Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

July 2020 Schedule Is Posted

2 minutes ago, musicalnovelty said:

That link is taking me only to the May schedule, with no way I can see to go ahead to July.

The banner says May. The actual dates reflect July. May started on a Friday. July 1 is Wednesday. 

I'm seeing it.  For some reason Wednesday evening isn't available, which suggests something special (fingers crossed).   The first days don't look very different.  We get the yearly showing of 1776, because Hollywood has made so few films about the American revolution.  But as it proceeds there are some new movies.  There's the TCM premiere of Yi Yi.  And I've always wanted to see Who'll Stop the Rain and Insignificance.  Perhaps 1978 premieres will eventually get around to showing Go Tell the Spartans.

1 minute ago, skimpole said:

I'm seeing it.  For some reason Wednesday evening isn't available, which suggests something special (fingers crossed).   The first days don't look very different.  We get the yearly showing of 1776, because Hollywood has made so few films about the American revolution.  But as it proceeds there are some new movies.  There's the TCM premiere of Yi Yi.  And I've always wanted to see Who'll Stop the Rain and Insignificance.  Perhaps 1978 premieres will eventually get around to showing Go Tell the Spartans.

Just tried again...and again...and again...and again...and all I get is the May schedule with no way to change it.

52 minutes ago, musicalnovelty said:

Just tried again...and again...and again...and again...and all I get is the May schedule with no way to change it.

If the first movie on the list is Call it a Day (1937) then it is the July schedule.

3 hours ago, Sukhov said:

If the first movie on the list is Call it a Day (1937) then it is the July schedule.

No, I'm still getting only the May schedule. But it's not what I usually see, it's set up to look sort of like the "Now Playing" magazines - big picture of Edward G. Robinson at the top, and the option to print the schedule or go to the Canadian schedule. And the titles aren't even shown, just the days of the month. I have to click on "print movie listing" or US schedule" to see the movie titles.

EDITED to update:

I just managed to find a different way in, and finally got to see the July shcedule. But I still wonder why that link posted above is working for others but not for me.

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/weekly.html?tz=est&sdate=2020-06-30

Starting from here I was able to see July 2020, week by week. The only title that excited me was So This Is Paris (Lubitsch, 1926), scheduled for 7/10/20. Crossing my fingers that this won't be another Lilac Time.

Also, there's a Friday Night Spotlight on John Ford--nothing I'm longing to see, but others may be interested.

Thought I would take a moment to say I always get nervous when I see a thread like this, and there's one person who keeps saying over and over this isn't working for me, and everyone else on the thread is saying no, no, you're wrong, its' fine. Because that means the odds are 99.9% that whatever's not working for that one person won't work for me, either! I'm about to try out the links above and find out.

Followup: I am getting the giant Edward G. Robinson banner, but I think it is the July schedule, because the days of the week line up, there are some patriotic movies for the 4th and Tony Curtis movies on the 6th.

Probably not gonna have much time to look at this today or tomorrow with family events brewing. But I'll try to look it over and report back later in the week.

If you are having troubles displaying the monthly schedule for July, try this link:

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/monthly.html?tz=est&sdate=2020-07-02

(I changed the date slightly.)

For some reason, this fixed a problem I was having with the Safari browser.  Strange.

(Note that you will always see the EG Robinson banner, regardless of the monthly content.)

6 hours ago, cmovieviewer said:

If you are having troubles displaying the monthly schedule for July, try this link:

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/monthly.html?tz=est&sdate=2020-07-02

(I changed the date slightly.)

For some reason, this fixed a problem I was having with the Safari browser.  Strange.

(Note that you will always see the EG Robinson banner, regardless of the monthly content.)

As you already know, I had a similar issue with monthly underrun/overrun.  The solution to that was to use the 15th of each month for everything, being that my script was using strict monthly definitions.  For example the 31st of month A + 1 month, where month B has 30 days, would kick you into month C (thereby skipping month B).   Anyhow I already tried that approach on the URLs for this website, and that just made it worse.  So they have something different going on.

