Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Hibi

BAD MOVIE ALERT!!! - THE LEGEND OF LYLAH CLARE

Today (FRI) at 5:30PM!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Oh, Hibi, you are so right. Dialogue as rotten as this cannot be found every day!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

It's unforgettable..... The Barkwell dog food commercial, the thick German accent that comes and goes at whim, the catty scenes involving Coral Browne..... 

It really takes talent to make a bad movie on this scale.........

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Heh I tuned in just in time to catch Kim Novak taking her top off & thought wow- perfect timing. After watching another 10 minutes I started wondering what the fuss over this movie was about-obviously the fuss was about how bad a movie it is. Kim's naked back turned out to be the highlight.

• Haha 2

Kim was still a knockout when this film was made but whenever that demonic voice came out of her I kept thinking they could have used her in The Exorcist.

• Haha 3

A filmmaker manipulates a starlet into the image of his late wife, a celebrated actress who met a tragic death.

Now....WHERE have I heard of a similar plot to this?   Could it have been in yet ANOTHER Kim Novak movie?  :wacko:  :D 

Sepiatone

14 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

A filmmaker manipulates a starlet into the image of his late wife, a celebrated actress who met a tragic death.

Now....WHERE have I heard of a similar plot to this?   Could it have been in yet ANOTHER Kim Novak movie?  :wacko:  :D 

Sepiatone

I knew I had seen her bare back before somewhere.

5 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Heh I tuned in just in time to catch Kim Novak taking her top off & thought wow- perfect timing. After watching another 10 minutes I started wondering what the fuss over this movie was about-obviously the fuss was about how bad a movie it is. Kim's naked back turned out to be the highlight.

LYLAH CLARE is a rare case where you CANNOT, and I mean literally LITERALLY, *CAN NOT* OVERSTATE HOW BAD IT IS. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

LYLAH CLARE is a rare case where you CANNOT, and I mean literally LITERALLY, *CAN NOT* OVERSTATE HOW BAD IT IS. 

I think it's the combination of artiness, pretentiousness, and druggy incoherence that makes Lylah so special. I mean, usually bad dialogue is just a string of cliches, but here someone or some committee of writers has carefully crafted these lines believing them to be high art, though the result is something else entirely.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I think THE OSCAR (1966) has a campy sort of 'feel' to it with Stephen Boyd as 'Frankie Faine'. 

THE LEGEND OF LYLAH CLARE and THE OSCAR would make a dandy Double-Feature!  :)

• Like 2

I *Do* wish there were more movies where the lead female character is suddenly and inexplicably dubbed at moments by a gravel-voiced, chain-smoking Berlin hausfrau. 
It’s a shame that trend died with this movie.

• Haha 4

9 hours ago, TomJH said:

Kim was still a knockout when this film was made but whenever that demonic voice came out of her I kept thinking they could have used her in The Exorcist.

I've always wondered if her German clone voice was dubbed or that was really Kim....

37 minutes ago, Hibi said:

I've always wondered if her German clone voice was dubbed or that was really Kim....

It was dubbed. I believe Novak herself said that at some point. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CinemaInternational said:

Yeah, and I think her story is that Aldrich told her all along that he would use her voice and she found out at the premiere or something like that that he went with MARLENE DIETRICH’s older sister- who (to be fair) needed the money to pay for her iron lung. 
(joking on the last two)

• Haha 3

I wonder what the actress who did the dubbing looked like in real life though...

(I’m thinking an even more butch version of RACHEL ROBERTS in MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS...)

8 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Sepiatone

Another crappy Novak movie, I presume.

(Vertigo is one of my least favorite Hitchcock movies.)

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

Yes, that's what I figured. It was so jarring, the change in her voice. So bad.

1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I wonder what the actress who did the dubbing looked like in real life though...

(I’m thinking an even more butch version of RACHEL ROBERTS in MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS...)

LOL! Wouldn't surprise me! (Rachel Roberts)

8 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Not even entertainingly bad. Only Borgnine provides some comic relief. (Non-stop shouting!) It's too bad, with a better script, it could've been good.

8 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

I knew I had seen her bare back before somewhere.

Kim displayed her bare back quite a bit in the 60s (Notorious Landlady; Of Human Bondage; this film.....)

5 hours ago, Mr. Gorman said:

I think THE OSCAR (1966) has a campy sort of 'feel' to it with Stephen Boyd as 'Frankie Faine'. 

THE LEGEND OF LYLAH CLARE and THE OSCAR would make a dandy Double-Feature!  :)

The Oscar at least is somewhat campy. (I remember Jill St. John's cat dance. LOL) Too bad it's Paramount. Dont think TCM has aired it in many years...

4 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I *Do* wish there were more movies where the lead female character is suddenly and inexplicably dubbed at moments by a gravel-voiced, chain-smoking Berlin hausfrau. 
It’s a shame that trend died with this movie.

I believe it was widely recognized that this was the technological, cultural and artistic epitome of the effect. No other moviemaker could possibly hope to capture its innate grotesque whimsy so well and so they did not even try.

I actually like the movie and I make no apology for doing so. It has an honesty and simplicity that more refined movies lack.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1