Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Tally of number of times a movie has aired on TCM over the years?

Hi everyone,

Apologies if this has been discussed before, but I'm curious if there is any kind of database or someone who has tracked the number of times movies air on TCM starting from its inception in 1994 to the present day.

I read in an article celebrating TCM's 25th anniversary last year that Casablanca was the film that has aired on the network the most number of times (approximately 150 times), which of course makes me wonder about the number of times any random film has aired over the years. I realize that this would be something in constant need of updating every day/week/month to keep the tallies on airings accurate and up to date, but I'd be curious if anything has been collected.

Now, when you look up a movie on TCM's database, you can find out easily whether or not it is going to air on TCM at some point in the near future. That obviously is great and useful, but I'm equally interested in the historic data. Might be neat to see how a film's popularity has ebbed and flowed among TCM's audience.

Any ideas on this? Thanks in advance.

1 hour ago, Lambear1982 said:

I'm . . . . interested in the historic data. Might be neat to see how a film's popularity has ebbed and flowed among TCM's audience.

It has crossed my mind occasionally to wonder about the number of times a movie has been shown and the pattern of it's airing.  But a movie's popularity with the TCM audience is not related to when or how often it is shown.  TCM viewers don't set the schedule, except I think Backlot members sometimes have the option of choosing between a couple of movies to air.

In addition, here is a list based on frequency shown, ordered from shown 1x to many x:
http://www.moviecollectoroh.com/reports/Movies-Only_times-shown-&-last-scheduled.htm

To add, I don't put any importance on the amount of times a particular movie is shown, other than the annoyance factor, if you don't like a particular movie.  (In fact, I couldn't care less, and I am the one who came up with it.)   I just list it as a raw statistic.

My only objective in beginning of this project was to look for movies I didn't already have.

The figure of Casablanca shown 150x, back at the time that article came out, seems to be a nice roundabout number for the sake of the article.  Probably  a bit on the high end.  (My figures are missing some of the earlier months, but not really that much anymore.)

Ah, I knew somebody would be tracking something like this. Glad to know the TCM message board wouldn't let me down. :)

That's great information you're capturing MovieCollectorOH! I guess the limitation of your list is it only lists the airtime dates of the last two times a movie has aired, but knowing a film has been broadcast 5, 10, 15, 20 times, etc. is still valuable to know regardless.

3 hours ago, Lambear1982 said:

Ah, I knew somebody would be tracking something like this. Glad to know the TCM message board wouldn't let me down. :)

That's great information you're capturing MovieCollectorOH! I guess the limitation of your list is it only lists the airtime dates of the last two times a movie has aired, but knowing a film has been broadcast 5, 10, 15, 20 times, etc. is still valuable to know regardless.

Glad you found it helpful.  The aesthetics of the HTML tables were the biggest factor in sticking with the two recent airings per movie.  In most cases two airings allow for others to at least see the last previous airing - even in the case there is an upcoming scheduled airing, there will still be one from the past.