Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cmovieviewer

July 2020 Schedule Is Posted

Maybe in light of the pandemic, it'll be a series of movies featuring great homes.

• Haha 1

Noir Alley:

7/4 The Sign of the Ram

7/11 Bodyguard

7/18 Three Strangers

7/25 The Breaking Point

• Thanks 1

There is half a century of horror films they could start showing.

• Like 1

Looking over the schedule...

I'm excited about the Tony Curtis SOTM.  I don't believe that he has been featured before and I think he's underappreciated.

It looks like the summer theme is a spotlight on John Ford.  I wonder if this coincides with another season of TCM's new podcast. 

7/1 Olivia de Havilland birthday tribute.  I am interested in My Love Came Back featuring a young Eddie Albert!

7/2 The Alphabet Murders.  I am interested in seeing Tony Randall play Hercule Poirot. 

7/6 I think the theme is films about reporters.  I am interested in Blackwell's Island and Twelve Crowded Hours.  'Crowded' is one of the few Lucille Ball films that I haven't seen.

The All-American.  It looks like this is a premiere to kick off Tony Curtis' SOTM tribute.  I do enjoy films about football, so I'd be interested in seeing this one.

7/7 The Sam Fuller tribute in the evening.  I loved Pickup on South Street, I'd be interested to see more of his films.

7/8 Vincent Price marathon. I'm most interested in The Long Night

7/12 The Idle Class and Pay Day.  A couple Charlie Chaplin shorts that I haven't seen.

7/16 Ginger Rogers birthday tribute. I've seen most of these but I am interested in Lucky Partners and In Person

There is also a premiere of Louisa featuring Charles Coburn.  I like that there is a Charles Coburn feature this evening.  He is always the highlight in any film I see him in. 

7/20 Natalie Wood birthday tribute. I may DVR The Burning Hills, because it's the only film in the list that I haven't seen.

The Boston Strangler with Tony Curtis.  I've always wanted to see this movie. 

7/28 The evening of Lizabeth Scott movies.  I was lukewarm on her when I first saw her, but I think she's grown on me. I'm going to DVR The Racket, it's the only movie in the list that I haven't seen.  If anyone hasn't seen Too Late For Tears, watch it. It's really good.

7/29 Sex Kittens Go to College.  This sounds terrible.  I want to see it.

Forbidden Planet.  I know this movie is on all the time, but I've never seen it.  We've been watching all the Police Squad and Naked Gun stuff recently, I'd like to see a young Leslie Nielsen.

• Like 1

Wait, you seem to be seeing the Monday schedules now? And when I click on the licks, they still say To Be Announced. Show me how you're doing that, please.

41 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Looking over the schedule...

I'm excited about the Tony Curtis SOTM.  I don't believe that he has been featured before and I think he's underappreciated.

It looks like the summer theme is a spotlight on John Ford.  I wonder if this coincides with another season of TCM's new podcast. 

7/2 The Alphabet Murders.  I am interested in seeing Tony Randall play Hercule Poirot. 

7/8 Vincent Price marathon. I'm most interested in The Long Night

The Long Night is an excellent remake of the French film Le jour se leve. Henry Fonda, Barbara Bel Geddes, Ann Dvorak, Vincent Price, and Elisha Cook Jr. are all outstanding. first-rate noir cinematography, too. This film doesn't get high marks in some of the guides, like Maltin's. They are wrong.

Tony Randall does a fine job as Poirot, if I remember correctly. Had the film been a big hit, there would probably have been a series of Randall/Poirot movies.

Speaking of Leslie Nielsen, I just saw him give a fine performance as an old flame of Jessica's on Murder She Wrote.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, kingrat said:

The Long Night is an excellent remake of the French film Le jour se leve. Henry Fonda, Barbara Bel Geddes, Ann Dvorak, Vincent Price, and Elisha Cook Jr. are all outstanding. first-rate noir cinematography, too. This film doesn't get high marks in some of the guides, like Maltin's. They are wrong.

Tony Randall does a fine job as Poirot, if I remember correctly. Had the film been a big hit, there would probably have been a series of Randall/Poirot movies.

Speaking of Leslie Nielsen, I just saw him give a fine performance as an old flame of Jessica's on Murder She Wrote.

Thanks!

Leslie Nielsen also does a great job as Blanche's uncle in the last episode of The Golden Girls.  He ends up marrying Dorothy, leading to the very emotional ending, with her moving out. 

On 5/5/2020 at 5:28 AM, jakeem said:

GIF the godfather don corleone gangster movie - animated GIF on GIFER

YES, FINALLY INCLUDES  THE GODFATHER

On 5/7/2020 at 11:35 PM, skimpole said:

There is half a century of horror films they could start showing.

The summer film courses that focused on Hollywood genres-- horror was the one area they didn't cover yet.

On 5/5/2020 at 12:23 AM, skimpole said:

I'm seeing it.  For some reason Wednesday evening isn't available, which suggests something special (fingers crossed).  

