Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Name 10 British Or UK Actors You Like Best

On 5/10/2020 at 11:11 AM, TopBilled said:

Nice to see Julie Walters mentioned. She's vastly underrated.

Nobody included the often overlooked Robert Donat...he deserves a little recognition.

10 spots is what makes this challenging. Donat truly was a fine talent, and it was tempting to include the wonderful Julie Walters as well. Another often overlooked present-day actress of note is Miranda Richardson. Truly astonishing actress, like a chameleon. 

• Like 1

In no particular order:

Peter O'Toole

Albert Finney

Laurence Olivier

Richard Burton

Terence Stamp

Trevor Howard

Claude Rains

James Mason

Alan Bates

Charlie Chaplin

Deborah Kerr

Vivien Leigh

Wendy Hiller

Julie Christie

Ida Lupino

Claire Bloom

Emma Thompson

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Arteesto said:

He and Deborah Kerr star in "Vacation from Marriage"

Very English and very good.

Yep, not only very good, but in my view one of the best and most overlooked Rom-Coms ever made.

• Like 1

And speaking of "overlooked" (and coincidently Deborah Kerr in one of her first major roles), I've been a fan of Roger Livesey's ever since being mesmerized decades ago by Powell & Pressburger's Colonel Blimp movie.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

10 spots is what makes this challenging. Donat truly was a fine talent, and it was tempting to include the wonderful Julie Walters as well. Another often overlooked present-day actress of note is Miranda Richardson. Truly astonishing actress, like a chameleon. 

Yeah, I could easily have added numbers 11 through 20. Dirk Bogarde is probably my 11th choice for the guys. And Celia Johnson is my 11th choice for the gals.

• Like 1

I guess I will add my runners-up...

11. Dirk Bogarde              11. Celia Johnson
12. Richard Todd               12. Edith Evans
13. Robert Donat              13. Brenda de Banzie
14. Charles Laughton     14. Glynis Johns
15. Claude Rains                15. Deborah Kerr
16. Trevor Howard           16. Anna Neagle
17. Anthony Newley       17. Gertrude Lawrence
18. Ralph Richardson     18. Ann Todd
19. Brian Aherne               19. Patricia Roc
20. Michael Craig              20. Virginia McKenna

3 hours ago, Yoda1978 said:

John Cleese I havent seen mentioned and one cannot think of british anything and not think of Monty Python films

Cleese was listed in the first response to your original post.

See the source image

Im sorry I forget some things sometimes when read. Its part of my short term memory loss i always was plagued with. It also part of my learn disability.

• Thanks 1

Two who almost made my lists:

Sir Kenneth Branagh (pictured below in the acclaimed 2017 World War II drama "Dunkirk") is virtually the second coming of Lord Olivier, with whom he has had a lot in common. They and George Clooney are the only people to receive Academy Award nominations for Best Director, Best Actor and Best Supporting Actor. Although he hasn't won an Oscar yet, Branagh is likely to have many other opportunities.

See the source image

Diana Dors (1931-1984) was often compared to Marilyn Monroe in the sex symbol department, but she also was capable of playing the girl next door. Her second of three husbands was the British actor-comedian Richard Dawson, who made waves in America as a regular on the CBS sitcom "Hogan's Heroes" and as host of the ABC game show "Family Feud." Dors wasn't that lucky in the former British colonies. Her 1958 screen comedy "I Married a Woman" --  with George Gobel,  Adolphe Menjou and John Wayne (in a couple of cameo scenes) -- flopped in the States.

See the source image

John Lennon admired the blond bombshell so much, she was one of the celebrities depicted on the famous cover of The Beatles' 1967 album "Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band." A wax figure of the actress can be seen on the far right of the first row.

See the source image

DIRK BOGARDE was, like GEORGE SANDERS, another I couldn't take to.  And it too surprises me.....................

No mention of two I always thought were good------

ANTHONY QUAYLE

JACK HAWKINS. 

???  Hmmmm....  must not yet have reached "usual suspects" status.  ;) 

Sepiatone

There are so many who could be included in such a list that limiting it to just ten performers is almost impossible. I would like to mention Margaret Lockwood, who makes my heart skip a beat every time I see her...

