Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Close Encounters of the Third Kind

I don't know if there is already a topic on Steven Spielberg's "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" (1977), but I was wondering if someone could shed some light for me on this movie. I am referring to what is called the "extended version" or "The Director's Cut" if you will. In one version of that movie there is a scene where the main character (Richard Dreyfuss) is trying to explain fractions to his son by playing with a model train at home. In another version, Richard Dreyfuss is playing with the model train, but alone. His son is not in that scene and there is no reference to an arithmetic problem (fraction) to be solved. By the way, that's the version that is currently available on Netflix. Now, which one of these two versions is the director's cut ? Also, in one version, when the power plant calls Dreyfuss to go fix the line, he first stops at the plant and have a discussion face to face with his supervisor. In another version, that scene is not included. Instead, he goes straight to the field to fix the electrical problem.