Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Dommy

Cyndi Lauper Movie Vibes

The film Vibes makes it's TCM debut on July 31, 2020 which on the east coast is August 1, 2020 at 2:15 a.m.   Funny they list the movie in the July scehdule and they don't even list Peter Falk, Jeff Goldblum or Cyndi Lauper as the stars.  They list actors who had 1 scene.  It is a very funny movie that bomed back in 1988)

I have no idea how credit-sourcing online works, but I'm sure several people on these boards do. Sometimes a cast will be listed alphabetically or in order of appearance over the course of the movie. I don't know if always has to be because that's the way appeared  in the closing credits of the actual movie, but they do end up that way online on occasion. So, if you truncate the number actors in the film to first six or eight who appear in the credits, you don't always end up listing the stars.

Good point, but unless the movie had an all-star cast I can see lisiting alphabetically.  The names they listed not many people know and they may not bother watching.  

There's no standard way for credits to be listed on various on-line sites.  Each one does it however they want.  Review sites typically only list a handful of stars or leads.  Databases have their own policies and guidelines.

IMDb guidelines call for the cast credits to be listed according to the most comprehensive cast list (typically the end credits).   In the studio era it was common for credits to be rather limited, so in those cases, IMDb will list the remaining cast alphabetically, after the credited cast, when known.

For this particular film, IMDb has Goldblum listed 10th, Lauper listed 13th and Falk listed 20th.  Further, IMDb states the credits are complete, and in credits order.

I'm not sure what the TCM database's credit policy is, but I would think it's similar to IMDb's. 

Well actually Cyndi Lauper had top billing it was her feature film debut not sayin and Intriducing because she was already a Rock Star.    She has a flair for comedy.  Sort of a cross between Jean Harlow, Lucille Ball and Madline Kahn.

• Like 1

Top billing in opening credits, I'm sure, but it seems on the internet these things are often decided by closing credits.

It looks like TCM decided not to play it after all.  It is not on the schedule anymore for some unexplainable reason.

• Sad 1

Dropped in the middle of last month but not yet replaced, so I wouldn't rule it out.  (Currently just a void in the schedule)

The online schedule monster might be acting up again.

I wonder for whatever reason though.

A hasty job by the original developers/system integrators and/or a hasty implementation of an older preexisting software system on a newer platform.  That and not enough time to perform the necessary quality control to suss out these types of issues that can and do come up.  This is an organizational issue.

In short, nothing that the people who put together the schedule each month would be doing or have any control over.

The movie is on the schedule once again.

I got incredibly weird deja vu ahem ... Vibes ... as I started to read this thread, then scrolled down and saw I posted on it two months ago.

Yes but it reappeared when it was missing from the schedule.

On 5/7/2020 at 6:26 PM, Dommy said:

She has a flair for comedy. 

With that face and that speaking voice, it's hard to imagine her doing much else in the way of genres.

I remember the first time I saw her on The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson way back in the early 80's. She had Johnny shaking his head - I think she blew him away. I've enjoyed watching her very much whenever I've caught her on this or that show or movie.

So did anyone watch Vibes?  Or dvd'rd it?  I have it on DVD but glad it got a play on TCM.  What are your thoughts on the movie and about Cyndi Lauper.  I am surprised its not being streamed though.

I made it about half-an hour through.  Cyndi Lauper was fine, but deserved a better movie.

1 hour ago, slaytonf said:

I made it about half-an hour through.  Cyndi Lauper was fine, but deserved a better movie.

She deserved ANY second movie--A lot of rock stars were trying to be actors in the 80's (Sting, Grace Jones, Madonna, Tina Turner...hey, she wasn't that bad!), and Cyndi immediately had her own star quality.

Looking at an old Siskel & Ebert review though, I'll concede the movie was "a low-rent Romancing the Stone knockoff", and that Peter Falk "walked through the movie doing a lazy imitation of Peter Falk".

Now Cyndi's showing up on those Psoriasis commercials, and while she's done interviews about her "battle",  I'm starting to wonder just what did happen to her in those decades between this movie and "Kinky Boots".

8aefbdbac584eaa13b8d8e12b2262e0f.jpg

(Wow, she still looks good...Fiftysomethings just wanna have fun.  😙 )

• Thanks 1

Recorded it to HDD. Have not watched it yet.

But also already prepared for dvd-r recording which I will definitely do whether I like the movie or not - I collect all Jeff Goldblum movies for my library.

1 hour ago, EricJ said:

She deserved ANY second movie-

I almost bailed at the beginning when the eerie light burst from the pseudo Inca thing, a thing so fragile that it came apart with mere taps a jabs, making it a wonder how it lasted the hundreds of years since its construction.  But, I said, 'wait till you see Miss Lauper'.  It was worth waiting, but she couldn't make it worth sticking with it.  No discredit to her.  Even Olivia de Havilland couldn't save some movies for me.

2 hours ago, slaytonf said:

I almost bailed at the beginning when the eerie light burst from the pseudo Inca thing, a thing so fragile that it came apart with mere taps a jabs, making it a wonder how it lasted the hundreds of years since its construction.  But, I said, 'wait till you see Miss Lauper'.  It was worth waiting, but she couldn't make it worth sticking with it.  No discredit to her.  Even Olivia de Havilland couldn't save some movies for me.

I understand what you mean by your perspective, but this film wasn't as bad as some have said.  Jeff Goldblum and Peter Falk and Cyndi Lauper had a chenistry though.  She showed she had a flair for comedy.  A shame she never got to make may more films.

31 minutes ago, Dommy said:

I understand what you mean by your perspective, but this film wasn't as bad as some have said.  Jeff Goldblum and Peter Falk and Cyndi Lauper had a chenistry though.  She showed she had a flair for comedy.  A shame she never got to make may more films.

A naturally comic actress.

5 hours ago, Allhallowsday said:

I watched a bit of it... I like both principles. 

If I don't like them do you have others?

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, Dommy said:

A shame she never got to make may more films.

She still can, obviously. She looks great & still has all that talent. I was blown away by her presence & talent in a recently streamed stage show. 

Can't wait to give VIBES a try-recorded it.

Its ironic in 1988 the year Vibes qas released she was offered Working Girl an turned it down.  What a shame.  She also turned down a role in Stell Magnolias and Little Shop  of Horrors.  She only appeared in 3 other films so far, Life With Mikey, The Opportunists and Here and There.  She did want so bad to get the lead rolein Sweeny Todd but didn't get it.  All she needs in an Oscar to get the coveted EGOT.  She has the Emmy, Grammy and Tony.