• Like 1

I'd go...

Derek Jacobi

Gary Oldmam

Helen Mirren

Jenny Agutter

Bob Hoskins

Michael Caine

Siân Phillips

Peter Sellers

John Hurt

Leonard Rossiter

• Like 1

Leslie Howard

Peter O'Toole

Laurence Olivier

George Sanders

Trevor Howard

James Mason

Deborah Kerr

Vivien Leigh

Wendy Hiller

Ralph Richardson

• Like 2

I'm a fan of George Sanders but he was born in Russia, and is supposedly descended from Russian royalty. He lived in Russia till age 11. Though the rest of his youth was in England, he went to South America in his twenties to run a plantation. Later, he moved back to the UK and began acting in Britain, but then went to Hollywood. Much of his career as an actor occurred in the United States. I don't really consider him a Brit, though some do.

Anyway, that's my way of explaining why he didn't show up on any of my lists in this thread.

There are so many, so I'm going to stick to those still living and working.

Simon-Russell-Beale-left-portrays-King-L

Simon Russell Beale (left) as King Lear, with Adrian Scarborough as the Fool

The Gentlemen

Simon Russell Beale

Benedict Cumberbatch

Ralph Fiennes

Iain Glen

Henry Goodman

Tom Hollander

Alex Jennings

James McAvoy

Ian McKellen

Ben Whishaw

_99798556_benwhishaw-brutus-juliuscaesar

Ben Whishaw as an intellectual Brutus in Julius Caesar

ma-rainey-lead-xlarge_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bq

Sharon D. Clarke in Ma Rainey's Black Bottom

The Ladies

Eileen Atkins

Eve Best

Sharon D. Clarke

Frances de la Tour

Judi Dench

Anne-Marie Duff

Lesley Manville

Maggie Smith

Juliet Stevenson

Harriet Walter

1635.jpg

Eve Best in her incredible performance in The Duchess of Malfi

17 hours ago, Swithin said:

The Gentlemen

Simon Russell Beale

Benedict Cumberbatch

Ralph Fiennes

Iain Glen

Henry Goodman

Tom Hollander

Alex Jennings

James McAvoy

Ian McKellen

Ben Whishaw

The Ladies

Eileen Atkins

Eve Best

Sharon D. Clarke

Frances de la Tour

Judi Dench

Anne-Marie Duff

Lesley Manville

Maggie Smith

Juliet Stevenson

Harriet Walter

It's interesting that you mentioned Hollander and Manville. Both play interesting characters in a couple of programs currently appearing on PBS's Masterpiece Mystery and Masterpiece.

In "Baptiste," a six-part miniseries airing under the Masterpiece Mystery umbrella, Hollander plays a Britisher purportedly searching for a niece said to have gone astray in Amsterdam's notorious red-light district. The title character is a skilled former French police detective (played by Tchéky Karyo), who is recruited to solve the mystery of her disappearance.

See the source image

Meanwhile, Manville stars in "World On Fire," a seven-part Masterpiece drama series about the early days of World War II. She plays a well-to-do British widow who has an awkward relationship with her only son (Jonah Hauer-King). Although she claims to lack a maternal instinct, Manville's character winds up caring for a child refugee from war-torn Poland. 

World On Fire | An interview with Lesley Manville (Robina Chase ...

17 hours ago, TopBilled said:

I'm a fan of George Sanders but he was born in Russia, and is supposedly descended from Russian royalty. He lived in Russia till age 11. Though the rest of his youth was in England, he went to South America in his twenties to run a plantation. Later, he moved back to the UK and began acting in Britain, but then went to Hollywood. Much of his career as an actor occurred in the United States. I don't really consider him a Brit, though some do.

Anyway, that's my way of explaining why he didn't show up on any of my lists in this thread.

Very good points about Sanders but that being said I have always view him as a British actor.     Of course there can be confusion (and different options) depending on how one defines the criteria.

E.g.  is it the heritage of the the parents and \ or the citizenship of the actor,  period?   E.g. Olivia DeHavilland and Joan Fontaine.   Born to a British parent and granted British citizenship at birth.     Thus using that criteria they are clearly British but I never viewed them as British actors,  since they both got their start in the acting and film business here in the USA.    Note Wiki takes the safe route of saying "British-American actress".   