It turns out the Wednesday spotlight is "feel good classics," i.e. movies that TCM has showed no shortage of times.  I'm inclined to think they couldn't get what they really wanted and chose this as a stopgap.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

(7/29)  Go Naked In The World (1961) comes around every once in a while and it's cheesy but slick in a Bad-Movies-We-Love kind of way. Gina Lollobrigida is stunning and wonderfully feisty as a call girl who has links to the father (Ernest Borgnine) of a veteran (Anthony Franciosa) who has fallen hard for her. Much messiness and an ultimate tragedy ensue.

(7/31) Vibes (1988) is maybe (?) a premier. I haven't seen it since video-cassette days but I remember it being kooky and fun, with Cyndi Lauper pairing surprisingly well with Jeff Goldblum. Cyndi plays a psychic recruited to join a treasure hunt in South America and her oddball comic chops serve her well. I wish she's done more acting that she ultimately did. Peter Falk also added great comic support.

• Thanks 1

So, here are all the "feel-good classics" that will be airing and how many times each one has aired already:

It Happened One Night (Columbia, 1934) 84
The Thin Man (MGM, 1934) 98
Top Hat (RKO, 1935) 79
A Night at the Opera (MGM, 1935) 76
Mr. Deeds Goes to Town (Columbia, 1936) 65
Bringing Up Baby (RKO, 1938) 104
Ninotchka (MGM, 1939) 90
The Shop Around the Corner (MGM, 1940) 104
His Girl Friday (Columbia, 1940) 71
The Lady Eve (Paramount, 1941) 60
The Man Who Came to Dinner (Warner Bros., 1942) 81
Meet Me in St. Louis (MGM, 1944) 132
Arsenic and Old Lace (Warner Bros., 1944) 90
Life with Father (Warner Bros., 1947) 45
Harvey (Universal, 1950) 41
On Moonlight Bay (Warner Bros., 1951) 35
Singin' in the Rain (MGM, 1952) 126
Seven Brides for Seven Brothers (MGM, 1954) 102
Guys and Dolls (MGM, 1955) 60
Gigi (MGM, 1958) 99
Auntie Mame (Warner Bros., 1958) 43
Some Like It Hot (United Artists, 1959) 82
My Fair Lady (Warner Bros., 1964) 62
Sunday in New York (MGM, 1964) 66
The Producers (Embassy, 1968) 53
Annie (Columbia, 1982) 12

• Thanks 1

We are now officially in June and the August schedule is still nowhere to be found. I wonder when we can expect it.

12 minutes ago, keenimage said:

We are now officially in June and the August schedule is still nowhere to be found. I wonder when we can expect it.

Good question. Maybe we’ll find out later this week. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TopBilled said:

Good question. Maybe we’ll find out later this week. 

Fingers crossed!

• Like 1

Well I'm recording more this month than usual. Although there are many great movies listed, there are very few I've not seen already.

7/22 1:45AM THE EXILES ’61 

7/22 2:30PM TEA & SYMPATHY ’56 (amazing I've never seen this!)

7/23 7AM PERFECT STRANGERS ’50 (A Ginger/Morgan I don't have)

7/23 1:45PM WALTZ OF THE TOREADORS ’62  MR LOVE ’86 (fun philanderer double feature)

7/28 8:00PM ENTER LAUGHING ’67 12:00AM THE COMIC ’69 (fun Carl Reiner double feature)

8/1 2:15AM VIBES ’88  (hoping it hasn't been pulled)

Next month is SUTS and like Feb, usually the same chestnuts. I catch up on DVDs recorded previous months.

On 5/5/2020 at 1:21 AM, cmovieviewer said:

Thank you for posting this. I usually get the schedule in my email, but always in the middle of the month. I like to print a copy in booklet form. Thanks again!

• Like 1

The Carl Reiner tribute on the 28th replaces a previously scheduled evening of film noir featuring Lizabeth Scott.

Screen Shot 2020-07-07 at 8.15.40 AM

• Thanks 3

On 7/7/2020 at 8:40 AM, TikiSoo said:

Well I'm recording more this month than usual. Although there are many great movies listed, there are very few I've not seen already.

7/22 1:45AM THE EXILES ’61 

7/22 2:30PM TEA & SYMPATHY ’56 (amazing I've never seen this!)

7/23 7AM PERFECT STRANGERS ’50 (A Ginger/Morgan I don't have)

7/23 1:45PM WALTZ OF THE TOREADORS ’62  MR LOVE ’86 (fun philanderer double feature)

7/28 8:00PM ENTER LAUGHING ’67 12:00AM THE COMIC ’69 (fun Carl Reiner double feature)

8/1 2:15AM VIBES ’88  (hoping it hasn't been pulled)

Next month is SUTS and like Feb, usually the same chestnuts. I catch up on DVDs recorded previous months.

As per my expectations, as it wasn't replaced with anything - just a null time slot, Vibes reappeared yesterday.  We'll see what tomorrow brings, and then the week after that...