Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TopBilled

Films you would put on an endless loop

2 minutes ago, spence said:

MEAN STREETS used to be another

• Like 1

On 5/4/2020 at 9:37 PM, AndyM108 said:

20 years ago I would have said Casablanca, but I finally got maxed out on about the 10th viewing.

At this point, of the top of my head I could probably watch these at least another 8 or 10 times:

Trouble in Paradise (My favorite Lubitsch by far, my favorite Hopkins, my favorite Francis, and my favorite Marshall.  An absolute gem.)
The Killers (The greatest noir.....)
Out of the Past (.....unless this one is)
Charade (The ONLY movie where Audrey was paired with a much older man that didn't kind of creep me out)
Angi Vera (The best political movie ever, and I finally got a subtitled MP4 version so I can watch it on my computer)
Short Cuts (Just watched it for the 4th or 5th time the other night, and it only gets better)
There Will Be Blood (see Short Cuts comment)
The Sheep Has Five Legs (The perfect Fernandel movie, where he plays both a father and all five quintuplets)
Pixote (A heartbreaking story centered around Sao Paulo's street children)
Stella Dallas (My favorite tearjerker)
Oh, and of course: ALL ABOUT EVE

(Have to stop it there or I could go on forever.)

What,  no,   Three on a Match,  Easy Living,  You Can't Take it with You,  Mr. Smith Goes to Washington,  Meet John Doe,  Johnny Eager,  Kismet,   or The City Never Sleeps?

Is your avatar from Eyes in the Night?     I only ask because I can't see how you can't have some of those films above on repeat! 

Oh so many films, but here's my choices for films I can watch over and over again:

THE ROARING TWENTIES, CASABLANCA, WHITE HEAT, BRINGING UP BABY, THE PUBLIC ENEMY, KEY LARGO,  THE LITTLE FOXES,  ALL ABOUT EVE, THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES, A STAR IS BORN (1954), IT'S A MAD, MAD, MAD, MAD WORLD, SPARTACUS, OUT OF THE PAST, JEZEBEL, ANGELS WITH DIRTY FACES, TWELVE ANGRY MEN (1957)….

I better stop now. But these are the movies that instantly came to my mind when I read this topic.

• Like 2

On 5/4/2020 at 9:52 PM, UMO1982 said:

GOING HOLLYWOOD (1933) a surreal musical starring Marion Davies and Bing Crosby. Terrific songs by Crosby and a catfight between Davies and Fifi D'Orsay. Then there's that barnyard dance by Davies. Great stuff.

02c2fcea73c532014acd4b53354a283b.jpg

went by her maus a few times in the middle of HOLLYWOOD FOREVER, PARK-(the one that borders PARAMOUNT & OLD RKO)

BUT, HER NAME ON THE OUTSIDE IS NOT DAVIES, BUT DUVRAS   DAGWOOD ARTHUR LAKE IS INSIDE

Topbilled, are we limited to just one on an endless loop?

Because I can have THE THREE STOOGES SHORTS (l934-59) ON ALL DAY!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, spence said:

Topbilled, are we limited to just one on an endless loop?

As many as you like, Spence!

Eventually, anyone would get tired or sick of their ultimate, all time favorite movie if seen overandoverandoverandoverandover.......again and again. Now, like SPENCE I might have said I feel the same about LAUREL AND HARDY shorts(not the 3 Stooges), but the Movies! channel has been showing those shorts repeatedly every Saturday morning for a couple of years now, and I'm finally sated and have had enough for now.  I'll let some time go by and just dig into my collection for my L&H fix. 

Now, there are some movies I can watch repeatedly for spells, some even daily for a while.  but, on a continuous loop?  I don't think so.....

