Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Curious Case of TV Movies

@NipkowDisc:  You ask why MARSHALL THOMPSON would appear in CRUISE INTO TERROR yet fail to inquire why he would appear in the 1978 movie BOG that was so bad it wasn't released until 1983?  I say it was THE MONEY!  → Even a small paycheck is better than no paycheck!  :) 

I suggest you watch the filmed-in-Wisconsin opus 'BOG' and compare it to "Cruise Into Terror".  You can watch Marshall and the Gang (Aldo Ray, Leo Gordon, Gloria DeHaven) take on the swamp monster BOG in [PG]-rated fashion.  And, hey, Miss DeHaven has a dual role.  

@Fedya:  I think you're spot on about ORDEAL being a remake of INFERNO. 

I rarely recall the names of TV movies I didn't like.  But I remember what bugged me about some of them.  Like  the TV movie about a young married couple settling down in the West in about the mid 1870's, and the young husband sporting the same haircut the Jr. high school kid living next door to me had.   You know, that parted down the middle- feathered sides look.  :rolleyes:   Not a bad look in the mid NINETEEN seventies,  but out of place in a story set in the 19th century.   Stuff like that, seen in several TV movies, probably helped with their getting a bad rep.

Sepiatone

31 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

I rarely recall the names of TV movies I didn't like.  But I remember what bugged me about some of them.  Like  the TV movie about a young married couple settling down in the West in about the mid 1870's, and the young husband sporting the same haircut the Jr. high school kid living next door to me had.   You know, that parted down the middle- feathered sides look.  :rolleyes:   Not a bad look in the mid NINETEEN seventies,  but out of place in a story set in the 19th century.   Stuff like that, seen in several TV movies, probably helped with their getting a bad rep.

Sepiatone

Oh don't pick on TV movies for anachronistic hair styles--that was also endemic to feature films and television since at least the 50s. Although in the 70s you do get some real eyesores.

I could see TCM doing a spotlight on the Golden Age of the Made-for-TV Movie. Each week could have a different theme--the first generation of these productions; the early works of directors who would go on to feature films (esp. Spielberg); the former studio stars at the end of their careers; the ripoffs of blockbuster feature films; and the titles that had an influence beyond their initial broadcast (e.g., Brian's Song or Bad Ronald).

• Like 1

Of course, you do(I certainly hope) realize I was speaking to my reaction at the time?   And like I did say, I can't remember the names of those movies, so in spite of the historical inacurracies, they still must not have been good enough TO remember anyway.  ;) 

Sepiatone

• Like 1