Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
yanceycravat

Who plays a better weasel than Hume Cronyn?

Adolphe Menjou was great in many dramatic roles but he was a supremely oily weasel when necessary.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SansFin said:

Adolphe Menjou was great in many dramatic roles but he was a supremely oily weasel when necessary.

Very likely because he was a WEASEL in real life  It was Menjou among a few others that snitched on his peers within HOLLYWOOD & the industry at the HUAC hearings  His casting in the superb WWI epic by Kubrick PATHS OF GLORY was perfection in itself

• Thanks 1

& I visited this real life weasels grave-(don't know why the cool & legendary JOHN HUSTON (l906-87) picked to be side by side with this jerk though?  He seemed to go against everything J. HUSTON wiulda stood for?

At HOLLYWOOD FOREVER, CEM. the one that's famous for bordering PARAMOUNT/OLD RKO & a stone's throw from the original COLUMBIA PICTURES, matter of fact it's mogul nicknamed THE MEANEST MAN IN TOWN by author JAMES BACON  HARRY COHN (l884-l958) was said to deliberately select his lg grave nxt to his wife because he's famously quoted as sayin "Great, I Can even See My Studio From Here" unquote   I almost missed my plane on that first trip because I had gotten a perfect shot of COHN'S mainly thinking it was CECIL B. DeMILLE-(they look a lot alike) so had to hustle back in there, almost missing the limo to be certain I got both

By the way I don't know if I believe in it or not, got an off the wall photo though?  But CLIFTON WEBB'S ghost,etc is more then widely rumored to haunt ABBEY OF THE PSALMS where he's interred inside

This story tracks back not only there but his former house-(also now gone) where he lived with his mother for years & when asked about anything paranormal-(of course before his own demise in l966) he said his house was haunted by actress GRACE MOORE  His friend GENE LOCKHART later moved in & ran from this house because of alledged demons,etc?  & that particular cemetary also had the now legendary lady in black visiting VALENTINO'S grave, after she died her daughter has since done it  You hear all this & when you finally get somewhere like VALTINO'SW-(FINCH is just across from Him) it's so darn small EVERYWHERE?

If we go to TV Land here are a couple of more candidates.

Dort Clark Picture

Dort Clark

Jonathan Harris Picture

Johnathan Harris

6 hours ago, SansFin said:

see what I wrote earlier about major please

0c8b3066841af298a6bce121f51936fb.jpg

...a "weasel" to me is not someone of strength, but an opportunistic type of adversary. Elisha Cook Jr was born with a child like face, unfortunately forever typecasting him in movies as a weakling. He certainly was memorable in The Maltese Falcon as a Wilmer the weasel.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, TikiSoo said:

...a "weasel" to me is not someone of strength, but an opportunistic type of adversary. Elisha Cook Jr was born with a child like face, unfortunately forever typecasting him in movies as a weakling. He certainly was memorable in The Maltese Falcon as a Wilmer the weasel.

TikiSoo, I already brought him up, check it out He lived top be age 91 COOK

But ion my view PETER LORRE has 'em all beat!

9 minutes ago, spence said:

TikiSoo, I already brought him up

Sorry, I can't comprehend your posts.

9 minutes ago, spence said:

check it out He lived top be age 91 COOK

But ion my view PETER LORRE has 'em all beat!

Like this above ^^^

🤷‍♂️ ???

6 minutes ago, TikiSoo said:

Sorry, I can't comprehend your posts.

Like this above ^^^

🤷‍♂️ ???

simply put Hume Cronyn lived top be age 91

Just now, spence said:

simply put Hume Cronyn lived top be age 91

& that in my humble opinion about these picks PETER LORRE (l904-l964) tops them all as the most weasel like

1 hour ago, TikiSoo said:

And this guy, Clifton Young ..also with Bogart...in Dark Passage:

image.jpeg.6e7827d6f5a6bc6bd3d12f2817cdb859.jpeg

• Like 2

Weasel?  Oh, you mean James Karen, of The China Syndrome (1979), Poltergeist (1982) and Return of the Living Dead (1985) fame:

If some weaselly executive has cut one corner too many, you KNOW who's responsible.

(Hume Cronyn)

Was watching THE POSTMAN ALWAYS RINGS TWICE and thinking about BRUTE FORCE and TOP O' THE MORNING.

