Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
MovieMadness

Why Cuomo Reversed His Order That Forced Nursing Homes to Accept Coronavirus Carriers

Why Cuomo Reversed His Order That Forced Nursing Homes to Accept Coronavirus Carriers

Last week I wrote about the troubling policy in New York and many other states that forces nursing homes to admit COVID-19-infected patients.

This week, under mounting scrutiny and political pressure, New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced an outright reversal of the policy. Via the New York Post:

Patients in New York hospitals must now test negative for the coronavirus before they can be discharged to nursing homes, Gov. Andrew Cuomo said Sunday — partially reversing a policy that forced sickened seniors into facilities housing those most vulnerable.

“We’re just not going to send a person who is positive to a nursing home after a hospital visit,” said Cuomo during an Albany press briefing. “Period.”

While Cuomo and his subordinates claim nursing homes were never actually forced to admit COVID-19 infected patients—they could try to dump these residents off on other facilities equipped to take them, they argue—the reversal gives long-term care facilities what they asked for all along: the ability to screen incoming residents for COVID-19.

Nursing homes had been denied the ability to screen by an order issued by the New York Department of Health, which stated, “No resident shall be denied re-admission or admission to the [nursing home] solely based on a confirmed or suspected diagnosis of COVID-19.”

The idea was that it was discriminatory to treat COVID-19 residents any differently than non-infected residents. But this is madness—the whole purpose of a quarantine is to discriminate the healthy from the sick so we can keep them separated and reduce spread of illness.

A policy that prohibits nursing homes from screening residents for COVID-19 infection is, to be blunt, incredibly foolish and dangerous. But I’ve already explained the thinking behind such policies. In light of Cuomo’s reversal, a different question needs to be asked: What prompted the 180?

One might suggest that Cuomo reversed course when he saw the results of the policy. But this doesn’t appear to be the case.

On Sunday, Cuomo was still defending his state’s handling of the novel coronavirus, pointing out that a relatively low percentage of New York’s 21,478 coronavirus deaths—5,300, according to media reports—occurred in nursing homes.

So Cuomo was forcing nursing homes to take Covid patients into their facilities to spread the virus? No wonder that state got hit so hard with infections.

Cuomo made a lot of mistakes.     Not as many as Trump and his admin,  but still a lot of mistakes and misjudgments.    Cuomo failed IMO and CNN provides him cover for his lack of judgement and incompetence.

I'd cut him slack if only because, like all those above him, he was unfamiliar with what it was and unprepared to deal with it.  But, unlike many above him, he did at least try to do something.  And since the OP failed to reveal the source of this info, I'm a bit dubious about it all. 

Sepiatone

9 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

I'd cut him slack if only because, like all those above him, he was unfamiliar with what it was and unprepared to deal with it.  But, unlike many above him, he did at least try to do something.  And since the OP failed to reveal the source of this info, I'm a bit dubious about it all. 

Sepiatone

Governor Newsom had the same info Cuomo had and he acted sooner with regards to social distancing and closing down certain business.   

Also do you give Trump and his admin the same 'slack'?      To me the entire concept of 'cutting a politician some slack' is just partisan BS.

Instead I support calling-a-spade-a-spade;     Cuomo made many mistakes (as did other Governors,  mostly GOP ones) and the buck,   mostly,  stops there.   (as well as the Federal goofballs whose action or lack thereof impacted all states).

I said "him" and not "them" when it came to slack.  So no.... Trump gets no slack from me.  Unless, like the saying goes, it's enough to hang himself with.  ;) 

Sepiatone

10 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

I said "him" and not "them" when it came to slack.  So no.... Trump gets no slack from me.  Unless, like the saying goes, it's enough to hang himself with.  ;) 

Sepiatone

Thanks for proving my point:  To me the entire concept of 'cutting a politician some slack' is just partisan BS.

Have no idea of what "point" I helped prove, but if you're happy, then OK.

Sepiatone

1 hour ago, Sepiatone said:

Have no idea of what "point" I helped prove, but if you're happy, then OK.

Sepiatone

I don't know why I even try,  but I'm going to do so,  yet again;

Why are you cutting Cuomo 'slack' and NOT Trump?     Partisan politics?

If NOT,  what is the reason?  

2 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Governor Newsom had the same info Cuomo had and he acted sooner with regards to social distancing and closing down certain business.   

Also do you give Trump and his admin the same 'slack'?      To me the entire concept of 'cutting a politician some slack' is just partisan BS.

Instead I support calling-a-spade-a-spade;     Cuomo made many mistakes (as did other Governors,  mostly GOP ones) and the buck,   mostly,  stops there.   (as well as the Federal goofballs whose action or lack thereof impacted all states).