Sepiatone

• Like 1

Just now, Sepiatone said:

Eventually, anyone would get tired or sick of their ultimate, all time favorite movie if seen overandoverandoverandoverandover.......again and again. Now, like SPENCE I might have said I feel the same about LAUREL AND HARDY shorts(not the 3 Stooges), but the Movies! channel has been showing those shorts repeatedly every Saturday morning for a couple of years now, and I'm finally sated and have had enough for now.  I'll let some time go by and just dig into my collection for my L&H fix. 

Now, there are some movies I can watch repeatedly for spells, some even daily for a while.  but, on a continuous loop?  I don't think so.....

Sepiatone

THEN YOU MUST HAVE OR PLAN TO CHECK OUT THE UTTERLY MARVELOUS TEAR JERKING  STAN & OLLIE

I wrote a pc about just this on here  WE HAD COMEDIC HEAVYWEIGHTS in those days, WHO NOW???

11 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

As many as you like, Spence!

THANX & SORRY TO BE LIKE A BROKEN RECORD, M.A.D.O.N.N.A. , MATTER OF FACT MY RECORD FOR BINGE WATCHING HER-(concerts & not videos)IS OVER 26hrs) IT GOT SDO BAD, OR GREAT TO ME I SUFFERED MY FIRST MINOR HEART ATTACK IN EARLY 2015   NOWHERE LIKE THE NEWEST ONE AT THE STORE THOUGH

& THE GODFATHER I & II I've had on many times over the years kinda looping

THANK YOU

• Like 1

Just now, spence said:

THEN YOU MUST HAVE OR PLAN TO CHECK OUT THE UTTERLY MARVELOUS TEAR JERKING  STAN & OLLIE

I can't disagree with that assessment Spence.  Thought it was great too.  Soon as the local Amazon relay warehouse in nearby Romulus, MI ends it's walk out I plan to order a copy.  Thought Reilly was brilliant as Oliver,  Excellent make-up work too. Was unfamiliar with the British actor who handled Stan's role, but KUDOS to him, too!

Sepiatone

• Like 1

On 5/2/2020 at 9:35 PM, TopBilled said:

THE LETTER (1940). So watchable, and so rewatchable. 

I just watched that again on TCM in the past few days.  BETTE DAVIS has several great films that are endlessly watchable.  THE LETTER might be the top of the list. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spence said:

Yes!!!!!!!

Any of Hitchcock's films I could watch endlessly. I probably watch Psycho and North by Northwest at least three times a year. Never get tired of them.

• Like 1

Young Frankenstein for me. 

Put ze candle beck!

Where are you going? I was going to make espresso. 

Follow me please. Be careful. The staircase ken be treacherous. 

Frau Blucher!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Hmm.  This is a tough one. 

While I figure this one out, here's an actual "endless loop" film mechanism being threaded and used.  These were used only in special circumstances, like showing trailers in the lobby while people waited in line, or repeating exhibits in trade shows or amusement parks.

1) The first thing you see here are 2000' shipping reels of film (cores), about 20 min of playtime each, being spliced onto a larger reel, likely a 6000' reel.

2) Then you see the film being transferred from that reel to a regular platter. 

• A single platter could hold just about any movie, in its entirety, with all its segments spliced together and trailers added.
  • The "platter tree" you see here has three platters, and is characteristic of what multiplex projection booths used up until digital cinema replaced film.  Three platters gives you a supply, a take-up, and a spare for a second movie that is ready to be threaded and shown at alternate times.
  •  A platter needs to be re-threaded by the projectionist for each showing, but never needs to be rewound.  Platters are capable of both take-up and supply (they always turn in the same direction).  For take-up, a large ring is placed in the middle, and the film is wound around it.  For supply, the large take-up ring is removed and a smaller supply mechanism is placed in the center, and that directs the film up and away from the center of the platter. 

3) Next you see the film transferred from the conventional platter, through the projector, and to a special "endless loop" platter.

4) After the supply platter runs out, with the film still threaded in the endless loop platter and projector, the ends are spliced together.
Genius.,,though I admit it's kind of "out there".
P.S. At the very end, I'm thinking there was a time lapse and he might already be breaking it down, as a regular take-up platter is shown again for the take-up.

