Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
jakeem

Singer-songwriter Little Richard (1932-2020)

Little Richard, one of the founding fathers of rock 'n' roll music and a key inspiration for such premier artists as The Beatles and Prince, has died at the age of 87.  Rolling Stone magazine reported that the flamboyant performer, born Richard Wayne Penniman in Macon, Ga, died at his home in Nashville. A family member attributed the singer-songwriter's death earlier today to bone cancer.

The ordained minister, also known for gospel and blues performances, was an inaugural inductee into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1986.  The other members of that first class: Chuck Berry, James Brown, Ray Charles, Sam Cooke,  Fats Domino, The Everly Brothers, Buddy Holly, Jerry Lee Lewis and Elvis Presley.

Among the Grammy Award-winning artist's memorable songs were "Tutti Frutti," "Long Tall Sally," "The Girl Can't Help It" and "Good Golly Miss Molly."

See the source image'

He also was an occasional  presence in motion pictures, including appearances in "Don't Knock the Rock" (1956, introduced by the pioneer rock disc jockey Alan Freed in the clip below), "The Girl Can't Help It" (1956) and "Down and Out in Beverly Hills" (1986).

Mym6RZ3M_bigger.jpg
.@RollingStone is reporting that Little Richard has died at age 87. Such a huge loss. Resharing the best thing I ever read about the man, from @oxfordamerican. "He sounds like the last man on earth singing the first song ever written."

9:52 AM · May 9, 2020·Twitter for iPhone 

From 'Tutti Frutti' to 'Long Tall Sally' to 'Good Golly, Miss Molly' to 'Lucille', Little Richard came screaming into my life when I was a teenager. I owe a lot of what I do to Little Richard and his style; and he knew it. He would say, 'I taught Paul everything he knows'.

I had to admit he was right. In the early days of The Beatles we played with Richard in Hamburg and got to know him. He would let us hang out in his dressing room and we were witness to his pre-show rituals, with his head under a towel over a bowl of steaming hot water he would suddenly lift his head up to the mirror and say, 'I can’t help it cos I’m so beautiful'. And he was. A great man with a lovely sense of humour and someone who will be missed by the rock and roll community and many more.

I thank him for all he taught me and the kindness he showed by letting me be his friend. Goodbye Richard and awopbopaloobop.

7:16 AM · May 10, 2020·Twitter Web App

7:15 AM · May 10, 2020·Twitter Web App

xBwg5q55_bigger.jpg
God bless little Richard one of my all-time musical heroes. Peace and love to all his family.

Smiling face with sunglassesVictory handGlowing starRed heartMusical noteMultiple musical notesTwo heartsPeace symbol

11:57 AM · May 9, 2020·Twitter for iPhone

FAWXlWpq_bigger.jpg
I just heard the news about Little Richard and I’m so grieved. He was my shining star and guiding light back when I was only a little boy. His was the original spirit that moved me to do everything I would do.

I played some shows with him in Europe in the early nineties and got to hang out in his dressing room a lot. He was always generous, kind and humble. And still dynamite as a performer and a musician and you could still learn plenty from him.

In his presence he was always the same Little Richard that I first heard and was awed by growing up and I always was the same little boy. Of course he’ll live forever. But it’s like a part of your life is gone.

4:45 PM · May 9, 2020·Twitter Web App

FhoDEWfW_bigger.jpg
#LittleRichard was a genius, pure and simple. He paved the way for (code for he was ripped off by) so many artists. Watch his YouTube performances to see what I mean. I met him on "Down and Out in Beverly Hills," in which he was hilarious. What a legacy. God bless you, Richard.

11:06 AM · May 9, 2020·Twitter Web App
The greatest two words ever spoken in music: Awopbopaloobop Alopbamboom! Thank you, Little Richard.
Top 30 Little Richard GIFs | Find the best GIF on Gfycat

10:20 AM · May 9, 2020·Twitter for iPhone

Little_Steven_Candles_bigger.jpg

RIP Little Richard. The man who invented Rock and Roll. Elvis popularized it. Chuck Berry was the storyteller. Richard was the archetype. Maureen and I were so honored being the first marriage he conducted. We were lucky to know him. He lives forever in the Underground Garage.

10:20 AM · May 9, 2020·Twitter for iPhone

NQnRwUz3_bigger.png

RIP Little Richard, a very sad loss. My thoughts are with his loved ones. It’s Little Richard’s songs that pioneered rock’n’roll. I got to hear him and his band at the Newport Lounge in Miami and boy were they good.
Little Richard - New Songs, Playlists & Latest News - BBC Music

11:35 AM · May 9, 2020·Twitter for iPhone
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

All I could get out of any info anywhere was that he died Saturday.  And in news articles dated for TODAY!  So, I'm guessing he died early this morning?  

Well, it was bound to happen(given his age) anytime soon anyway, but that fact doesn't make the news any less sad.  And, in a "Twilight Zone" moment------

I was putting some CDs I had out back on the shelves I keep all my discs in yesterday, and resetting their alphabetical order when I ran across TWO CDs supposing to be "LITTLE RICHARDS GREATEST HITS"( well one only said "best" hits.) Noticing one had only 12 tracks, the other having 18.  And oddly, the one with only 12 has a track on it that's not included in the 18 track CD.( a tune called "Baby Face").  So I decided to keep 'em both where they are for now. 

