Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Yoda1978

What Is Wrong Most With How Films Are Made Today.

I watch modern CGI films and While Enjoy the Comic Book Films fine and Some other films made in the 2000-2020 time. It just seems like films are really poor in a few areas. Seems like acting is down and creative inspiration is 20% while rest of movies are cringe worthy. I mean today a Western is considered a B movie and I can watch any Wayne or Eastwood picture more times then the new so called great oscar winning films.  In 1980s all action movies are considered cheesy and while the effects are not great. I just prefer watching older films. Seems like with millions of books written that studios like Disney creatively made live action of there cartoon films. I really miss the whole thing where a creative mind can take a book make a movie and that said movie you always want to rebuy be it VHS or DVD.

I heard someone say there are no stars today that can carry films like the classic era in films and I think talent is ok in Hollywood. I just think hollywood went too far tech savy and need hire better writers.

There are tons of terrible films today but also tons of terrible films from yesterday too. I would say overall last decade was very weak though.

• Thanks 1

I've finally had the time to organize & sort my "modern" DVD recordings and was surprised to find my 70's decade has the most number of disks (20) then steadily decline to the present. I think I only had one movie from the 80's and 2 from the 90's and 4 from the 2000's.

• Like 1

Most Of My Era Of DVDS Are Westerns and Disney Classics and Family friendly films from 40's To 76 and I skip couple years and Have rest of my film library from 79-2003. 2003 being the Lord Of The Rings Films and Johnny Depps POTC first 3 films. I do Like The Avengers Films and Like MCU stuff but thats bout only Modern things i go to see really.

Well, I'd guess the choices in newer movies is sparse once you weed out over produced fantasy films, revisionist period pics, teen-aged vampires and zombies. But I don't think it's ALL bad, .....is it?  :huh:

I haven't been to a movie theater since  a year ago when a local theater had HOME ALONE as one of it's "Throwback Thursday"  features.  Before that it was bak in 2013 for GRAVITY.  And the most "recent" movie I've seen, and I waited until it hit my ON DEMAND list, was  2018's STAN AND OLLIE.  

Actually, I'm seemingly alone in my opinion that the LORD OF THE RINGS movies were even more boring than the Tolkien books.  The books were big in the '70's, but I just couldn't get into them.  

Sepiatone 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Well, I'd guess the choices in newer movies is sparse once you weed out over produced fantasy films, revisionist period pics, teen-aged vampires and zombies. But I don't think it's ALL bad, .....is it?  :huh:

It's not all bad, no. there are some choice comedies and dramas that come out still, but they are smaller in number than they used to be, and I have a feeling that with this virus shutdown they will go even more by the wayside.... Classic era is my favorite, but I also love the 70s, 80s, and 90s.... but filmwise they all feel like far-off eras already....

Okay! I'll tell ya what's wrong with movies today!

There's WAY too much sax and violins.

(...especially in the movies they make about orchestras now days)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

6 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Actually, I'm seemingly alone in my opinion that the LORD OF THE RINGS movies were even more boring than the Tolkien books. 

Nope, you aren't the only one.  😴

• Thanks 1

There are just as many good films today as ever. Its just that they are so spread out among different services.

We are in a major upheaval of media content. So many channels searching for content. And not enough good content to go around. And what quality there is can be hard to find or you might have to subscribe to 10 services to get it.

6 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

I haven't been to a movie theater since  a year ago when a local theater had HOME ALONE as one of it's "Throwback Thursday"  features.  Before that it was bak in 2013 for GRAVITY.  And the most "recent" movie I've seen, and I waited until it hit my ON DEMAND list, was  2018's STAN AND OLLIE.  

Sepiatone 

The movie industry is well aware of this. You are not alone. This is why they are sending these films to you where you will watch them, at home.

modern Hollywood screwed the pooch with cgi. there is no more animation coming out of them because they sacrificed it for the expediency of fast track conveyor belt no talentism.

I have yet to see any cgi on a par with yesteryear's non-computerized sfx. they killed animation and most of their now gone creativity and all they have left is their relentless continuing greed and the millennial /generation x demographic which they have sacrificed everything for.