• Thanks 1

I don't think I would want an endless loop of a film.  Never a Three Stooges or Madonna fan.  Interesting comment re: Audrey Hepburn (one of my favorites).

I love Hitchcock, but Psycho gave me nightmares (original - and the Janet Leigh scene wasn't the scariest for me).  I wish they would show Notorious and The 39 Steps (great Robert Donat Film).  As for Audrey Hepburn, I love Two for the Road (with Albert Finney).  Vivian Leigh (another of my faves) made two films with Rex Harrison (I think one has Charles L.).  While not politically correct for many reasons, The Philadelphia Story and Nothing Sacred are always enjoyable.  Also like, Designing Woman (not sure if that is the title of film with Lauren B. and Gregory P.), A Letter to Three Wives (you feel badly - vs. bad - as said by Kirk Douglas), How to Marry a Millionaire, Nick and Nora Charles films, some noir films, and, while I've watched it too many times to remember, Citizen Kane.  Forgot to add Born Yesterday (original) and The Solid Gold Cadillac.

I want TCM to find a new favorite for me.

• Like 2

I found a new favorite on Amazon Prime a few nights ago. A nicely restored copy of ONE EYED JACKS. I'd never watched it because most prints were inferior quality and when I watch Brando I want to see it all clearly.

Anyway, this film is now cleaned up...and it was so great, I immediately put it on replay. And in the last three days I've watched it going on ten times.

• Like 1

Two slightly heavier options: West Side Story and Fiddler on the Roof. I absolutely love these musicals; two of my favorite movies of all time... I would never get tired of hearing the music (I've been listening to "Tevye's Dream" almost every day this week. 

For a more fun, lighthearted option: Beetlejuice. This one never fails to put me in a good mood. 

• Like 3

2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY

BARRY LYNDON 

YOU CAN'T TAKE IT WITH YOU

LAWRENCE OF ARABIA

BLACK NARCISSUS

AMERICAN GRAFFITI

NORTH BY NORTHWEST

THE LITTLE FOXES

THE GREAT LIE 

• Like 3

On 5/3/2020 at 12:40 AM, sewhite2000 said:

Great ExpectationsStagecoachGunfight at the OK CorralThe Apartment. Any number of Billy Wilders, honestly - Ace in the Hole, Sunset Blvd., Double Indemnity. Ummmm .... Mr. Smith Goes to WashingtonThe Public Enemy. Some of the ones mentioned above, The LetterMildred Pierce. Maybe Gidget, even. Vertigo. Several Joseph Mankiewicz films - No Way Out, All about Eve, A Letter to Three Wives

Very nice selections, particularly GREAT EXPECTATIONS... and ALL ABOUT EVE... and A LETTER TO THREE WIVES...

• Like 2

On 5/3/2020 at 12:50 AM, speedracer5 said:

My re-watchable Hitchcock would probably be Rear Window.  That movie is fantastic and I always find Hitchcock's apartment courtyard so fascinating to watch.

... and each of the neighbors' lives we glimpse are possible futures for JAMES STEWART and GRACE KELLY ... including the worse case scenario :  murder.

• Like 1

Like the rest of you there are far too many to list them all. Here are a few of my favorites (subject to change at any time). 

Casablanca, Dark Passage, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Tombstone,  Malcom X and Zodiak.  

I know it's a weird mix, but I like them all for different reasons.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Hoganman1 said:

Like the rest of you there are far too many to list them all. Here are a few of my favorites (subject to change at any time). 

Casablanca, Dark Passage, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Tombstone,  Malcom X and Zodiak.  

I know it's a weird mix, but I like them all for different reasons.

I agree that DARK PASSAGE is very re-watchable. Something about it just pulls me right in...and makes me want to go back to the beginning and start it all over again.