monday the 27th of july

sex and the single girl (1964) with natalie wood
don't make waves (1967) with claudia cardinale
not with my wife you don't! (1966) with george c. scott
insignificance (1985) with gary busey

• Like 1

FINALLY! Now where's JOAN BENNETT???

• Like 3

What's pleasing is that we get three rarely seen Universals as part of the mix: All-American, The Outsider, and The Perfect Furlough

• Like 2

On 5/4/2020 at 11:51 PM, Hibi said:

I see her 3 days a week on Dark Shadows on Decades.   (but yea,  she should be the next SOTM!).

6 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

What's pleasing is that we get three rarely seen Universals as part of the mix: All-American, The Outsider, and The Perfect Furlough

If I recall correctly, THE PERFECT FURLOUGH aired a few years ago when Janet Leigh was Star of the Month. Of course, it was inevitable that Tony eventually get his due as well.

When he was alive, he used to say that TCM stood for Tony Curtis Movies. I think he wanted to be selected as Star of the Month, but unfortunately that didn't happen during his lifetime. Better late than never!

I am hoping that his kids will participate. It would be nice if Kelly, Jamie Lee or Allegra are able to present a night of their dad's films.

On 5/7/2020 at 2:09 PM, CinemaInternational said:

You forgot to mention CAPTAIN NEWMAN M.D., a 1963 medical comedy in which Tony costars with Gregory Peck. It's also a Universal film.

Screen Shot 2020-05-10 at 8.44.26 AM.jpeg

Tony Curtis made a lot of films while he was under contract at Universal from the late 1940s to the mid-1960s. Some of them have been issued on home video.

CRISS CROSS (1949) Universal noir in which he has a small role.

CITY ACROSS THE RIVER (1949) another Universal noir in which he has a small part.

JOHNNY STOOL PIGEON (1949) Universal noir in which he's fourth-billed.

THE LADY GAMBLES (1949) Universal drama starring Barbara Stanwyck; T.C. has a bit part as a bellboy.

TAKE ONE FALSE STEP (1949) another Universal noir, in which he makes an uncredited appearance.

FRANCIS (1950) his first comedy at Universal; he has a small role.

WOMAN IN HIDING (1950) a woman in peril drama from Universal; his voice is heard.

I WAS A SHOPLIFTER (1950) Universal noir in which he's fourth-billed.

SIERRA (1950) his first western at Universal; he's sixth-billed; it was his first time working with Audie Murphy.

WINCHESTER '73 (1950) Universal western in which he has a minor role.

KANSAS RAIDERS (1950) another Universal western starring Audie Murphy; T.C. is fifth-billed; this was the first time he was credited as Tony Curtis; previously he had been credited as Anthony Curtis.

THE PRINCE WHO WAS A THIEF (1951) Universal swashbuckler; his first lead role at the studio; first of several pictures with Piper Laurie. From this point forward, all his pictures at Universal feature him in lead roles unless otherwise indicated.

FLESH AND FURY (1952) Universal noir; leading lady is Jan Sterling.

NO ROOM FOR THE GROOM (1952) Universal rom-com; reunited with Piper Laurie.

SON OF ALI BABA (1952) Universal adventure flick with Piper Laurie.

MEET DANNY WILSON (1952) Universal musical drama starring Frank Sinatra; T.C. has a cameo.

ALL AMERICAN (1953) Universal sports drama with Lori Nelson.

FORBIDDEN (1953) Universal noir with Joanne Dru.

JOHNNY DARK (1954) Universal noir with Piper Laurie.

THE BLACK SHIELD OF FALWORTH (1954) Universal historical drama with Janet Leigh; filmed in CinemaScope; T.C's second movie with Janet Leigh-- the first one was HOUDINI, which had been made a year earlier when he was loaned out to Paramount.

SO THIS IS PARIS (1955) Universal musical comedy; not counting MEET DANNY WILSON, this was T.C.'s only significant role in a musical; leading lady is Gloria DeHaven.

SIX BRIDGES TO CROSS (1955) Universal noir with George Nader and Julie Adams.

THE PURPLE MASK (1955) Universal swashbuckler with Colleen Miller and Angela Lansbury.

THE SQUARE JUNGLE (1955) Universal noir/sports drama with Pat Crowley and Ernest Borgnine.