Richard was a truly unique performer and voice in the rock'n'roll  world,  and not only influential to many, but also noted for once having a young guitarist from Seattle play in his band for a while, which in some way I suppose, gave that young guitarist more credible validation as a rock'n'roll veteran and later legend.

And as long as there's ANY device on which recorded music can be played, Little Richard will never really die!  RIP, Bro.

Sepiatone

• Thanks 1

Oh my soul!

I just heard that one of the founders of rock and roll has left us.

The Beatles were so lucky to have spent their formative time in Hamburg with Little Richard.

That's where Paul learned how to imitate him perfectly when he recorded the song "Long Tall Sally".

And those famous Beatle oo's were originated by Little Richard.

Little Richard wrote all of his music and the other national anthem of rock and roll called

"All around the world Rock ' n Roll is here to stay".

Robert Palmer recorded that number to honor Little Richard.

The Beach Boys Genius Brian Wilson has honored Little Richard also today explaining to the world how significant and foundational Little Richard's contributions have been to rock and roll.

In the beginning there was very little rock and roll on the radio. But when they started playing it,

Little Richard was one of the first who broke through.

People like the Beatles, stones, The Beach Boys, Etc we're sitting at home with their parents listening to this stuff on the radio and on records. By listening to Little Richard, Chuck Berry, Elvis Presley Jerry Lee Lewis, Buddy Holly, the Everly Brothers, Bill Haley & the Comets, Carl Perkins and others,

they learned how to play rock and roll music.

The Excitement of Little Richard is hard to explain to anyone who hasn't seen or heard him.

" The Girl Can't Help It " will now be a legendary Monument to his greatness as a rock and roll artist.

My favorite Little Richard song is "Keep a Knockin'".

"  Keep a Knockin cuz you can't come in

Keep a Knockin cuz you can't come in

Keep a Knockin cuz you can't come in

Come back tomorrow night and try it again

You say you love me and you can't come in

Come back tomorrow night and try it again whoa!"

Now I think only The Killer is left.

And who would have thought that Jerry Lee would be the last one standing-- or I should say sitting at that grand piano?

1 minute ago, Princess of Tap said:

The Beatles covered "Long Tall Sally".

Mitch Ryder and the Detroit Wheels and The Swinging Bluejeans covered "Good Golly Miss Molly".

Robert Palmer covered "All Around the World( rock and roll is here to stay).

And even Blue Suede Shoes Pat Boone covered "Tutti Frutti."

But there's only one original recording of all these songs and they were all by the legendary Little Richard.

The man can't help it he was born to rock and roll.

God rest his beautiful soul.  He knew how to Rock and Roll.

• Thanks 2

I checked my 1,500-song iTunes collection, consisting entirely of songs pre-1970, and I discovered somewhat to my surprise that I had only three Little Richard songs: "Tutti Frutti", "Lucille" and "Good Golly, Miss Molly". I'm always a little disappointed in myself when it takes the death of an artist before I really devote myself to an in-depth exploration of his/her work. 

He obviously drew from gospel and the blues but he added an explosive, driving energy that seemed to have no antecedent - it just came from his mind and his soul, apparently. That speed, that sense of just about of being out of control while still being tuneful and catchy set the blueprint for future generations of rock & rollers. It's hard to define his impact. Would David Bowie done all that androgyny stuff if there hadn't been a Little Richard? Would there have a Prince without Little Richard? His influence reaches across generations.

Just at the time the death of Kirk Douglas announces there are virtually no stars still with us from the "classic" Hollywood studio era (Olivia De Havilland and ...?), it's getting harder and harder to find any remaining superstars from that first generation of rock & roll. Jerry Lee Lewis and Don Everly and I'm not thinking of too many others.

I did mention I once acquired a 787rpm copy of "Tutti Frutti" (that was the victim of an innocent mishap).  And as much as I dug the tune, the "B" side was nice too, I thought. (But then, I was a "blues hound" for a while before '65, when I got hold of that 78 "tutti Frutti".  And, this clip proves there WAS a 78 version!)

And there's still debate about whether or not "Tutti Frutti's" original lyrics were sexually charged("You know, "Tutti Frutti/Good booty!" and all) or just "urban legend".

Sepiatone

The first account I ever read of the dirty original lyrics to "Tutti Frutti" was in Rock of Ages: the Rolling Stone History of Rock & Roll published in 1986 in the section on "The '50s and Before" by Ed Ward. It was restated as fact in yesterday's obit by the AV Club. I was unaware there was any debate about it until reading your post.

He's certainly the one good thing about The Girl Can't Help it.

1 hour ago, skimpole said:

He's certainly the one good thing about The Girl Can't Help it.

Julie London is the one good thing in that film.

That’s too bad.  He was a really great man.  We all loved him.  He was cool and he was so funny too.  I’ve been humming and singing his songs lately.  I still am.  Does anyone remember when the Disney Channel had those music breaks and there was a music video of him singing On Top Of Spaghetti?  I think with his group?  I think that’s how I knew who he was.  Then I learned about how he did Tooti Fruiti.  Good Golly Miss Molly.  Long Tall Sally and all his songs.  I also looked on YouTube for the Walt Disney World Inside Out episode he did.  But I couldn’t find it and I saw the Full House episode he did.  We’ll all really miss him.  Won’t we?  If there will be any tributes to him?  Please let me know and maybe you could find videos of the stuff I just mentioned.  Oh.  and I’ve also seen him on Sesame Street too.  We’ll all really miss you so much Little Richard.  We all love you.