Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
MovieMadness

Marijuana May Not Lower Your IQ

Marijuana May Not Lower Your IQ

Around the world, about 188 million people use marijuana every year. The drug has been legalized for recreational use in 11 U.S. states, and it may eventually become legal at the federal level. In a Gallup survey conducted last summer, 12 percent of American adults reported that they smoked marijuana, including 22 percent of 18- to 29-year-olds. Those are the stats. The consequences remain a mystery.

As access to marijuana increases—and while acceptance of the drug grows and perception of its harmfulness diminishes—it is important to consider the potential for long-term ill effects, especially in users who start young. One of marijuana’s best-documented consequences is short-lived interference with memory. The substance makes it harder to get information into memory and, subsequently, to access it, with larger doses causing progressively more problems. Much less documented, however, is whether the drug has lasting effects on cognitive abilities. Finding the answer to that question is essential. Depending on the severity of any such effects and their persistence, marijuana use could have significant downstream impacts on education, employment, job performance and income.

There are plausible reasons why the teenage brain may be especially vulnerable to the effects of marijuana use. Natural cannabinoids play an essential role in brain cell migration and development from fetal life onward. And adolescence is a crucial age for finalizing brain sculpting and white matter proliferation. The hippocampi, paired structures in the temporal lobe that are crucial in the formation of new memories, are studded with cannabinoid receptors. THC, the main ingredient behind marijuana’s “high,” acts on the brain’s cannabinoid receptors to mimic some of the effects of the body’s endogenous cannabinoids, such as anandamide. The compound’s effects are more persistent and nonphysiological, however. It may be throwing important natural processes out of balance.

A key report on marijuana appeared in 2012. It was issued by a research group that had tracked the development of 1,000 New Zealanders born in the city of Dunedin in the early 1970s. Having assessed measures of cognition and IQ starting at age three, the researchers recorded participants’ use of the drug from their early teen years through their 30s. While those who never used marijuana showed slight IQ increases over time, users experienced steady IQ declines proportional to how long they had smoked and how much. At age 38, users who had started young reported more problems with subjective thinking, and their close friends described them as having attention and memory difficulties. Those who smoked marijuana heavily as adolescents and later quit never fully returned to the baseline. The effect involved all cognitive domains, from remembering lists of words to processing information, solving problems and paying attention. The three dozen people who had used the drug most persistently had an overall decline of around six to eight IQ points. That’s a big deal. So you might think, “Case closed. Smoking dope makes you dopey.” But not so fast.

In a world run by evil scientists, determining the effects of marijuana on IQ would be simple: A randomly determined half of the population would be exposed to the drug during adolescence, and the remainder would be given a placebo. Scientists could compare subjects’ cognitive scores before and after marijuana use, and, presto, you would have your answer. For such answers in the real world, however, we rely on epidemiology, a branch of science that addresses population-level questions ethically. Two important longitudinal strategies for disentangling cause versus consequences are large-scale cohort studies and twin designs. The advantage of the former strategy, as used in the Dunedin study, is that each participant acts as his or her own control. Given that every child starts with a different IQ, it is simple to measure whether Johnny’s or Janie’s scores rise or fall over time in relation to their marijuana use (measured by individual accounts of the quantity, frequency and duration of that use.)

If someone has the money, they can get "scientists" to come up with whatever outcome they want in any study. That's what they have done with global warming, so now they will go shopping for scientists to say marijuana makes you an Einstein.

my late aunt a nurse who worked in a drug rehab facility said to me once that those mainstreaming marijuana were posterior orifices. historically it (was) known that marijuana use was a gateway drug that would eventually lead to the hard drugs like heroin and LSD.  on court TV I saw carroll O'Connor who lost his adopted son Hugh to drug addiction testify that his son started smoking pot as a teenager so this whole scam is a raft of liberal HS.

the left they doan wanna know anymore. smoke to your heart's content they now say.

phoneys!