THE RAWHIDE YEARS (1956) Universal western with Colleen Miller; the only time T.C. played a western lead.

MISTER CORY (1957) Universal noir with Martha Hyer and Charles Bickford; in CinemaScope.

THE MIDNIGHT STORY (1957) Universal noir with Marisa Pavan; in CinemaScope.

THE PERFECT FURLOUGH (1958) Universal rom-com with Janet Leigh; in CinemaScope.

OPERATION PETTICOAT (1959) Universal war comedy; T.C. is second billed after Cary Grant.

SPARTACUS (1960) Universal historical epic; T.C. is sixth-billed in this star-studded picture.

THE GREAT IMPOSTOR (1961) Universal crime comedy-drama with Edmond O'Brien.

40 POUNDS OF TROUBLE (1962) Universal comedy with Suzanne Pleshette; a remake of LITTLE MISS MARKER (1934).

THE LIST OF ADRIAN MESSENGER (1963) Universal mystery; T.C. has a cameo.

CAPTAIN NEWMAN M.D. (1963) Universal medical comedy-drama; T.C. is second-billed after Gregory Peck.

WILD AND WONDERFUL (1964) Universal comedy with Christine Kaufmann; T.C.'s last film under contract at Universal.

LITTLE MISS MARKER (1980) Universal comedy; T.C.'s return to the studio as a freelance actor; this time he is third-billed, playing a different character than he did in 40 POUNDS OF TROUBLE.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A great list that really stirs some memories. Many of them I saw on AMC back in the day since they showed Universal films all the time. Some of the cheesier ones I saw as a kid in the local theater. One I wish TCM would show is 40 Pounds of Trouble with Suzanne Pleshette and a really good child actress. It features an extended Disneyland sequence and is one of the few movies ever allowed to film in the park.  I'd also love to see Nicholas Roeg's Insignificance (1985), in which he played a character based on Joe McCarthy, alongside characters based on Marilyn Monroe, Joe DiMaggio and Albert Einstein. Another one which gets ignored is The Mirror Crack'd; it could serve equally well to represent his co-stars Elizabeth Taylor, Rock Hudson, Kim Novak and Angela Lansbury yet never gets picked. (Granted, it's only so-so.) I know TCM has shown Operation Petticoat but not nearly enough. If it's on YouTube for free, surely Universal could part  with it for a TCM showing. (It's a  Republic video release; would that make a difference?) 

P.S.  Just checked the monthly schedule and Insignificance is now part of the lineup on the 27th.  It's been remastered by Criterion so it should be the best print.

• Like 1

He also gives a good performance in LEPKE (1975).  That’s a Warner Brothers film, so I’m surprised it’s not on the schedule for the 27th.

• Like 1

On 5/4/2020 at 11:51 PM, Hibi said:

Ironically, CapitolFest -a rare film festival in Rome NY's historic Capitol Theater- was spotlighting both Joan & Constance Bennett's films this year. I was so excited about attending since previous years were stars I personally dislike. But can't go unless seating is "distanced". The place is certainly big enough. 

So its still on?

14 hours ago, Hibi said:

So its still on?

I believe so. But they better think things through, they can't just go along as before.

I also wanted to mention Tony Curtis in THE BOSTON STRANGLER is excellent. I recorded last time TCM showed it & was amazed at how good it was.

The_Boston_Strangler.JPG

(my brother resembles Tony Curtis...that picture looks just like him!)

Is nobody going to point out that Tony Curtis is star of the month, and we're not having The Sweet Smell of Success?

23 minutes ago, skimpole said:

Is nobody going to point out that Tony Curtis is star of the month, and we're not having The Sweet Smell of Success?

Well we get the All American !!! 1 of the 2 films i have not seen by him,this the highlight for me!!!  Thank you TCM

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skimpole said:

Yea,  that stinks!

• Like 1

When I went down below to the sneak peak of this month’s TCM Now Playing Guide email in last month’s TCM Now Playing Guide email and saw that Tony Curtis was going to be Star Of The Month this month.  I was so excited.  He’ll be a great one.  He’s another great one.  Remember when he guest starred on America’s Funniest Home Videos when Bob Saget hosted and he tied him and did a magic trick?  It was funny and when he was the voice of himself as Stoney Curtis on The Flintstones?  That was great too.  So this will be fun.

• Like 1