Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
yanceycravat

HOORAY! The Silver Cord (1933) and Sin of Nora Moran (1933) 5/03/2020

When I caught a glimpse of a kiss that turned into a somewhat prolonged oral exam between Laura Hope Crews and Eric Linden, I couldn't get the line from the song out of my head, "If you wanna know if he loves you so, it's in his kiss!".  Haven't been able to get that song or the visual out of my mind all damned day!

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Made it an hour in and couldn't take anymore, it was awful dull.

all apologies.

There's nothing like unavailability to cast a glamour over a film. In this case you can tell it was based on a play, and the studio made very little effort to "open it up." The result is a sporadically interesting drawing-room drama of airchair Freudianism. (Christine should have been a psychology postgrad, except that wasn't a thing at the time.) That said it is in its way an ancestor of the Hag Horror genre--presenting motherhood and mature femininity as something monstrous.

As for the kissing on the lips, that seems to have been okay between friends or relatives...until post-Code Hollywood seized on it as a way of showing (heterosexual) love and affection.

Shall I take one for the team, and watch a back-channel copy of Letty Lynton, to see if that causes the legal injunction on it to suddenly be resolved?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, midwestan said:

When I caught a glimpse of a kiss that turned into a somewhat prolonged oral exam between Laura Hope Crews and Eric Linden, I couldn't get the line from the song out of my head, "If you wanna know if he loves you so, it's in his kiss!".  Haven't been able to get that song or the visual out of my mind all damned day!

LOL! The SHOOP SHOOP SONG.

42 minutes ago, Polly of the Precodes said:

There's nothing like unavailability to cast a glamour over a film. In this case you can tell it was based on a play, and the studio made very little effort to "open it up." The result is a sporadically interesting drawing-room drama of airchair Freudianism. (Christine should have been a psychology postgrad, except that wasn't a thing at the time.) That said it is in its way an ancestor of the Hag Horror genre--presenting motherhood and mature femininity as something monstrous.

As for the kissing on the lips, that seems to have been okay between friends or relatives...until post-Code Hollywood seized on it as a way of showing (heterosexual) love and affection.

Shall I take one for the team, and watch a back-channel copy of Letty Lynton, to see if that causes the legal injunction on it to suddenly be resolved?

LOL. Letty Lynton is first on my list or rights issue films followed by 3 Secrets......It wasnt so much the kissing on the lips but the amount of time spent on the kiss. YUCK.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ray Faiola said:

Laura Hope Crews did a burlesque on her SILVER CORD role in Universal's OUT ALL NIGHT with Slim Summerville (he's her son) and Zasu Pitts. A very funny picture! And SILVER CORD was actually released a month after OUT ALL NIGHT.

Ray, do you know what the rights issue was with THE SILVER CORD that had kept it off TCM until now? It had been shown on the good old AMC back in the 1990s, but looking it up in my old BIB books it appears it was not available to TV from at least the 1960s through when AMC got it.

And thanks for pointing out the connection with OUT ALL NIGHT. Honestly, I found Laura Hope Crews annoying in both!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, kingrat said:

Once to Every Woman was enjoyable, too, with a fine cast.... Jane Darwell was fun as the most annoying of the patients.

Actually, Jane Darwell was not a patient, but played the mother of one of the patients.

• Thanks 1

Ray, do you know what the rights issue was with THE SILVER CORD that had kept it off TCM until now? It had been shown on the good old AMC back in the 1990s, but looking it up in my old BIB books it appears it was not available to TV from at least the 1960s through when AMC got it.

And thanks for pointing out the connection with OUT ALL NIGHT. Honestly, I found Laura Hope Crews annoying in both!

Rich - I don't know. It had to be a domestic rights issue, probably with the Sidney Howard play, as the film was being distributed worldwide (the ok.ru upload is from a Channel 1 broadcast).  I have a mint C&C print that was struck in the 60's. And of course Crews was annoying. That was her shtick. To be annoying! GWTW!!!!

By the way, Rich, did you notice that the Steiner main title to THE SILVER CORD was a retread of Max's TOPAZE?

• Thanks 1

On 5/2/2020 at 1:50 PM, TopBilled said:

THE SILVER CORD (1933) looks great. Anything with Irene Dunne is always great.

Joel McCrea was much-much more than just a western genre actor.

After reading the review for this film..I decided not to watch...sounded mundane..

During a commercial break on a show that I was watching..I turned to this movie..

I was hooked..a unique movie...anything but mundane..

Never trust the reviews

• Like 2

22 hours ago, TomJH said:

Let's get this straight, there's nothing gross about two women kissing on the lips.

By the way, did their tongues come out?

Not that I could tell!

11 hours ago, Ray Faiola said:

By the way, Rich, did you notice that the Steiner main title to THE SILVER CORD was a retread of Max's TOPAZE?

Max did that a lot, didn't he?

• Like 1

the ONE interesting "trick" that CROMWELL employed directing THE SILVER CORD was to show mother and son kissing on the lips and then do a JUMP CUT- almost as if a few seconds had been cut from the reel- and have the son standing off to the side (so that we in the audience have no idea how long the kiss lasted or how (EW!) "spicy" it got.)

Would've been hilarious if after the jump-cut, they had LAURA HOPE CREWS's mother character reclining on the sofa and smoking a cigarette while trying to fix her hair and dress- which are both out of order.

• Haha 3

13 hours ago, Arteesto said:

After reading the review for this film..I decided not to watch...sounded mundane..

During a commercial break on a show that I was watching..I turned to this movie..

I was hooked..a unique movie...anything but mundane..

Never trust the reviews

Good point. Trust yourself. Usually you know what appeals to you. :) 

• Like 1

Bit of an ick factor (and Laura Hope Crews always chews and spits out the scenery) with THE SILVER CORD but certainly worth watching if only for Irene Dunne who acts rings around everybody else.  THE SIN OF NORA MORAN hooked me in after an initial "What the hell is going on here?" reaction.  I thought Zita Johann gave a lovely performance. And,  a cool twist at the end.  Poor Alan Dinehart.  It took him the whole damn movie to finally get out of that room!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

After initially being unavailable, THE SILVER CORD showed up in my Hulu feed So I finished it. I don’t think I could’ve made it all the way through in one viewing...Although it did improve at the end somewhat.

This film may contain the single finest piece of acting Irene Dunne ever did, when her character claims that she’s 26 years old. (HAH!)

I bet the younger son probably ended up becoming a very good interior decorator.

• Haha 3

THE SIN OF NORA MORAN showed up in my HULU FEED, only under the title VOICE FROM BEYOND THE GRAVE.

Has anyone here mentioned the poster art? (which has made a lot of "GREATEST POSTERS OF ALL TIME" lists, which I assume was compiled entirely by men:

sin_of_nora_moran_xlg.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

THE SIN OF NORA MORAN showed up ...

Has anyone here mentioned the poster art? (which has made a lot of "GREATEST POSTERS OF ALL TIME" lists...)

Actually since the poster is as well known, if not more so, than the movie, I made a point NOT to mention the poster in my posts about the film.

I thought of doing a song about Cora Sue Collins to the tune of the Scooby-Doo theme: "Cora, Cora, Sue, where are you?..."