Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
SummerStars

Best and worst colorized movies

Since I had recently made mention of the syndicated " Laurel and Hardy Show", I had been thinking about movies that had been colorized, and would like to know what others think are the best and the worst colorized versions of classic movies.   There have been colorized versions of Laurel and Hardy films shown on that syndicated show, and I think the colorized version of "WAY OUT WEST" is REALLY pitiful-looking.  Everything looks brown and grey!  I think "BABES IN TOYLAND", which I've seen on local TV, looks pretty convincing, though.  It looks almost as if it was really filmed in three-strip Technicolor.  Since that film is from 1934, it would've been great if they waited a few years later, and filmed it in color when MGM would have the budget to make a lengthy film in that process.   And of course, those John Wayne B-Westerns I've brought up before with the re-dubbed audio do HAVE pleasant and VERY realistic-looking color.  I honestly thought when I first saw one of those, that it was really filmed in color, until I saw a young Duke, that's what told me it was just colorized.

What films do you think look good, or at least half-way decent, in color, and which ones are just hard to look at, based off the very unappealing color choices used?

11 hours ago, SummerStars said:

I think "BABES IN TOYLAND", which I've seen on local TV, looks pretty convincing, though.  It looks almost as if it was really filmed in three-strip Technicolor. 

I agree this one is the best, one of the actors, Henry Brandon (he played Barnaby) said that the set was very bright and colorful but the B&W film was drab looking. He said he wanted it to be colorized, I don't know if he ever saw it. 

The worst was The Big Sleep (1946) I couldn't finish watching it.