Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
jakeem

"The Right Stuff" figure Annie Glenn (1920-2020)

Annie Glenn, who was married to the heroic American astronaut (and eventual United States Senator) John H. Glenn, Jr., died Tuesday at the age of 100. She succumbed to complications from the coronavirus at a nursing home in St .Paul, Minnesota.

See the source image

As the spouse of one of America's original seven astronauts, Mrs. Glenn became almost as famous as her husband. In 1959, the wives were profiled in a Life magazine cover story that ran one week after the publication's coverage of the men of Project Mercury. Pictured from the top row: Jo Schirra (left) and Louise Shepard; middle row, from left Mrs. Glenn, Rene Carpenter, and Marjorie Slayton; bottom row, Trudy Cooper (left) and Betty Grissom. As a result of Mrs. Glenn's death, Rene Carpenter, who divorced astronaut M. Scott Carpenter in 1972, has become the last surviving Mercury Seven wife.

See the source image

Mrs. Glenn struggled for most of her life with a stuttering problem, which caused her to shy away from attention. Her predicament was depicted in the acclaimed 1983 motion picture version of "The Right Stuff," based on the non-fiction book by Tom Wolfe. In the film, Mary Jo Deschanel (wife of the veteran cinematographer Caleb Deschanel and mother of the actresses Emily and Zooey Deschanel) portrayed Mrs. Glenn. In a memorable scene set on the day of Glenn's historic February 1962  orbital flight, the astronaut (Ed Harris) receives a frantic call from his wife. Mrs. Glenn is terrified because Vice President Lyndon B. Johnson (Donald Moffat) wants to visit the family residence with the news media in tow.

In the 2015 ABC television miniseries "Astronaut Wives' Club," Azure Parsons and the Australian actor Sam Reid portrayed the Glenns. The drama was based on Lily Koppel's 2013 book about the women behind the men of the Mercury program.

blogs_tv_ontv_072315~0.jpg

Mrs. Glenn eventually learned to control her stuttering problem and became an advocate and educator in communication disorders. She continued to support her husband when he served in the U.S. Senate as a Democrat from Ohio (1974-1999). She also saw him return to the space program when he flew on the Space Shuttle Discovery in 1998 at the age of 77. He was the last surviving Mercury astronaut when he died on December 8, 2016 at 95.

See the source image

Al_Hunt-740140_bigger.jpg
RIP: Annie Glenn passed away @ 100 today. The wife of national icon, Sen. John Glenn --they were childhood sweethearts married for 70 years --Annie overcame severe stuttering and helped others, including our son Jeffrey after he was injured. Never knew a more gracious person.

10:50 AM · May 19, 2020·Twitter Web App
In honor of the life of Annie Glenn, I have ordered that U.S. and Ohio flags be flown at half-staff upon all public buildings and grounds throughout Muskingum County, and at the Ohio Statehouse, Vern Riffe Center, and Rhodes Tower until sunset on the day of her memorial service.

12:19 PM · May 19, 2020·TweetDeck

iY0Z83Dr_bigger.jpg

Annie Glenn’s courage inspired so many throughout her life, as did her kind, compassionate voice for the elderly and people with disabilities. My full statement on her passing here: https://wjcf.co/2Zj9lJv

9:50 PM · May 19, 2020·Twitter for iPhone

j7dTMGmf_bigger.jpg

My heart is breaking. Annie Glenn was my mentor, and my beloved friend. She was also a hero in her own right. Struggling right now for the words, but I will find them.

10:07 AM · May 19, 2020 from Cleveland, OH·Twitter for iPhone
Replying to

Working for John Glenn as a campaign consultant when he ran for re-election to the Senate was an honor and a privilege. Knowing Annie Glenn was an inspiration and a delight.

10:12 AM · May 19, 2020·Twitter for iPad

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

The Right Stuff is a fantastic movie. There are many wonderful vignettes like the one depicted in the clip above. I must admit, I didn't know Mrs. Glenn was still living, but this very human portrayal by Mary Jo Deschanel (who went on to play Eileen Hayward on Twin Peaks) memorably drew her to my attention.

• Like 1

The original 7 Mercury astronauts and their wives will continue to increase in prestige.  They are strong brave people who will always be admired.  The Mercury, Gemini and Apollo astronauts are heroes to my generation. 

• Like 2

hearing of her passing today it was said the Glenns didn't like that movie. back in 1983 John Glenn seemed very cool torwards the film.

I like it...

GLADIOLAS!

isn't there anybody who can deal with a housewife?!

After Bryan Cranston, the 5 best portrayals of LBJ | Star Tribune

The Right Stuff showed us that composer Bill Conti has the right stuff.

alotta people wanted to write bill conti off after his score to the seduction of joe tynan but he showed um.

:)

22 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

The Right Stuff showed us that composer Bill Conti has the right stuff.

alotta people wanted to write bill conti off after his score to the seduction of joe tynan but he showed um.

:)

Before "The Seduction of Joe Tynan," Conti composed the score for "Rocky" and was Oscar nominated for the song "Gonna Fly Now." Two years after "Joe Tynan," he did the music for the James Bond thriller "For Your Eyes Only."  He received another Oscar nomination for the song, which was performed in the movie by Sheena Easton.

That opening number was about the most awesome thing in the world as far as I was concerned when I was in seventh grade.

• Haha 1