Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

15 Favorite American Actors and Actresses All Time.

Found out R. Russell is indeed American.  Olivia D. and Joan F. (let's play some Family Feud - Warren and Shirley can also play along - all four good actors), along with Vivian Leigh, are British rather than Asian.

Paul Muni was an American Jew who played a Chinese Man (to Louise R.' s Olan (?) in Pearl Buck's The Good Earth)

As for Meryl, I have several friends and several Viet Nam War Vets who remember Hanoi Jane (she also didn't need to throw her Dad and the man whom she was married to (i.e., Ted Turner) under the bus.

Adolph Menjou, Robert Montgomery (father of Samantha Stevens asks Elizabeth), and John Wayne were anti-Communist.  Judy Holliday, among others, played stupid in front of HUAC although she had a genius level IQ/

Comment re: newer actors - some people named more recent actors (some of whom I would never put on the list - Kate Hepburn made a snide comment about Sharon Stone showing her privates and I don't think Faye Dunaway was liked by Bette D.  At least she gave Miriam Hopkins (did someone mention her and Herbert Marshall?) credit for being a good actress.  If Paul Newman is included, I would also include his wife (if I didn't already), Joanne Woodward.

Walter Matthau

Ruby Dee and Ossie David

Can someone give me American Asian actors of yesteryear?

23 minutes ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

Olivia D. and Joan F. (let's play some Family Feud - Warren and Shirley can also play along - all four good actors), along with Vivian Leigh, are British rather than Asian.

Of course Olivia De Havilland isn't Asian.     I was just cracking wise because she was born in Tokyo.     E.g.  if Colbert is French because she was born in France (but moved to NY when she was 3),  why can't Olivia be Japanese.  (ha ha).

As for Olivia and Joan;  Can one say they are ONLY British,  since they had dual passports and became American citizens in the early 40s (as well as making mostly American films and few British films)? 

The point being that some,  like myself,   don't define actors like them in such a narrow fashion,  (in that; as being  from 'this one country' only)  as it relates to their film career and legacy.    Like I said that doesn't mean there is one right-way to view this,  just that there are multiple ways. 

• Like 1

The Ladies: Joan Crawford, Bette Davis, Doris Day, Irene Dunne,  Goldie Hawn, Katharine Hepburn, Diane Keaton, Jessica Lange,  Myrna Loy, Shirley MacLaine, Ginger Rogers,  Rosalind Russell, Barbara Stanwyck,  Barbra Streisand, Meryl Streep

The Gentlemen: Jeff Bridges, Montgomery Clift, Robert Duvall,  Glenn Ford, Gene Hackman, Rock Hudson,   Burt Lancaster, Jack Lemmon, Walter Matthau, Steve McQueen, Robert Mitchum, Robert Redford,  Jimmy Stewart, Al Pacino, William Powell

• Like 3
13 minutes ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

I misspelled Ossie Davis (not David).

Maybe we should start a new thread with the most over-rated actors (referring to talent).  Since TCM is devoted to movies, we shouldn't talk about actors on TV or Broadway.  Or film stars who flopped on the stage.

I believe such a thread was created many years ago.    Of course I maybe I'm just remembering a George Raft or June Allyson thread (ok,  low blow but a hint at who I would place on such a thread).

Way back when, about a hundred years ago, I came up with my lists for this topic...which I put in the About Me area of my profile.

I did them in groups of 20 and they were my favorite stars, not necessarily my favorite actors. 

One thing I did keep in mind is that my number one male choice and my number one female choice had to be people that I considered triple threats-- meaning they could do comedy, they could do drama, and most importantly, they were talented musically. This is why someone like Bette Davis, whom I consider a great dramatic actress, does not make my list for the females. She really couldn't do comedy very well and didn't have a musical bone in her body. She also wasn't known as a dancer. Lucille Ball does not make my list for a similar reason-- she is a great comedic actress but couldn't do drama very well and couldn't sing, though she could dance.