• Like 1

It Took A Mind Like George Lucas to show oh you can do effects in space and not look like plane sets blowing up. I think Wizard Of Oz and The Ten Commandments were movies done before they should have been able too. The Pillar of file and parting the red sea. Still is something impressive to me. And Wizard Of Oz the Tornado scene and the Colors scene amazing for a 37 film. Im just not saying movies today and saying that film will be ground breaking moment to remember. Maybe then other then The Avengers 4 films. Not everything made in classic days hold up when watch them now. Some Of The Effects In Princess Bride comes to mind but really there budget wasnt very much.

12 hours ago, Peebs said:

Nope, you aren't the only one.

Haha I was with a film director when we stumbled into a LOTR movie by mistake and I heard disparaging comments throughout the 2 hours: "...ugh bad lighting, styrofoam set, wooden delivery, who chose THAT? etc"

In my 2000's pile is: She's Funny That Way '15, Grandma '15, Brooklyn '15, Tims Vermeer '13, Stan & Ollie '18, Secretariat '10, Darjeeling Ltd '07, Moonrise Kingdom '12..... and conclude there are still worthwhile movies being made.

Note: these movies are well acted, well written and contain some cgi effects. Heck- I, Tonya '17 is full of cgi and that was well written & acted.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, TikiSoo said:

Secretariat '10

From your list...I have seen this.

It has the feel of a 40s or 50s era film.

1 hour ago, TikiSoo said:

In my 2000's pile is: She's Funny That Way '15, Grandma '15, Brooklyn '15, Tims Vermeer '13, Stan & Ollie '18, Secretariat '10, Darjeeling Ltd '07, Moonrise Kingdom '12..... and conclude there are still worthwhile movies being made.

I loved Brooklyn.  I agree, there are some good movies being made but they seem, at least to me, to be smaller movies.  I'd include Sing Street and Their Finest, both from 2016.    I also like your inclusion of Wes Anderson movies.  He's got a new one scheduled to come out this summer:  The French Dispatch.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Peebs said:

I agree, there are some good movies being made but they seem, at least to me, to be smaller movies.

I don't see them as "smaller" just not super hyped like action movies for fanboys... instead movies targeted to more adult sensibilities.

My assessment of the OP complaint: obviously those putting out comic book/action films are targeting a specific audience who they believe are more interested by the "look" of the movie over "content". These movies are designed & orchestrated to reach their target audience.

Possibly the OP wishes "action" movies could be more "adult"? I sure do.

3 minutes ago, TikiSoo said:

I don't see them as "smaller" just not super hyped like action movies for fanboys... instead movies targeted to more adult sensibilities.

Maybe "smaller" is the wrong word.  Certainly not a meant as a negative but reflecting a movie that is not as hyped, has no CGI, or product tie-ins.  Movies that rely on acting and a story rather than bloated CGI action sequences. 

I like a good popcorn movie, too.   I've gone to many of the recent Star Wars and Avenger-type movies because the demographics in my household.  Some are entertaining especially when they add a little humor and character development.  However, some of those movies are long, boring, and derivative.  It can be hard to find the "smaller" movies because of availability or just getting the word out that they even exist.

15 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

modern Hollywood screwed the pooch with cgi. there is no more animation coming out of them because they sacrificed it for the expediency of fast track conveyor belt no talentism.

I have yet to see any cgi on a par with yesteryear's non-computerized sfx. they killed animation and most of their now gone creativity and all they have left is their relentless continuing greed and the millennial /generation x demographic which they have sacrificed everything for.

:D  I dig the way they took a REVELL plastic model of the Flying Wing and used it for a spacecraft.  ;) 

2 hours ago, Arteesto said:

From your list...I have seen this.

It has the feel of a 40s or 50s era film.

Actually, SECRETARIAT takes place in the '70's.  And yep, they got that "feel" in it too.  But a good racehorse flick that did get the '40's "feel" right was SEABISCUIT  ('03)

Sepiatone

1 hour ago, Peebs said:

Maybe "smaller" is the wrong word.  Certainly not a meant as a negative but reflecting a movie that is not as hyped, has no CGI, or product tie-ins.  Movies that rely on acting and a story rather than bloated CGI action sequences. 

