Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"Downton Abbey" (2019)

This movie adaptation of he the tv series expands on all the elements that made it a guilty pleasure,  beautiful sets and costumes, beautiful women and men ( yes I admit I have a crush on Allen Leech) ,a witty script and a perfect cast. The movie is pure fantasy in which the servants are very happy to serve the upper class and everyone wants to do their best because the king and queen are paying a visit.  Thomas Barrrow ( Robert James-Collier) the gay buttler is not as obnoxious as he is on the tv show. The highlight of the movie to me was his visit to a secret gay club which is more interesting than the rest of the movie.  Barrow is also given a handsome love interest.  This movie is the perfect escape for our current miserable time.

• 1 month later...

Thomas' visit to the gay club (actually more of a "pop-up" in a space intended for another use, it seemed) was a big point of interest, but it should probably be mentioned that the gathering was raided by police and the attendees were all jailed.  Thomas only escaped ruin and humiliation because the person who had taken an interest in him was well-placed and could use his influence to spring Thomas. Lord knows what happened to all the other guys. The idea that class and wealth have their perks comes as no surprise to Downton fans, where the disparities between the lives of the family and those of their servants have been a matter of close scrutiny. Julian Fellowes found a good way to reemphasize that in the select treatment Thomas received as a beneficiary of power and influence, as opposed to the fate of those left to languish in that jail and then to emerge defeated and with few prospects for acceptance or employment. And yet it seems Thomas has found love, which, by the end of the series, we were hopeful of. The movie as a whole represents a beautiful final coda for the Downton experience and since, personally, my intense love for the show has long since eclipsed any powers of discrimination, I loved every moment.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, DougieB said:

Thomas' visit to the gay club (actually more of a "pop-up" in a space intended for another use, it seemed) was a big point of interest, but it should probably be mentioned that the gathering was raided by police and the attendees were all jailed.  Thomas only escaped ruin and humiliation because the person who had taken an interest in him was well-placed and could use his influence to spring Thomas. Lord knows what happened to all the other guys. The idea that class and wealth have their perks comes as no surprise to Downton fans, where the disparities between the lives of the family and those of their servants have been a matter of close scrutiny. Julian Fellowes found a good way to reemphasize that in the select treatment Thomas received as a beneficiary of power and influence, as opposed to the fate of those left to languish in that jail and then to emerge defeated and with few prospects for acceptance or employment. And yet it seems Thomas has found love, which, by the end of the series, we were hopeful of. The movie as a whole represents a beautiful final coda for the Downton experience and since, personally, my intense love for the show has long since eclipsed any powers of discrimination, I loved every moment.

Yes you are right Thomas escapes because of his well connected love interest. But I wonder how realistic that "pop up gay club" was? Of course does anyone really look for realism in Donwton Abbey?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, jaragon said:

Yes you are right Thomas escapes because of his well connected love interest. But I wonder how realistic that "pop up gay club" was? Of course does anyone really look for realism in Donwton Abbey?

I've got a book on the history of gay London.  They were around.  I haven't seen either the film or the TV series, so I don't know if the depiction is accurate (wouldn't really know anyway, TBH), but these types of venues did exist.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, txfilmfan said:

I've got a book on the history of gay London.  They were around.  I haven't seen either the film or the TV series, so I don't know if the depiction is accurate (wouldn't really know anyway, TBH), but these types of venues did exist.

I'm sure that might be true of a big city like London- they even had male brothels but Downton Abbey is taking place in a small town- you should see the movie just for that scene- which the most surprising and lively moment of the movie

• Like 1