And a definitively weaselly Polonius, in the Richard Burton "Hamlet" production.

• Like 1

Percy Helton, especially in Kiss Me Deadly, here he makes a big mistake trying to blackmail Ralph Meeker's Mike Hammer

KISS ME DEADLY (1955) PERCY HELTON, RALPH MEEKER, GABY RODGERS ...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Well said.   I was tying to make a similar point when I mentioned I didn't view Dan Duryea or Richard Widmark type actors as a 'weasel'.      You make the point very well.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, spence said:

I personally somewhat agree on KEENEN, but not usually with him though  His famed father ED WYNN more so

I dunno....

I never thought of ED WYNN as ever being "weaselly" .   But also CLAUDE RAINS could pull off "weasel" along with the best of 'em.  ;)

Sepiatone

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

Percy Helton, especially in Kiss Me Deadly, here he makes a big mistake trying to blackmail Ralph Meeker's Mike Hammer

KISS ME DEADLY (1955) PERCY HELTON, RALPH MEEKER, GABY RODGERS ...

He's a weasel-y groveling "pleaser" all right. I just saw him last night as there bartender in CRISS CROSS:

Percy_Helton.jpg

Never knew his name....Mom & I would call him the "Winnie The Pooh Guy" or the "Little Mouse Guy". Didn't Disney cast him as a mouse? He has that distinctive voice.

• Like 1

I like Percy too, he's also great in The Crooked Way, The Set UpCall Northside 777Criss Cross,  Alias Nick BealThieves' HighwayVice SquadCrashout

But He's also in some that I've never seen.  The Sun Sets At Dawn , LarcenyNo Man's WomanTerror at Midnight

Another weasel  candidate is Jesse White. But he made more of a name for himself in TV and as the Maytag Repairman.

Jesse White Picture

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

I like Percy too, he's also great in The Crooked Way, The Set UpCall Northside 777Criss Cross,  Alias Nick BealThieves' HighwayVice SquadCrashout

But He's also in some that I've never seen.  The Sun Sets At Dawn , LarcenyNo Man's WomanTerror at Midnight

Percy Helton was great this past week on Noir Alley. He played a real sleezy degenerate in Wicked Woman (1954).

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, yanceycravat said:

Percy Helton was great this past week on Noir Alley. He played a real sleezy degenerate in Wicked Woman (1954).

When I first saw this movie some months ago, I was surprised by Helton's performance.  It certainly was one of the more 'meatier' roles he had in a movie, since he usually was overshadowed by bigger stars and well down the screen credits list.  Eddie Muller said "Wicked Woman" was Helton's favorite movie, and you can see why.  He comes off as an honest, humble tailor who happens to be attracted to a woman he could never have, unless he had something on her...and he did!  In the end, he tried and failed, but it was a memorable role for him.

• Like 2

Percy was beloved of many "boomers" who often saw the comical little guy in a variety of appearances on TV shows back in the late '50's.  For years, most of us only knew him as, "Oh, yeah...THAT guy!" ;)    The original Macy's Santa went quite a ways since then, and both he and BURT MUSTIN were my favorites in several television appearances, although Burt never( to my memory)  did a "weasel" type guy.   But, ONE guy who often on TV and in some movies who DID do "weasel" well was                  TIMOTHY CAREY---

Sepiatone

7 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Never knew his name....Mom & I would call him the "Winnie The Pooh Guy" or the "Little Mouse Guy". Didn't Disney cast him as a mouse? He has that distinctive voice.

Err, no:  The Winnie the Pooh Guy was the decidedly un-weaselly Sterling Holloway.  (Okay, maybe except for Kaa in The Jungle Book, or the TV repairman in that Twilight Zone episode.)

sterlingholloway01.jpg

And yes, Holloway played Roquefort the mouse in The Aristocats (1970).

18 hours ago, EricJ said:

Err, no:  The Winnie the Pooh Guy was the decidedly un-weaselly Sterling Holloway.

Er no: I just said we called him Winnie-the-Pooh guy because his voice was similar to that charactor's. 

Please don't insult my intelligence.  It's common knowledge Holloway voiced Pooh & a few other Disney charactors.

But I believe Helton voiced an animated mouse character, thought it was a Disney. A quick IMDB search would have pointed that out, just thought someone here might know offhand.