The exact case here isn't as obvious so as to script a URL in a predictable way, though I could probably get to the bottom of it if I ran it through a number of different likely CS scenarios.  A waste of an exercise for me though because it is not mine to fix, and nobody is at home on the other end.

So yes, just keep plugging away by modifying the day in the URL until you get something satisfactory, and I will do the same.  http://moviecollectoroh.com/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/forum-twisted.gif

• Thanks 2
On 5/4/2020 at 11:23 PM, skimpole said:

And I've always wanted to see Who'll Stop the Rain and Insignificance.  Perhaps 1978 premieres will eventually get around to showing Go Tell the Spartans.

I am not a fan of Who'll Stop the Rain, which, as it goes on, delights in its own rancidness. Nick Nolte turns his girlfriend on to heroin, but he's somehow supposed to be the hero of the film. For those who care about such things, early in the film there is a brief shot of Nick Nolte frontally naked. Michael Moriarty, who is often a very good actor, isn't so good in this one. However, I am a fan of Go Tell the Spartans, one of the best films about the Vietnam War.

On 5/5/2020 at 2:23 AM, skimpole said:

Just positing that the unreported Wednesday evening schedules could be waiting the unveiling of a new summer film course.

4 hours ago, Brrrcold said:

Just positing that the unreported Wednesday evening schedules could be waiting the unveiling of a new summer film course.

Good guess. Though last year they scrapped the summer film course. 

They still did a sci fi genre spotlight, right, even without the accompanying film course? Was that last year? I suspect the blank spots are for another overview of some genre, even if they don't do the course. That might be TCM's new thing for July.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

They still did a sci fi genre spotlight, right, even without the accompanying film course? Was that last year? I suspect the blank spots are for another overview of some genre, even if they don't do the course. That might be TCM's new thing for July.

I hope it's a genre where there are lots of premieres.  So it will probably be westerns.  Now there's a genre where every pre-1970 example has been on TCM before, most multiple times. 

There was a programming challenge where you could include as many premieres you can have.  So I included as my musical premieres as we could.  As it happens, TCM showed Bugsy Malone earlier this year, and will show The Cotton club next month.  So here are the others:

Applause (1929)

At Long Last Love (1975)

All that Jazz (1979)

Alice in Wonderland (1951)

The Chronicle of Anna Magdelena Bach (1968)

Distant Voices, Still Lives (1988) 

Damn Yankees (1958)

Everyone Says I Love You (1996) 

Fantasia (1940)

The Gold Diggers (1983) 

The Great Muppet Caper (1981)

Help! (1965)

It Couldn't Happen Here (1988)

The Jungle Book (1967) 

Khovanshchina (1960)

The Little Prince (1974) 

Lagaan:  Once Upon a Time in India (2001)

La La Land (2016)

Let it Be (1970)

Little Shop of Horrors (1986) 

Mammame (1986) 

Moses and Aaron  (1975)  

Monty Python's The Meaning of Life (1983)

No One Knows About Persian Cats (2009)

One from the Heart (1982) 

Once (2007) 

Pinocchio (1940) 

Purple Rain (1984)

Quadrophenia (1979) 

The Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975) 

Red Psalm (1972)

South Park:  Bigger, Longer and Uncut (1999)

Stop Making Sense (1984) 

Topsy-Turvy (1999) 

Snow White and Seven Dwarfs (1937)

Up, Down, Fragile (1995)

Velvet Goldmine (1999)

The Wiz (1978)

Yellow Submarine (1968)

Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars (1973)

13 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

We have one voice against Westerns - and we know that Musicals, Comedies, Film Noir, and SciFi genres have been handled in the recent past. I'd add that the Gladiator/Sword-Sandal genre also had extensive coverage in January 2019.  So what's the next genre deserving of attention?

It probably will not be War movies, as those are generally covered on Memorial Day tributes. Also, it would have to be something that can be presented in roughly 50 programming hours.

... Historical epics might be suitable for July. Novels to screen? I'm just guessing, but I'm intrigued.