Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Do Classic Films Have More Freedom Then Modern Films

21 hours ago, EricJ said:

Try watching the 00's/10's remakes of Footloose, Fame, Total Recall and Rollerball, and get back to me.

I did.  And they didn't cut it for me either.

Sepiatone

11 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

Well Mr. Reagan, 

I STILL don't think it was Hollywood being afraid of offending white Southerners per se, But instead, their white Southern representatives in the house.  ;) But, whatever the reason given, I doubt there was much sincerity behind it. (the "Mr. Reagan" thing being a jab at your, "There you go again" opening.  :D )

Sepiatone

Of course there wasn't much sincerity behind it.    I doubt there was any.   I.e.  Hollywood  suits viewed them as hicks but hicks that still purchased tickets. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

I did.  And they didn't cut it for me either.

Yep--Probably because 00's movies have so much money at stake for their corporate parents, they have to be slick!  And important!  And demographically balanced!  And afraid of offending any possible audience who might not buy $10 tickets or even, gasp, laugh at their expensive stars and CGI FX.

So, if the 00's Total Recall becomes a trip to China instead of a trip to Mars, or if Chucky in the '19 Child's Play has to be an Internet-connected smart-toy who was deliberately mis-programmed by a disgruntled Chinese factory employee, or the new Rollerball has to have our teen rollerblading hero fight for freedom against a Russian gangster's pirate-satellite broadcast, or if the dad in the 00's Amityville Horror has to keep launching into strobe/flash-edited artsy-montage visions of demons, or the new Medusa in the '10 Clash of the Titans has to be attractive, because that was the original story, hey, it's a new interpretation.

• Like 1

So, I'm supposing an 00's presentation of ROMEO AND JULIET might have Romeo and friends roaming the streets of not Verona, but New York and wearing baseball cps with the bills facing left or right and baggy jeans hanging off their butt cheeks and Juliet and the girls dressed who knows HOW "trampy".  And all in a dimwitted effort to appear "relevant" .  Guys with hair shorn very short on the sides with the top long and slicked back like a lot of other millennial metrosexual  schmutzes I see around town. And maybe instead of sword fights, they'd have DANCE FIGHTS!  :rolleyes:  I mean, that fiasco with Leonardo Dicaprio in '96 that had John Leguizamo as Tybalt declare, "Romeo, thou art a villain!" ( a line actually spoken by OTHELLO to IAGO in another play).  Only Othello didn't call Iago "Romeo".  ;)   I've seen(thanks to mandatory English class field trips) the play Romeo and Juliet a few times and of course, we read it in classes.  And I don't recall Tybalt ever saying that to Romeo.  Not even in the '68 production, which we all went to see because of OLIVIA HUSSEY's split second nude scene.  ;)   But then too, I might have slept through it during English class, or the Hillberry theater productions.

Sepiatone

2 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

So, I'm supposing an 00's presentation of ROMEO AND JULIET might have Romeo and friends roaming the streets of not Verona, but New York and wearing baseball cps with the bills facing left or right and baggy jeans hanging off their butt cheeks and Juliet and the girls dressed who knows HOW "trampy".  And all in a dimwitted effort to appear "relevant" .  Guys with hair shorn very short on the sides with the top long and slicked back like a lot of other millennial metrosexual  schmutzes I see around town. And maybe instead of sword fights, they'd have DANCE FIGHTS!  :rolleyes:  I mean, that fiasco with Leonardo Dicaprio in '96 that had John Leguizamo as Tybalt declare, "Romeo, thou art a villain!" ( a line actually spoken by OTHELLO to IAGO in another play).  

I would consider that a minor complaint, compared to making Romeo's wisecracking buddy Mercutio a drug-popping party-monster black drag queen...

Speaking of Shakespeare . . . there is a truly dreadful 1982 movie called OTHELLO - THE BLACK COMMANDO starring Tony Curtis, Joanna Pettet and Max H. Boulois (who also directed). 

I dare anyone to watch this mess and call it 'entertainment'. 

• Haha 1