Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Long Gray Line with Tyrone Power and Maureen O'Hara (1955)

Coop2004

• 7 months later...

I really don't like this movie. It's long, overstated, embarrassing. Attempts at humor are ineffective, attempts at rousing drama awkward and overt. And ultimately, what's the point? That a man was at West Point for fifty years? And? Even the musical interludes, a technique Ford usually employs with touching results, are flat and distracting. This story doesn't need to be sidetracked. It needs to be over.

John Ford is my favorite director. But he's made several films that simply don't work for me. CHEYENNE AUTUMN is dry and meandering. TWO RODE TOGETHER is kind of convoluted. This may just be his worst. It surprises me that the greatest of all filmmakers would attach his name to such a project.

Funny you should mention The Long Grey Line. We watched it last night primarily because some of it was shot at West Point. Our Grandson got an appointment to West Point and will be leaving for the Point in June. Needless to say we're very proud of him. (What he went thru to get in is worthy of a medal!)

As for the movie - I found the movie likeable and the technicolor beautiful and, as always when I see her, wish that Betsy Palmer had been in more movies.

> {quote:title=redriver wrote:}{quote}

> I really don't like this movie. It's long, overstated, embarrassing. Attempts at humor are ineffective, attempts at rousing drama awkward and overt. And ultimately, what's the point? That a man was at West Point for fifty years? And? Even the musical interludes, a technique Ford usually employs with touching results, are flat and distracting. This story doesn't need to be sidetracked. It needs to be over.

>

> John Ford is my favorite director. But he's made several films that simply don't work for me. CHEYENNE AUTUMN is dry and meandering. TWO RODE TOGETHER is kind of convoluted. This may just be his worst. It surprises me that the greatest of all filmmakers would attach his name to such a project.

red - after all that, now I just *have* to see this movie. I know I can make it through if Tyrone is in it.

Redriver: Usually I agree with your comments but Mister, these here are fighting words. You are way off on this one!

This is my favorite Tyrone Power film and is pretty high on my all-time favorites list. It is a beautiful story of one man who doesn?t achieve what he started out to do but what he does ends up so much better.

Yes, he was at West Point for fifty years; in case you?ve forgotten that?s where we train our future military officers. The men responsible for keeping the Third Reich out of the White House and these postings from being in German rather than English trained there during Marty Maher?s time. They learned more from him than how to develop their athletic prowess; things like honor and love of country. There are men like him over at MacDill working with our Air Force personnel, thank God. That he was honored by the Academy for those years of service tells us all we need to know. He was an American-by way of Ireland-version of Mr. Chips only a real person. He too had ?thousands of children-all boys?

Power is a bit long in the tooth at the beginning but so were other leading men of the time. He ages well and convincingly and is utterly believable as is Maureen O?Hara. The courtship of Marty and Mary is sweet and passionate without making us feel like peeping Toms. Imagine that!

Someday I will write about a film I don?t like you think is Oscar worthy. I will carefully consider your opinion as I hope you will mine. The nice thing about movies is there?s something for everybody.

I agree this movie is embarrassing with the corny Hollywood Irish dripping from every syllable uttered by the principals all that "himself: and "herself" business just sticks in your throat. Why i expected Donald Crisp to break into songs & jigs from "Finnegans Rainbow" every time he appeared on camera!

My apologies if I have offended those who enjoy this film, but that's how i sees it.To-aru-alua, To--rue alie, sorry that's from another Hollywood Irish themed movie.