Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Movie lines you'd use as an epitaph--how morbid!

11 hours ago, SansFin said:

I thought that all discerning people who claimed familiarity with good movies would recognize it as a line spoken by the character Hoban 'Wash' Washburn in the movie: Serenity (2005). It is spoken at the moment when a person either slinks away and lives the rest of their life as a coward or they accept that they do not have to be brave to accomplish a great good if they will only relinquish their sense of self and allow fate to carry them where it will. I clearly misjudged my audience.

I could have gone with that character's second-most-famous line: "Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!"

Why, SANS----

It's not like you to be so judgemental and snotty. You do realize, don'tcha.... that people can have familiarity with only what THEY, individually,,  consider good movies. And maybe SLAYTON never saw the movie, or did but didn't think it all that good.  At least not enough to bother committing pithy lines from it to memory.

Careful getting down from that "high horse", and don't get nosebleed while up there.  ;)

Sepiatone

• Like 1
On 5/14/2020 at 11:18 PM, SansFin said:

I clearly misjudged my audience.

What's the line from Plan 9 From Outer Space about "You people of Earth are idiots!"

• Haha 2
22 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

It's not like you to be so judgemental and snotty. You do realize, don'tcha.... that people can have familiarity with only what THEY, individually,,  consider good movies.

So what we have here is a failure to communicate?

• Haha 2
On 5/15/2020 at 10:30 AM, Sepiatone said:

Why, SANS----

It's not like you to be so judgemental and snotty. You do realize, don'tcha.... that people can have familiarity with only what THEY, individually,,  consider good movies. And maybe SLAYTON never saw the movie, or did but didn't think it all that good.  At least not enough to bother committing pithy lines from it to memory.

Careful getting down from that "high horse", and don't get nosebleed while up there.  ;)

Sepiatone

Yea,  I'm very surprised as well.     Like Bette Davis implied,  this line is really a stinker: "I thought that all discerning people who claimed familiarity with good movies would recognize it as a line spoken by,,,,,".

I know that when it comes to music I'm a snob (and sometimes a slob as well,  ha ha),   but even I don't get that high up on my horse.    

I'm going to assume that comment wasn't meant as a put-down but just being clueless to the views of others.

Also,  this website is focused more on studio-era movies.    E.g.   I have seen at least 1,400 studio era films,   but less than 100 or so post 1970 ones (and the vast majority of these on airplanes where I don't have a choice).     Same goes for non-jazz music;  e.g.  I openly admit that I'm not familiar with 95% of the non-jazz music made after 1975.

• Like 1
On 5/16/2020 at 7:39 AM, Fedya said:

So what we have here is a failure to communicate?

What we have here is a serious case of my misjudging my talent at bringing humour into a post. It is clearly my failing as not one person sensed at any level that the so very over-the-top high-hat attitude was meant as anything but a snide poke at my neglect to provide a reference. 

I apologize for creating such a hubbub, Bub.

It would now be apropos for me to fall on my sword. I do not happen to have a sword at hand. I do have a slice of chocolate buttercream cheesecake. I shall throw myself on that with all the self-sacrificing gusto which I can manage.

• Like 2
13 hours ago, SansFin said:

What we have here is a serious case of my misjudging my talent at bringing humour into a post. It is clearly my failing as not one person sensed at any level that the so very over-the-top high-hat attitude was anything but a snide poke at my neglect to provide a reference. 

I apologize for creating such a hubbub, Bub.

It would now be apropos for me to fall on my sword. I do not happen to have a sword at hand. I do have a slice of chocolate buttercream cheesecake. I shall throw myself on that with all the self-sacrificing gusto which I can manage.

Hey,  if the line was satire,  I'm sorry for not getting it.   Like I said,  I assumed it wasn't meant to be a put-down since that wouldn't be like you.

I think we can all agree there needs to be a satire font!  

• Like 2
13 hours ago, slaytonf said:

Another lamentable instance of the lack of an emoticon with its tongue in its cheek leading to misunderstanding with tragic consequences.