FAVORITE STARS
Male

Screen Shot 2018-09-25 at 2.56.59 PM.jpg
1. Dick Powell...could do it all; mastered multiple genres; had a career as a director and producer.
2. James Garner...incredibly versatile, moved back and forth between film and television with ease.
3. Fred MacMurray...could do comedy and drama, plus he had musical ability.
4. Jack Lemmon...stereotyped as a comedic actor but also turned in fine dramatic performances.
5. Frank Sinatra...could do it all; engaging personality.
6. William Holden...good at comedy and drama; not musically inclined but made up for it as a sex symbol.
7. Robert Mitchum...versatile, underrated performer; was at his best playing villains, though people don't think of him as a villain type.
8. Charles Laughton...versatile; turned hammy acting into an art form; also directed.
9. Fredric March...could do it all; don't think he had musical talent, but he was one of America's strongest dramatic actors on stage and in film.
10. Richard Burton...it was all too easy for him; his worst performances are the ones where he's not challenged enough, but even those are good.
11. Edward Arnold
12. George Sanders
13. Paul Newman
14. Edward G. Robinson
15. Paul Muni
16. Gene Kelly
17. Sidney Poitier
18. John Garfield
19. Gregory Peck
20. Jack Palance

Female

Screen Shot 2019-02-08 at 8.17.30 PM.jpeg
1. Judy Holliday...could do it all; had great charm and vulnerability.
2. Claudette Colbert...perfect example of a star/actress who could fit any premise at any studio; never gave a bad performance.
3. Kay Francis...played comedy and drama with ease, though she excelled in melodrama.
4. Joan Crawford...the smartest actress who ever worked in Hollywood; knew her limitations and her strengths; total control of facial expression in any role.
5. Deborah Kerr...a chameleon; could play wholesome roles with a touch of villainy, which means she conveys a dualism that is missing from the work of most other actresses.
6. Ingrid Bergman...elevated suffering to an art form. I honestly think she was playing herself and her own off-screen dramas, which she superimposed on to her screen and stage roles. She's fascinating to watch.
7. Marion Davies...excelled at pantomime and over-the-top comedy. She paved the way for Carole Lombard, Lucille Ball and Judy Holliday.
8. Jean Simmons...like Ingrid Bergman, she's playing the tortured aspects of her own private life on screen through her characters.
9. Ida Lupino...a smart, creative performer who did just as well as a director as she did acting. I love watching her later stuff, where she is being directed by other people, but it's clear she's really directing herself. Her instincts are always on target in any scene.
10. Geraldine Page...versatile, she has put 150% into rehearsal, so that when she goes before the camera, it all flows naturally. But we know that the roles she chooses are difficult to play, and she has done a lot of planning and work prior to committing the role to film.
11. Kim Stanley
12. Dorothy McGuire
13. Ann Sothern
14. Lauren Bacall
15. Judy Garland
16. Evelyn Keyes
17. Janet Gaynor
18. Martha Raye
19. Gloria Grahame
20. Ruth Roman

My Mom was a friend of Judy Holliday.  They didn't use mammograms back then.  She died way too young.

Melvin Douglas was a great actor.

As far as over-rated, mixed feelings on George Raft but June Allyson (especially with Dick Powell listed under someone's faves) I completely agree with.  Irene Dunne was at least a double threat.  Also, it is hard to judge Audrey Hepburn - comedy and drama, yes, singing and dancing (when she wasn't dubbed, they worked around her).  Vivian Leigh would be on my list, as would Audrey.  Peter O'Toole played against type (spoofing Errol Flynn on Your Show of Shows) on My Favorite Year.  I first noticed him in Becket.  Sammy Davis Jr. was a triple threat and, in the original Oceans Eleven, he steals the movie.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, CinemaInternational said:

During the time I was away, I can't believe I forgot William Holden......

It is always easy to add another.   The hard part is who is 'chopped' (ha ha); 

Here is your original 15: 

The Gentlemen: Jeff Bridges, Montgomery Clift, Robert Duvall,  Glenn Ford, Gene Hackman, Rock Hudson,   Burt Lancaster, Jack Lemmon, Walter Matthau, Steve McQueen, Robert Mitchum, Robert Redford,  Jimmy Stewart, Al Pacino, William Powell

•  
1 minute ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

It is always easy to add another.   The hard part is who is 'chopped' (ha ha); 

Here is your original 15: 

•  

Probably Redford gets the boot. These were hard lists to create. Actresses especially are hard to narrow down.

17 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

Probably Redford gets the boot. These were hard lists to create. Actresses especially are hard to narrow down.

Yea,  these  list are hard especially after one sees lists  done by others;   I also have had 'how did I leave that person out' moments.  

My overall view is that if one's list doesn't change from time to time,  it means they are not watching enough movies!    i.e. they are stuck in a rut.  

• Like 2