Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TopBilled

Films you would put on an endless loop

I love it when I find films I never tired of watching.

Screen Shot 2020-05-02 at 6.33.22 PM.jpeg

Since Britbox added EVIL UNDER THE SUN (1982) last summer, I've watched it at least forty times. Sometimes after it finishes, I click the Replay button and immediately run it again. It's such a pleasant way to spend two hours. Love the on-location filming...love the cast (Peter Ustinov is a superb Poirot)...love how every scene has a purpose in the unfolding of the murder mystery.

Here are some other films that I can watch again and again:

Screen Shot 2020-05-02 at 6.31.25 PM.png

MY NAME IS JULIA ROSS (1945). It's only 64 minutes. So it's easy to watch this one twice, sometimes even three times in a row. Nina Foch's performance captivates me.

NORA PRENTISS (1947). Kent Smith is hooked on Ann Sheridan in this classic melodrama. I'm hooked on her too!

HARRY IN YOUR POCKET (1973). This one is currently on Amazon Prime. I can't get enough of it. Walter Pidgeon is fantastic in it...and so is James Coburn.

THE LETTER (1940). So watchable, and so rewatchable. 

How about you? Which films do you like to watch over and over..?

Victor/Victoria (1982)

9cce45780094269f5f0b9b49ba1a80dc.jpg

I never get tired of it and it always makes me laugh.

• Like 2

I watch films over and over all the time.   I may have even watched some of these more than one time in the same day!

lltsky-main1.jpg

1) The Long, Long Trailer.  No surprise there, I'm sure.   A fun game to play is to count how many times different characters wear the blue coat that Desi is sporting in the photo above. 

FAVORITE PART: The fiasco at night when Lucy and Desi decide to go off-road in the trailer, to find a secluded site to spend the night.  They end up getting stuck in the mud, the trailer is crooked, and it starts raining.  Lucy and Desi spend the evening falling into the leaning side of the trailer--culminating with Lucy falling out of the trailer into a 3' deep mud puddle... Leading us to my favorite quote of the film:

LUCY is trying to get into bed, however, her bed is on the uphill side of the trailer.  Yes, she *should* get into Desi's downhill bed and sleep next to him, but this is 1954 and married couples do not share beds! LUCY attempts to get into bed by leaping into it and hanging on.

(cut to scene of the trailer falling off the jack as it sinks into the mud)

LUCY screams as she flies out the door, into a 3' mud puddle.

DESI (looking out the door, half asleep, after being woken up by LUCY's scream): What's the matter honey? Can't you sleep?

---

10b5dbf9b1d8ada75aea9d0c25a732d2.jpg

2) Gidget. I love this movie.  Sandra Dee is adorable.  Moondoggie is super cute.  Poor Bat Girl (aka Yvonne Craig) wears the world's most unflattering bikini. 

FAVORITE PART: Gidget comes back to the beach after a two-week hiatus (due to tonsillitis) .  She's talking to Kahuna about her highly improved surfing skills.  Moondoggie walks by as she's speaking to Kahuna.  She is briefly distracted and stops speaking as she watches Moondoggie walk by.

FAVORITE QUOTE: The busy body who sees Gidget and Moondoggie going into Kahuna's beach shack.  

"I can spot trouble through a crack in the blinds!"

---

meet-me-in-st-louis.jpg?itok=oYw5YstU

3) Meet Me in St. Louis. I never tire of this film.  Judy Garland was never better.  Margaret O'Brien is hilarious (and I say this as someone who doesn't normally like child actors).  Tom Drake is adorable.  I love the Smith Family home and wish I could live there.

FAVORITE PART: Lon's raucous going away party, complete with a performance by his little sister and a rousing sing-a-long to "Skip to My Lou." 

FAVORITE QUOTE(S): 

-WARREN barges into the Smith family home: ROSE SMITH, I LOVE YOU.

-TOOTIE after throwing flour at Mr. Brokhov, I KILLED HIM! 

This conversation between ROSE and ESTHER:

ROSE: Men don't want the bloom rubbed off

ESTHER: Personally, I think I have too much bloom

---

vlvbeige-main1.jpg

4) Viva Las Vegas. Elvis' movies are derided for being dumb, or for Elvis being a bad actor, etc. No, Elvis isn't the greatest actor, but this film is fun and I never get tired of watching it.

FAVORITE PART: Elvis and Ann-Margret's dance to "C'mon Everybody."  Every time I see this and see Ann-Margret in her leotard (nylons?) and red sweater, I immediately feel like I need to go on a diet and major exercise regimen. 

FAVORITE QUOTE: 

(There's a knock on the door, it's Elvis after fighting with Ann-Marget)

ANN-MARGRET (to father): You answer it, and if it's anybody, I don't want to speak to him!

