Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
midnight08

What did you think of Sunday evening's TCM premieres?

I totally messed up. I had wanted to watch the three TCM premieres but I thought they were being aired tonight (May 4).  They aired last night starting at 8pm.  I was wondering what the viewers thought of these films. I had seen "The Silver Cord" over 20 years ago on the old AMC and wondered if this film was tied up in some legal issues which is why it was never aired before on TCM. It's an RKO film so they wouldn't have had a problem airing it. What about the other two? I hope TCM will air them again. 

So far I've seen two of them. THE SILVER CORD and ONCE TO EVERY WOMAN.

Of the two The Silver Cord was better. A great cast giving strong performances. A good script by Jane Murfin based on a successful play by Sidney Howard gives Laura Hope Crews the best part of her career. Crews had played the part on stage as well. Great to see early Joel McCrea. He and Frances Dee met on this film and they later married. Sustaining one of the longest marriage in his Hollywood history. Irene Dunne is the star of the film fighting to keep her husband from the clutches of his mother. Eric Linden plays McCrea's younger brother. (Sidney Howard won a posthumous Academy Award for adapting Gone With the Wind which also starred Crews as Aunt Pittypat.)

Once To Every Woman had some interesting moments but the story and script were weak. The lives of an up and coming doctor (Ralph Bellamy) and a tough head nurse (Fay Wray) intertwine at a city hospital. Walter Connolly plays the aging head of surgery who faces the realization his days of being a good surgeon are over. Lots of Melodrama. I enjoy watching Walter Connolly so this was a first for me.

Anytime I have the chance to see movies from the 1930's I have never seen before is a good time. One of my favorite things that TCM does is rescue films from obscurity. You have to understand that a bad 1930's film is better than a good movie from the present day for me. I was going in ready to have a good time either way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It was great.  Classic Pre-Code films are cool and I’ve got a great idea.  I’m headed to the Friday Night Spotlight board.

• Like 1

There is already a thread about these movies, titled "Hooray! The Silver Cord (1933) and Sin of Nora Moran (1933) 5/03/2020".

Lots of comments ... check it out.