I like a good popcorn movie, too.   I've gone to many of the recent Star Wars and Avenger-type movies because the demographics in my household.  Some are entertaining especially when they add a little humor and character development.  However, some of those movies are long, boring, and derivative.  It can be hard to find the "smaller" movies because of availability or just getting the word out that they even exist.

Its even pretty hard for smaller budgeted sci-fi or smaller action movie films got get much notice or money. The Bigger Blockbusters films are given too much money in my opinion and could cut costs down if woven in special effects. Mandalorian the TV show uses CGI and Puppet work. I m sure its a goo sized budget but what did for a full season might be cheaper then films. Lots of small movies like per say if people did a comedy like Grumpy Old men which was an 80s film just about 2 men in minn and a they fight over the neighbor lady. Movie like that stands no chance at a Box office today. Even if had 2 top actors like McKellan or Patrick Stewart.

• Like 1

On 5/6/2020 at 9:17 AM, Sepiatone said:

Actually, I'm seemingly alone in my opinion that the LORD OF THE RINGS movies were even more boring than the Tolkien books.  The books were big in the '70's, but I just couldn't get into them.  

Sepiatone 

I think LOTR is really boring too. The only part I liked was Gollum. 

Why so many battles? 

And I swear they do the same thing over and over again for what seems like an eternity. Run. Battle. Run. Battle. Comic Relief. Battle. Run. Battle. Romance. Comic Relief. Battle. Ugh! Just find the ring and get on with it. 

18 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Haha I was with a film director when we stumbled into a LOTR movie by mistake and I heard disparaging comments throughout the 2 hours: "...ugh bad lighting, styrofoam set, wooden delivery, who chose THAT? etc"

Note: these movies are well acted, well written and contain some cgi effects. Heck- I, Tonya '17 is full of cgi and that was well written & acted.

I loved I, Tonya. As a native Oregonian who followed the Tonya Harding/Nancy Kerrigan debacle as the tender age of 10, it was fun to see it all play out again in the film. And, Allison Janney’s crimson-bellied conure was amazing. For the record, while I wouldn’t wish Nancy Kerrigan any harm, I never liked her. I always thought she seemed snotty. With that said, I agree with Tonya Harding’s punishment. There’s no way she didn’t know what was going on. 

Stan & Ollie was really great too. John C. Reilly is an excellent actor. 

15 hours ago, Peebs said:

I have seen all the Marvel movies except for maybe 3 (I think I missed some Thor & Captain America in there somewhere). I’m not a Marvel super fan, I just go because others want to go. The movies are entertaining enough, I liked “Guardians of the Galaxy” the best; but I do agree about the length. Every single one is so long. With the Marvel movies, I find that one viewing is enough. I never feel the need to watch it again. The only Marvel film I’ve seen more than once is ‘Guardians’ and that’s because it was showing in a small-town theater at the beach while we were on vacation. It was 90-something degrees and we were broiling. 

• Like 1

In modern films, if you are dealing with a rom com, the woman is usually beautiful, smart, together. The guy is a fat stupid slob that makes Homer Simpson look erudite. All of the families of origin are completely dysfunctional. It seems like this has been a gradual development over the past ten years. 

• Like 1

On 5/6/2020 at 7:13 AM, TikiSoo said:

I've finally had the time to organize & sort my "modern" DVD recordings and was surprised to find my 70's decade has the most number of disks (20) then steadily decline to the present. I think I only had one movie from the 80's and 2 from the 90's and 4 from the 2000's.

I think that is because the 70s was an unprecedented era in freedom of expression in films. It was far enough past the production code era that situations could be portrayed realistically. But it was far enough away from the politically correct era that you could do and say literally anything. Take "Blazing Saddles". Even though it does a wonderful job of making racism look stupid, imagine trying to get that film made today by any studio. 

On 5/6/2020 at 5:56 PM, Dargo said:

Okay! I'll tell ya what's wrong with movies today!

There's WAY too much sax and violins.

How dare you, sir!  What's wrong with sax and violins?  If children aren't exposed to sax and violins, they won't appreciate good music, and they won't drink milk!

tumblr_lnw23cuzb71qbjc7fo1_1280.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

LOVED Emily!    Just gave me an idea for the "funny stuff" thread.  ;)  :D

Sepiatone