---

29025id_136_medium.jpg

5) Mildred Pierce.  I'm not normally a fan of Joan Crawford, but love her post-ingenue/pre-horror biddy part of her career.  Her Oscar-winning role in the titular role in Mildred Pierce might be her best.  I also love Ann Blyth as Veda.  Veda is my favorite character in this film.  This film also made me wish that Eve Arden and Jack Carson had made a buddy picture together.

FAVORITE PART: Despite Veda being my favorite character, the part when Joan slaps her across the face is pretty fantastic.

FAVORITE QUOTE(S): 

WALLY: I hate all women

IDA: My My

WALLY: Thank goodness you're not one

VEDA: It's your fault (Mildred's) I am the way I am.

---

I have many more, but that's what I thought of off the top of my head right now.  

• Like 2

There was a time in my life when I could have easily watched The Godfather twice in one day and probably did. I would probably say the same about The Godfather, Part II, if they would take out the DeNiro flashback scenes. I know he won an Oscar and all but ... meh. 

Casablanca I always get sucked into, no matter how many times I've seen it. David Lean's Great ExpectationsStagecoachGunfight at the OK CorralThe Apartment. Any number of Billy Wilders, honestly - Ace in the Hole, Sunset Blvd., Double Indemnity. Ummmm .... Mr. Smith Goes to WashingtonThe Public Enemy. Some of the ones mentioned above, The LetterMildred Pierce. Maybe Gidget, even. Vertigo. Several Joseph Mankiewicz films - No Way Out, All about Eve, A Letter to Three Wives. Several William Wyler movies - The Best Years of Our Lives, Wuthering Heights, Detective Story. Oh well, There are probably plenty more, like Gerald said, those were the first ones that popped into my head.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

There was a time in my life when I could have easily watched The Godfather twice in one day and probably did. I would probably say the same about The Godfather, Part II, if they would take out the DeNiro flashback scenes. I know he won an Oscar and all but ... meh. 

Casablanca I always get sucked into, no matter how many times I've seen it. David Lean's Great ExpectationsStagecoachGunfight at the OK CorralThe Apartment. Any number of Billy Wilders, honestly - Ace in the Hole, Sunset Blvd., Double Indemnity. Ummmm .... Mr. Smith Goes to WashingtonThe Public Enemy. Some of the ones mentioned above, The LetterMildred Pierce. Maybe Gidget, even. Vertigo. Several Joseph Mankiewicz films - No Way Out, All about Eve, A Letter to Three Wives. Several William Wyler movies - The Best Years of Our Lives, Wuthering Heights, Detective Story. Oh well, There are probably plenty more, like Gerald said, those were the first ones that popped into my head.

Great choices! I can also watch All About Eve, The Apartment, and Double Indemnity over and over.  I agree about Wilder's films being very re-watchable.  I can also watch Some Like it Hot over and over.  I can't believe I forgot about Casablanca.  Yes, I am always entranced by that film every time it's on.  The same thing happens to me with The Birdcage.  Every time it's on TV, I always seem to catch it when everyone is looking closely at the bowls.  "Don't you have any girls on your bowls?" 

My re-watchable Hitchcock would probably be Rear Window.  That movie is fantastic and I always find Hitchcock's apartment courtyard so fascinating to watch.  Even just the basic idea of all the neighbors having names, despite not having any lines, and not really being any part of the film but having a storyline (no matter how mundane) to also be fascinating and very realistic.  If someone is homebound for awhile, they're apt to pick up on their neighbors' comings and goings.  My dad is furloughed right now, and he's determined that one neighbor's brother is getting divorced and moving in; another neighbor he thinks has someone coming home for a quickie during lunch; there was another neighbor that he thinks was having bill trouble as he saw him filling a bucket using the neighbor's water spigot.  So many things happening during the day... Lol. My dad might be turning into Gladys Kravitz. 

• Like 2

My parents have spent the last seven and a half weeks almost entirely indoors, and I've spent most of that time with them. They too are very concerned about the comings and goings of the nieghtbors, especially the ones on either side of them, but the whole street, really. 

• Haha 3

38 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

My parents have spent the last seven and a half weeks almost entirely indoors, and I've spent most of that time with them. They too are very concerned about the comings and goings of the nieghtbors, especially the ones on either side of them, but the whole street, really. 

Lol.  My dad despises the neighbor whose brother is moving in with him, so anything he sees that might inconvenience the neighbor, he supports. 

Thankfully, he hasn't had a Mr. Thorwald experience yet. 

• Like 1

Any Disney animated feature I can re-watch and never tire of; my favorite being THE NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS. Some others are:

THE WIND, SUNRISE, BRIEF ENCOUNTER, A MATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH, THE GRAPES OF WRATH, MEET JOHN DOE, THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES, MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS, TO EACH HIS OWN, RASHOMON, and  just about any Fred Astaire film.

• Like 2

Aguirre: the Wrath of God - I could watch this one a hundred times. 

Aguiire.jpg

• Thanks 1

Age of Consent (1969) I can watch Helen Mirren  posing for James Mason on the Great Barrier Reef over and  over...Age of Consent (1969))

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

On 5/2/2020 at 9:35 PM, TopBilled said:

THE LETTER (1940). So watchable, and so rewatchable. 