I believe Cuomo acted on the one county that was showing an outbreak..  The problem didn't seem State wide.  And at that point they didn't know that the virus was flooding into New York from Europe and not from China .  He was relying on people from China either being banned or screened.

You cannot compare New York to California or Washington.  Everyone drives a car on the West Coast so you are self-isolating to some extent already.  In New York everyone commutes with public transit and people live and work in closer quarters.  Plus now we know that the virus was circulating much earlier than anyone suspected.

Cuomo certainly didn't have "intelligence" briefings as did Trump and the federal government who instead of warning him and other governors were telling everyone not to worry that everything was under control.  Maybe his biggest mistake was taking the President of the Unties States at his word.  Think about that!

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

In New York everyone commutes with public transit and people live and work in closer quarters.

Since Cuomo knew the above he should have put in stay-at-home orders prior to the CA Governor.     As you note CA is different E.g.  more spread out (even Los Angeles).   CA's Governor knew this but still put in place stay-at-home orders prior to the State of NY.   

Cuomo made mistakes.     Oh,  and if Cuomo listen to our believe Trump and his admin,   that makes him even a bigger fool.   Newsom knew that Trump was a serial liar,  discussed the issue with his own health care experts,  and again, took action before Cuomo.

Note that I'm not comparing Trump and his admin handling to Cuomo and his admin.     I guess those with stage 4 TDS can't understand that since everything in life resolves around Trump.   

16 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Since Cuomo knew the above he should have put in stay-at-home orders prior to the CA Governor.     As you note CA is different E.g.  more spread out (even Los Angeles).   CA's Governor knew this but still put in place stay-at-home orders prior to the State of NY.   

Cuomo made mistakes.     Oh,  and if Cuomo listen to our believe Trump and his admin,   that makes him even a bigger fool.   Newsom knew that Trump was a serial liar,  discussed the issue with his own health care experts,  and again, took action before Cuomo.

Note that I'm not comparing Trump and his admin handling to Cuomo and his admin.     I guess those with stage 4 TDS can't understand that since everything in life resolves around Trump.   

I don't think I have ever heard Cuomo say that he would give himself a 10 out of 10 for the way he handled this.  He has said that if anyone can tell you where this is going they would be lying.

I was just trying to lay out some differences between the situations in California and New York.   California was the first State to issue the order and as far as I can tell  it was on March 20.  So right away you are comparing New York to the very best.  Even England was a bit later.  When I googled the start date of New York's Stay at Home order it was also on March 20.

The best response that I have heard so far came from the Greek Prime Minister Mitsokakis.  They have now suffered 165 deaths in total.  He said "we could have done some things better."

48 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

I don't think I have ever heard Cuomo say that he would give himself a 10 out of 10 for the way he handled this.  He has said that if anyone can tell you where this is going they would be lying.

I was just trying to lay out some differences between the situations in California and New York.   California was the first State to issue the order and as far as I can tell  it was on March 20.  So right away you are comparing New York to the very best.  Even England was a bit later.  When I googled the start date of New York's Stay at Home order it was also on March 20.

The best response that I have heard so far came from the Greek Prime Minister Mitsokakis.  They have now suffered 165 deaths in total.  He said "we could have done some things better."

Thanks for the reply.   I believe we have a common understanding;  If I implied that Cuomo as a Governor was one was the worst of the bunch (and I can see how that could be assumed),   that was my error.    Cuomo showed much more leadership than most of the GOP Governors and,  NY and especially NYC, was going to be a hot-spot that no leader could have anticipated or addressed.       Maybe being in CA,    and especially the county of Orange,  with over 3 million residences,   < 5,000 confirmed cases  and < 100 deaths,  has made me too much of a Newsom 'homer'.       

20 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I don't know why I even try,  but I'm going to do so,  yet again;

Why are you cutting Cuomo 'slack' and NOT Trump?     Partisan politics?

If NOT,  what is the reason?  

The reason being that Cuomo, like many other governors, both democrat and republican, weren't given much information or assistance from the Trump administration, which if you recall, didn't give much credence to a "threat" of a pandemic, when it finally proved to be as dangerous as the Trump white house had been warned it would be.  And Cuomo, along with all other governors(from both "sides") had to struggle unaided and with very little dependable information to go on.  And too, since the OP here gave no info on the source of his posted information,  I have to consider it dubiously.  And actually....

You make it seem like you're upset that I DIDN'T cut Trump any slack.  If so....then WHY?  ;) 

Sepiatone

One of the reasons why Cuomo and other Governors have high approval ratings about their response to the virus irregardless of their success ratio  is that the people can see that they are sincerely working very hard each and every day.  The same cannot be said for Donald Trump who prefers to sweep the problem under the carpet and declare victory.

• Thanks 1

And I'll overlook the "irregardless" gaffe.  ;) 

Sepiatone