Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I am now watching the above Lloyd Bacon/Busby Berkeley film. Was it the last of the " GOLD DIGGERS " franchise? At the roughly 3/4 Mark now, it does seem like they were trying a slightly different approach, with less emphasis on the " trying to put on a Broadway show " theme and a little less emphasis on what being a " GOLD DIGGERS " actually means - reflecting the Code/Breen era and perhaps wanting to try s different approach to the concept/a little over familiar with it? The more farcical approach, if you will?

Dick Powell looked weird with a " grown-up " mustache. Was the male hoofer who had a number early in the film the same one who dances on the giant rocking chair in the one and only trademark " Busby Berkeey " number? Only one - earlier Berkeley films I've seen had more than that! Cutting on the presumably budget-busting expense of setting up a rehearsing these extravaganzas? Code-wise, I'd presume that the earlier film's close-ups of the chorines displayed more ample helpings of cleavage and crotch close-ups than the later one!

A wiki search for "gold diggers of" brings up the following titles:

Screen Shot 2020-05-17 at 6.03.27 AM

I should tell you that GOLD DIGGERS '49 is an animated short film from the same studio (Warners) featuring Porky Pig.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold_Diggers_of_'49

There is also GOLD DIGGERS IN PARIS (1938) which was the last in the series that you were referencing. Rudy Vallee has the lead role:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold_Diggers_in_Paris

20 hours ago, TopBilled said:

GOLD DIGGERS OF BROADWAY (1929) is a lost film. 

At least I've seen excerpts from it. Richard Barrios presented a fabulous Busby Berkeley number with all the girls in prison wearing striped uniforms at a rare film festival! What a HOOT!

(I believe a number taking place on a giant spiderweb was from GDoBW too, possibly a different lost film?)

• 2 weeks later...

...Practically all of the last 2 reels of GDoBW survive and are easily available. Is this prison number you refer to from it? I don't remember that. Busby Berkeley had nothing to do with GDoBW.