Am I truly reduced to being a Foghorn Leghorn who must label their attempts at humor?

5PAtH7U.jpg

• Haha 2
Just now, SansFin said:

Am I truly reduced to being a Foghorn Leghorn who must label their attempts at humor?

5PAtH7U.jpg

Nope, not at least from this quarter anyway, Sans, and even though I must admit I also was unfamiliar with the movie Serenity you had earlier referenced.

And so, after I read that post of yours the other day, I found the IMDb webpage for it and started reading its movie quotes page which I found contained many funny and clever lines, and which then made me want to see this film.

(...and while reading through them, I knew why someone with as good a sense of humor as you have would like this movie and why you posted that quote from it in this thread)

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Nope, not at least from this quarter anyway, Sans, and even though I must admit I also was unfamiliar with the movie Serenity you had earlier referenced.

And so, after I read that post of yours the other day, I found the IMDb webpage for it and started reading its movie quotes page which I found contained many funny and clever lines, and which then made me want to see this film.

(...and while reading through them, I knew why someone with as good a sense of humor as you have would like this movie and why you posted that quote from it in this thread)

A comparison of the two avatars says a lot.     Sans avatar is the poster child for complete serenity,  as well as sincerity.  

Your avatar;   it speaks for itself! 

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

A comparison of the two avatars says a lot.     Sans avatar is the poster child for complete serenity,  as well as sincerity.  

Your avatar;   is speaks for itself! 

Yes, and whatever it's sayin'...I'm against it!

HorseFeathers-Groucho.jpg

;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
2 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Sans avatar is the poster child for complete serenity,  as well as sincerity.  

I have been told that sincerity is the most important aspect in communication. Once you can fake that then you can get by with anything.

Edit to add: ;)

• Haha 2
2 hours ago, Dargo said:

I do hope that you are able to find the movie and watch it. It truly is very funny. It is very charming, violent, thought-provoking, disturbing and grotesque also. The lines are all the better when delivered with the panache which all the actors embody. This is one of those movies which leaves the impression that the crew had fun making it.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, SansFin said:

5PAtH7U.jpg

That is a territory I fear to tread.

But, that would be a good epitaph!

Foghorn--I say--Foghorn Leghorn's quote, that is.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, SansFin said:

5PAtH7U.jpg

I found that to be true of me in several forums.   Many of my good natured "elbow jabs" and responses in "playful banter" have been stupidly( and IMO) labeled as "passive/aggressive"  insults.  :huh:   ???  Seems gone are the days when people in online forums weren't required to ast like they're at Sunday school. :wacko:

"Passive/aggressive"?   Sounds like something made up by humorless oxymorons.  ;)

Sepiatone

• Like 1

Passive-aggressive behavior was first defined clinically by Colonel William Menninger during World War II in the context of men's reaction to military compliance. Menninger described soldiers who were not openly defiant but expressed their civil disobedience (what he called "aggressiveness") "by passive measures, such as pouting, stubbornness, procrastination, inefficiency, and passive obstructionism" due to what Menninger saw as an "immaturity" and a reaction to "routine military stress".[10]

22 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

Passive-aggressive behavior was first defined clinically by Colonel William Menninger during World War II in the context of men's reaction to military compliance. Menninger described soldiers who were not openly defiant but expressed their civil disobedience (what he called "aggressiveness") "by passive measures, such as pouting, stubbornness, procrastination, inefficiency, and passive obstructionism" due to what Menninger saw as an "immaturity" and a reaction to "routine military stress".[10]

Yeah, kind'a strange how some guys react to be being used as cannon fodder, ain't it Colonel.

Why, you'd think they'd relish the opportunity, wouldn't ya!

(...saaay, I wonder if this comment of mine here might be "passive-aggressive" itself?...naaaah)

;)

• Haha 3

"Passive/Aggressive" club?   Sounded like an easier start-up than the club I'M trying to get off the ground.

I'm having trouble finding ANYONE who wants to join my "Non-Conformist" club.  ;) 

Sepiatone

• Haha 1