Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

BATHING BEAUTY

CineMaven

12:45 AM Bathing Beauty (1944)

A songwriter enrolls in an all-girl school to court a pretty gym teacher. Cast: Red Skelton, Esther Williams, Basil Rathbone. Dir: George Sidney. C-101 mins, TV-G, CC

How many of you checked out this very funny comedy. I wish Red Skelton didn't act so goofy becuz he really was quite a good looking man. (The mugging kills it). Esther Williams, was one of the prettiest actresses of the 1940's and quite athletic with her swimming.

This was a very enjoyable comedy. (Saw tv's "Rhoda"'s mom in this as a young woman). Loved Ethel Smith and Williams' swimming. When M-G-M doods it...they really dood it!!

I have it on the background right now, but I've seen it a few times before - most recently when they released the Esther Williams DVD boxset.

It's a great movie, although I think it's usually classified more as a musical than a romantic comedy.

P.S. That's a really great rendition of "Alma Llanera" by Lina Romay, with Xavier Cougat and his orchestra.

I've seen it several times before, too, and I still enjoy it. But I must say it's pretty flimsy plot material on which to hang such a long and expensive-looking color movie. But the two stars and the musical acts make it all worthwhile, along with the always delightful Jean Porter.

But how in the world did Basil Rathbone come to be in this? Calling Sherlock Holmes!