Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
jakeem

Actor-comedian Jerry Stiller (1927-2020)

Jerry Stiller, one-half of the comedy team Stiller and Meara and father of the actor and filmmaker Ben Stiller, has died at the age of 92. Ben Stiller announced his father's death of natural causes this morning on Twitter. 

The elder Stiller would have observed his 93rd birthday on June 8, 2020.

Young Ben Stiller With Jerry Stiller in the 1970s — Ben Stiller ...

Stiller and Anne Meara were opposites from Brooklyn who clicked as a comedy team -- and at marriage (they were wed from 1954 until Meara's death in 2015). He was 5'5" and Jewish. She was 5'6" and an Irish-Catholic. They became popular with television audiences, thanks to their 36 appearances on "The Ed Sullivan Show" in the 1960s and 1970s and numerous bookings on "The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson."

In the 1970s, they tended to work apart as actors. Meara earned four Primetime Emmy nominations for her television work, including the legal series "Kate McShane" and the "All in the Family" comedy spinoff, "Archie Bunker's Place." Stiller appeared in such films as "The Taking of Pelham One Two Three" (1974) and the 1988 and 2007 versions of "Hairspray". In the 1990s, he  became a fixture on TV sitcoms as George Constanza's father Frank on "Seinfeld" (1993-1998) and as Arthur Spooner  on "The King of Queens" (1998-2007).

Ben Stiller and his older sister Amy (pictured below second from the left) both followed in their parents' footsteps. Ben won a Primetime Emmy as the co-writer of "The Ben Stiller Show," a 1992-1993 sketch comedy series he co-created for the FOX Network. He went on to direct and star in such films as "Reality Bites" (1994), "Zoolander" (2001), "Tropic Thunder" (2008) and "Zoolander 2" (2016). Amy is an actress and writer.

See the source image

GuW7rBCF_bigger.jpg

I’m sad to say that my father, Jerry Stiller, passed away from natural causes. He was a great dad and grandfather, and the most dedicated husband to Anne for about 62 years. He will be greatly missed. Love you Dad.

4:15 AM · May 11, 2020·Twitter for iPhone

XDLckmK0_bigger.jpg

Jerry Stiller's comedy will live forever.
1:58 PM · May 11, 2020·Twitter Web App

wmjZ-Xa-_bigger.jpg

The truth is that this happened all the time with Jerry Stiller. He was so funny and such a dear human being. We loved him. RIP Jerry Stiller.

2:15 PM · May 11, 2020·Twitter Web App

VnObAXHQ_bigger.jpg

Such sad news that my beloved friend, Jerry Stiller, has passed. He was perhaps the kindest man I ever had the honor to work beside. He made me laugh when I was a child and every day I was with him. A great actor, a great man, a lovely friend. #RIPJerryStiller I Love you.

11:33 AM · May 11, 2020·Twitter for iPad

7IAyRKaU_bigger.jpg
I’m in tears. So sorry, and thank you for the joy and the laughter, Jerry Stiller, you were, and will always be, comedy gold. RIP

4:31 AM · May 11, 2020·Twitter for iPhone

RIP Jerry Stiller...a legend

The Airing of Grievances: Version Control | Automation Panda

5:55 AM · May 11, 2020·Twitter for iPad

3FsyMMUg_bigger.jpg

This is sad news and a great loss. Not only was he a marvelous comedian and actor, but if you had Jerry Stiller in your corner, you had an implacable advocate and friend #RIPJerry

6:55 AM · May 11, 2020·Twitter for iPhone

• Thanks 5
  • Sad 1

I guess if we waited  long enough, Spence was right after all.         R.I.P. Jerry.

I loved Stiller & Meara. 

As a kid I thought Ann Meara was so pretty and couldn't understand why she'd marry such a little toad like Stiller. Then, I got older....and absolutely discovered the appeal of Jerry Stiller. Not only was he a gem of a guy, he was packed with talent. 

So glad he landed on Seinfeld for another generation to discover his immense comedic talent-and they wrote him the greatest lines!

Rest In Peace. You made the world a better place, Jerry!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

I enjoyed Stiller and Meara very much on their many TV appearances over the years and later, of course, enjoyed Jerry's cantankerous solo turn on Seinfeld ("Festivus for the rest of us").

Jerry Stiller had that special gift to make us laugh. We need more of that in this world.

R.I.P.

• Like 2

Jerry Stiller was such a funny man. A great comedic talent. Loved Stiller and Meara, use to watch them on Ed Sullivan, they were a fixture. No one could have been a better Frank Costanza on Seinfeld. You were a treasure and will be missed.

RIP Jerry Stiller

• Like 1

Just now, lavenderblue19 said:

Jerry Stiller was such a funny man. A great comedic talent. Loved Stiller and Meara, use to watch them on Ed Sullivan, they were a fixture. No one could have been a better Frank Costanza on Seinfeld. You were a treasure and will be missed.

RIP Jerry Stiller

Yep.  Would LOVE it when I'd learn STILLER AND MEARA  were on Sullivan when I'd tune in. But as I never could stomach SEINFELD I can't speak of his tenure there.  But his showing up in various movie and television roles were a plus.  And I always enjoyed his appearances .   Rest In Peace, Jerry.

Sepiatone

I remember a short while back -- maybe a month or so -- when 'spence' had wrongly announced Jerry Stiller had died.  I reckon THIS time he really did pass away. 

First time I saw Jerry Stiller was in THE TAKING OF PELHAM ONE TWO THREE as 'Patrone'. 

• Like 1

Jerry was hilarious on Seinfeld.  He and Estelle Harris were amazing as George Costanza's parents. 

"A new holiday was born, a FESTIVUS FOR THE REST-OF-US." 

Even though Leah Remini and Kevin James could get on my nerves on King of Queens, Stiller's character was always funny. I also loved him in Zoolander where he played Maury Ballstein, Derek Zoolander's agent.  

RIP Jerry.

• Like 3

I grew up watching Stiller and Meara on "The Ed Sullivan Show".

They were a wonderful contrasting couple. They had a comedy act that should have been as successful as Burns and Allen, but as it was they were awfully good.

Later Ann did some straight roles, even worked on a soap opera, while Jerry went into sitcom history with "Seinfeld".

Easily, the best two performers in the entire show were Estelle Harris and Jerry Stiller playing George Costanza's picky parents and carrying whole "Seinfeld" episodes with bizarre stop shorts, speaking in Korean, Lost TV Guides, the bro, and Festivus --while all the time psychologically torturing their unsuccessful son George, brilliantly played by Jason Alexander.

Stiller and Meara made our lives a little happier by just being  in it.

• Thanks 1

It's lovely watching the jocular chemistry and affection that existed between Jerry Stiller and Anne Meara after 58 years of marriage in this interview. They're together again and I'm sure they have the angels laughing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A FESTIVUS FOR THE REST OF US!!!! Thanks for all the laughs through the years...

THE BRO! THE MANSSIERE! So many classic episodes..

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Hibi said:

THE BRO! THE MANZZIERE! So many classic episodes..

Then there was the classic Glamour magazine incident...

RIP
"You couldn't smooth a silk sheet if you had a hot date with a babe!"

v90LrlR__bigger.jpg

Stiller's Frank Costanza explained and celebrated Festivus every Dec. 23, which he created as a reaction to the commercialization of Christmas, in "The Strike," which aired Dec. 18, 1997, in the ninth and final season of 'Seinfeld.'

6:02 AM · May 12, 2020·SocialNewsDesk
  • Like 1