to get Direct TV in order to watch it.    But it does seem we have something in common(perhaps).  I too, have been watching "Classic" movies since I was about four or five years old.  But of course at that time, they weren't considered all that "Classic".  ;) It kind of tickles me to think that when I first saw Johnny Weissmuller's TARZAN THE APE MAN('32) the flick was just a mere 24 years old.  :o  

Sepiatone

I completely disagree.  I watch TCM specifically to see films from the 60 s and 70s, and I’m thrilled with their selections. From my standpoint, though, they show way too much from the 40s and earlier. To each his own. 

• Like 1

So, stuck in your ways a bit are we, Sitar Dude?

Funny, but the older I get (presently a spry 68 years old who's STILL pretty damn fast out there on the tennis courts, but I digress), I find myself becoming just like this, TOO!

And funny AGAIN, but I don't really like that about myself....being "stuck in my ways" that is.

(...and so bottom line here and seein' as how you asked, NO, and allow me to repeat that here, NO, I don't agree with ya here)

• Like 1
1 hour ago, MovieMadness said:

They want the yungins to start watching that station, so get ready for batman, harry potter, and other classics.

Seriously doubt that's going to happen anytime soon. Maybe one or two of those movies during 31 Days, during which they seem to show a handful of post-1985 movies every year. I recorded an airing of the Michael Keaton Batman during 31 days sometime in the early aughts, I think. I'm unaware that they've shown any Harry Potter movies. 

1 hour ago, Sepiatone said:

TCM one day(in '94) just popped onto the line-up of channels on the cable service I already subscribed to, so I didn't HAVE to get Direct TV in order to watch it.    But it does seem we have something in common(perhaps).  I too, have been watching "Classic" movies since I was about four or five years old.  But of course at that time, they weren't considered all that "Classic".  ;) It kind of tickles me to think that when I first saw Johnny Weissmuller's TARZAN THE APE MAN('32) the flick was just a mere 24 years old.  :o  

Sepiatone

Aaah, so the "THEN recent past", eh Sepia???  ;)

LOL

• Haha 1
On 4/23/2020 at 10:42 AM, LornaHansonForbes said:

also,

HOW COME THEY NEVER SHOW WHO IS HARRY KELLERMAN AND WHY IS HE SAYING SUCH TERRIBLE THINGS ABOUT ME?, THE EFFECT OF GAMMA RAYS ON MOON-ON-THE-MOON MARIGOLDS or THOSE MAGNIFICIENT MEN IN THEIR FLYING MACHINES...????!!!!!!!!

Yes, BUT in TCM's defense here Lorna, they HAVE shown How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying, A Funny Thing Happened to Me on the Way to The Forum, AND Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb, among many other movies with exceedingly long titles!

(...and so lets at least give our favorite television channel their due in this regard anyway!)  ;) 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Yes, BUT in TCM's defense her Lorna, they HAVE shown How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying, A Funny Thing Happened to Me on the Way to The Forum, AND Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb, among many other movies with exceedingly long titles!

(...and so lets at least give our favorite television channel their due in this regard anyway!)  ;) 

I think it's been at least five years since they last showed THE INCREDIBLY STRANGE CREATURES WHO STOPPED LIVING AND BECAME TOTALLY MIXED-UP ZOMBIES, which frankly, is to their credit. 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I just want to see movies with titles like this;

image.jpeg.01e0d7a3ce249c63c64658352dcf4059.jpeg

Yeah, and they've shown both versions of this one too.

Not to mention that Costa-Gravas flick titled "Z".

(...and which I understand those superfluous 'u' spellers over there across the pond pronounce as "Zed" for some strange reason)

• Thanks 1

it's pretty boring this month, I agree reason I watch a lot of tcm on demand then it itself this month

Matter of fact it just had SERGEANT YORK on

Who recalls THE DOGGIES in the old early l930's shorts?

I can think of some things they have never shown, which would add greatly to their program.  Problem is, probably nobody has suggested them, so how are they to know they are out there just waiting to be selected.  Anyhow I think I have done my part here.  😁

• Thanks 1

TCM should strongly consider more of the old time HOLLYWOOD comedic greats as well STAN & OLLIE, THE THREE STOOGES,etc

& where the latter guys were under contract from l934-59 COLUMBIA PICTURES & a book a lady bought me titled HARRY COHN THE MEANEST MAN IN TOWN was it's mogul up until '58 when he suddenly died. That was their greatest era & not the features with CURLY JOE DERITA that came afterward

As I;ve said before motel was a stone's throw from RKO side of PARAMOUNT PICTURES & just up the block was COLUMBIA-(small ) & like FOX & CULVER STUDIOS, no tours  But given the original COLUMBIA was so little, you could strand on one side & see right through to the other   During HOLLYWOODS GOLDEN AGE (l925-60) it was widely considered a huge insult to be there THE KING: CLARK GABLE knew about this in a big way, apparently L.B. MAYER was punishing him again & had CLARK go to COLUMBIA, but for an eventual ACADEMT AWARD SWEEPING comedy called IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, spence said:

TCM should strongly consider more of the old time HOLLYWOOD comedic greats as well STAN & OLLIE, THE THREE STOOGES,etc

Yea,  especially for the Stooges their short films with Curly (since their shorts films are better then their non-short films IMO).   TCM could devote, say a 2 hour weekly time slot just for old-time shorts form the comedic greats.

• Like 1