Do you like the 1947 version..The Unfaithful ..Ann Sheridan

1 hour ago, Arteesto said:

Do you like the 1947 version..The Unfaithful ..Ann Sheridan

Yes, very much. Also enjoy the 1929 version.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Also enjoy the 1929 version.

I like the Ann Sheridan version better...and...I like most anything with Bette Davis.

Who is in the 1929 version?

7 minutes ago, Arteesto said:

I like the Ann Sheridan version better...and...I like most anything with Bette Davis.

Who is in the 1929 version?

image.jpeg.4446b803aedfa01ec7f327ff098cacdf.jpeg

This pre-code version is racy and more 'true' to the novel,   but in some ways the Wyler version is more true to a noir vision.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Jeanne Eagels is fantastic in the 1929 version of THE LETTER.

20 years ago I would have said Casablanca, but I finally got maxed out on about the 10th viewing.

At this point, of the top of my head I could probably watch these at least another 8 or 10 times:

Trouble in Paradise (My favorite Lubitsch by far, my favorite Hopkins, my favorite Francis, and my favorite Marshall.  An absolute gem.)
The Killers (The greatest noir.....)
Out of the Past (.....unless this one is)
Charade (The ONLY movie where Audrey was paired with a much older man that didn't kind of creep me out)
Angi Vera (The best political movie ever, and I finally got a subtitled MP4 version so I can watch it on my computer)
Short Cuts (Just watched it for the 4th or 5th time the other night, and it only gets better)
There Will Be Blood (see Short Cuts comment)
The Sheep Has Five Legs (The perfect Fernandel movie, where he plays both a father and all five quintuplets)
Pixote (A heartbreaking story centered around Sao Paulo's street children)
Stella Dallas (My favorite tearjerker)
Oh, and of course: ALL ABOUT EVE

(Have to stop it there or I could go on forever.)

• Like 1

GOING HOLLYWOOD (1933) a surreal musical starring Marion Davies and Bing Crosby. Terrific songs by Crosby and a catfight between Davies and Fifi D'Orsay. Then there's that barnyard dance by Davies. Great stuff.

02c2fcea73c532014acd4b53354a283b.jpg

• Like 1

The Best Years of Our Lives

A Star is Born (1937)

The Big Sleep

The Maltese Falcon

Back Street (1941)

Stagecoach (1939)

Strangers on a Train

Top Hat

Dark Victory

Mildred Pierce

Umbrellas of Cherbourg

Dr. Strangelove

It's a Wonderful Life

All About Eve

The Miracle of Morgan's Creek

Roman Holiday

The Red Shoes

La Belle et La Bête (1946)

The Band Wagon

Young Frankenstein

42nd Street

Airplane!

• Like 1

On 5/3/2020 at 9:00 PM, cigarjoe said:

Age of Consent (1969) I can watch Helen Mirren  posing for James Mason on the Great Barrier Reef over and  over...Age of Consent (1969))

that's even better than her having a baby in Excalibur.

:D

Babe couldn't be a more perfect movie. I'm an animal lover anyway and that pig gets me every time. I must have watched this a million times growing up.

I'm totally the kind of person who would dance for my sick pet.

On 5/2/2020 at 8:57 PM, speedracer5 said:

Sandra Dee is adorable

I was there when she first came out (big deal, right. It just means that I'm old. But I DID her first :lol:). I had a delayed crush on her as many as 20 or more years later. I couldn't look at her without a mist. Some of those early photos with Jimmy are so appealing. I love seeing them together. What a magnificent couple they were. I caught up her much later when she did a television interview with her and Jimmy's son. I was shocked to learn all that. But she will always be unforgettable.

• Like 1

Don't know what to say since most of my great "films" come from the BBC. But what about the Golden Age? How about Dodsworth, maybe. It would be hard not to continually appreciate Ruth Chatterton. A great story. And not to forget that I have been in love with Edith Cortwright despite the fact that she is fictional (hey, you can't everything).

• Like 3

thanks again top, think youn are the author

but per stll all MODANNA CONERS-(11-12 of them to date & ver dis, though I far more adore her epic concerts of over 2hrs1/12

then I guess the first 2 GODFATHERS

BAD DAY AT BACK ROCK

ANGELS WITH DIRTY FACES & so on   & THE QUIET MAN, SHANE is yet another

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, spence said:

thanks again top, think youn are the author

but per stll all MODANNA CONERTS-(11-12 of them to date & ver dis, though I far more adore her epic concerts of over 2hrs & some of her famous videos, but not nearly as much

then I guess the first 2 GODFATHERS

BAD DAY AT BACK ROCK

ANGELS WITH DIRTY FACES & so on   & THE QUIET MAN, SHANE is yet another & TREASURE SIERRA MADRE

& even though it's been almost 39yrs it is too painful to watch NATALIE'S flix over & over