Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Metro Goldwyn Mayer

lknowlen

l_50bff6997c2546cca42ea1713402e354.jpg

Sorry, but Lot 3, depicted here looking west toward Olverland Avenue (that's Jefferson Boulevard running on the right, running top to bottom), is now a housing development. It is adjacent to the college campus, and the campus may also have been part of that lot, though I suspect the college was built on Lot 5, which was never developed.

It's difficult to tell when this photo was taken, though the circus tents suggest that it was at the time either MERRY ANDREW (1958) or BILLY ROSE'S JUMBO (1962) was in production.

The standing sets at the top of the photo are the studio's Western streets, and the buildings and parking lot to the right of Jefferson Blvd. are also MGM facilities.

If that's The Bounty, 1962 would make sense. Or is it just your standard three-master?

On second thought, forget that. I think the Bounty was built in Nova Scotia and sailed to Tahiti. I doubt they could have carted it to the backlot.

Message was edited by: DougieB

Yes thank you for pointing that out. I did do a Google search. Also any of you in the South Calif area and would like to get some good vintage hifi equipment for use in a home theater system you might want to visit my friend Howard Link: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/find/newsLetter/Hi-Fi-21st-Century.jsp

He set me up with a great vintage system. Link:

Also here is another contact: http://www.audioclassics.com/cat.php3?cat=Amplifiers&p=2

Good luck watching those great classic films

Message was edited by: lknowlen

> {quote:title=DougieB wrote:}{quote}

> If that's The Bounty, 1962 would make sense. Or is it just your standard three-master?

>

> On second thought, forget that. I think the Bounty was built in Nova Scotia and sailed to Tahiti. I doubt they could have carted it to the backlot.

You're absolutely right; don't be fooled by the presence of the Showboat; like its real Mississippi River counterparts, it was flat-bottomed and could comfortably ply the shallow waters of the studio's back-lot lake, whereas the Bounty, built in Lunenberg, Nova Scotia (though even bigger than the original 1789 ship), was a deep-water vessel with a commensurately deep draught and keel. In 1964 it was, in fact, sailed through the Panama Canal to New York (no passage 'round Cape Horn this time) and anchored at the Flushing Marina for exhibition at the 1964-65 New York World's Fair.

> {quote:title=lzcutter wrote:}{quote}

> HH,

>

> I would pay money to take a tour of Sony/MGM studios and drive around Culver City and have you point out where the back lots used to be.

>

> A girl can dream.

That's very flattering, and I thank you. If you have the old coffee-table book, The MGM Story, check the first few pages; reproduced there are maps of the various lots from the studio's heyday.