One could say Sanders is the opposite of the sisters;   No British parent,   and thus not a British citizen at birth,   but, as noted,  grew up mostly in Britain and got his start in the British theater and a few British films before coming to Hollywood.   (Wiki says Sander is a  British actor).

• Thanks 1
On 5/11/2020 at 7:17 PM, Dargo said:

And speaking of "overlooked" (and coincidently Deborah Kerr in one of her first major roles), I've been a fan of Roger Livesey's ever since being mesmerized decades ago by Powell & Pressburger's Colonel Blimp movie.

ROGER LIVESEY!   He's my favorite British actor (Welsh)! 

I know most his work is in motion capture but the amazing thing is Andy Serkis is a from Ne Zealand but I was certain he must been born British because he does great British Characters

4 hours ago, jakeem said:

It's interesting that you mentioned Hollander and Manville. Both play interesting characters in a couple of programs currently appearing on PBS's Masterpiece Mystery and Masterpiece.

Yes, I've seen those shows (am awaiting the final episode of Baptiste). 

I've see both actors on stage: Tom Hollander as the best Macheath ever, in The Threepenny Opera; as well as in Stoppard's Travesties; and Lesley Manville in Ibsen's Ghosts and O'Neill's Long Day's Journey Into Night.

In film/TV, Hollander was hilariously brilliant in Bedrooms and Hallways (as Hugo Weaving's boyfriend)  and fascinating in The Night Manager; Manville was wonderful in many Mike Leigh films, etc.

• Like 1
On 5/9/2020 at 10:30 PM, Princess of Tap said:

Leslie Howard

Cary Grant

Charlie Chaplin

Claude Rains 

Ronald Colman

Richard Burton

Basil Rathbone

Boris Karloff

Michael Redgrave

Peter O'Toole

George Sanders

Anthony Hopkins

Jeremy Brett

Robert Stephens

Edmund Gwenn

Colin Clive

James Mason

Rex Harrison

John Gielgud

Ray Milland

Roland Young

Nigel Bruce

Laurence Olivier

Shaun Evans

Benedict Cumberbatch

Lionel Atwill

Leo G Carroll

C Aubrey Smith

Reginald Denny

John Nettles

I don't always have my glasses on online, but I have them on now and I have to add these fabulous British artists:

Charles Laughton

Ian McKellen

Derek Jacobi

James Fox

Joss Ackland

Anton Lesser

Roger Allam

Robert James-Collier

Iain Glen

John Castle

Damian Lewis

Peter Davison

• Like 1

ROGER LIVESEY 

JIM BROADBENT - nobody mentioned him?

IAN McKELLAN 

MAGGIE SMITH

VIVIEN LEIGH

FLORA ROBSON 

GEORGE SANDERS

CHARLES LAUGHTON

JAMES MASON

JUDI DENCH 

All of the previous lists of wonderful talent made it easy to cherry-pick most of mine. 

On 5/13/2020 at 6:28 PM, Princess of Tap said:

I don't always have my glasses on online, but I have them on now and I have to add these fabulous British artists:

Charles Laughton

Ian McKellen

Derek Jacobi

James Fox

Joss Ackland

Anton Lesser

Roger Allam

Robert James-Collier

Iain Glen

John Castle

Damian Lewis

Peter Davison

I will take the original  Princess list along with the above additions (although I am not familiar with a couple of them) and would add Robert Hardy, Daniel Day-Lewis  and, as long as the cast of Endeavor is so well represented, I would add James Bradshaw who played that wonderful medical examiner.

If we're going with British-born actors, who may have made it big in British as well as American cinema.

In no particular order:

1)  Olivia de Havilland (though technically she and sister Joan were born in Toyko)

2) Joan Fontaine

3) Greer Garson

4) Angela Lansbury

5) Julie Andrews

6) Deborah Kerr

7) Emma Thompson

8 )  Elizabeth Taylor

9)  Hayley Mills

10) Helena Bonham-Carter

1) Claude Rains

2) Charles Chaplin

3) George Sanders