:angry:

We are currently doing a full USA country wide study that Christianity is apparently lowering I.Q.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

my late aunt a nurse who worked in a drug rehab facility said to me once that those mainstreaming marijuana were posterior orifices. historically it (was) known that marijuana use was a gateway drug that would eventually lead to the hard drugs like heroin and LSD.  on court TV I saw carroll O'Connor who lost his adopted son Hugh to drug addiction testify that his son started smoking pot as a teenager so this whole scam is a raft of liberal HS.

the left they doan wanna know anymore. smoke to your heart's content they now say.

phoneys!

:angry:

Carroll O'Connor was just a crummy father so he had to blame his son being a moron on others.     The entire gateway drug concept is BS,  but IF one wishes to believe in it, clearly the main gateway drugs are alcohol and nicotine.      Drink booze and smoke cigs to your heart's determent,  has been the message since this nation was founded! 

Good news for Willie. I always get a kick out of Jack Webb's anti-drug speeches. Have to admit that guy

could talk really fast. I often wondered what he was on. My favorite was the episode where the baby

drowned because hippie mommy was high on weed. I'm sure for a small number of people marijuana was a

gateway drug to harder things, but obviously many more people smoked pot than shot heroin.  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Vautrin said:

Good news for Willie. I always get a kick out of Jack Webb's anti-drug speeches. Have to admit that guy

could talk really fast. I often wondered what he was on. My favorite was the episode where the baby

drowned because hippie mommy was high on weed. I'm sure for a small number of people marijuana was a

gateway drug to harder things, but obviously many more people smoked pot than shot heroin.  

One unforgettable episode is Blue Boy.  ("LSD Story")

IMG_0021.jpg

dragnet-1.png

He's definitely no Mel Gibson.

aSOw15sjZo0hmmTUv6M2EzUq8rVL5uyv9zwPdNHE

:P:lol:

Yeah, Blue Boy was a classic. Far out, man. I got a kick out of the one where Friday goes to night

school and finds out a few of his fellow students are selling drugs. At the end of the episode he

busts them. Should have kept your big traps shut, kids. Dumb da dumb dumb.

On 5/17/2020 at 3:42 PM, cigarjoe said:

We are currently study doing a full USA country wide study that Christianity is apparently lowering I.Q....then most of the world human population is stupid because most of humanity believes in a higher power than we can see.

"for only the fool has said in his heart there is no God." -Gilbert Roland, the miracle of our lady of fatima

Miracle Of Our Lady Of Fatima, The (1952) -- (Movie Clip) Miracles ...470 × 264

:P

15 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

Yea,  Nipkow,  you believe in the same mythical 'god' as Muslims.  

You must love those guys over heathens like me!  

I always loved that "gateway drug" nonsense.  Being a smoker for 10 years, I'd say that it was amphetamines that turned me to weed!  ;)  Took the edge off.

Two guys I used to work with used to split a nickel of scag every Friday, and leave it on a table top at our work station( we worked in an obscure part of the department)  and both would go to it and use the corner of their driver's license to scoop up some and snort it!  And one of them, a "hi-lo" driver, would wash it down with a slug of either orange or lime flavored vodka!! 

One afternoon, I lit up a "J" and handed it to Mickey(the hi-lo driver) and he begged off saying,  "Man, I can't handle that weed.  No thanks!" ???  So, he can snort heroin, but not hit on any weed?   Go figure.

"Underground" rock station WABX--FM did a parody on the "gateway" thing, doing a mock PSA that went----

"Remember......  100% of all hard drug users started off by drinking MILK!"  :D   

Sepiastone  ;) 

• Haha 1

Actually here guys, I just read an article that supports the idea that the wacky weed just might be a "gateway" drug after all. Although it said its field research data had been limited to the St. Louis area.

Specifically, to this part of St. Louis...

gateway-arch.jpg

Yep, evidently a lot of people who go up in that thing are already high!

(...okay, so it's a slow day around here...sorry)