Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hibi

BAD MOVIE ALERT!!! - THE LEGEND OF LYLAH CLARE

♣ THINGS ♣

I was thinking of bad movies I've seen from the late '60s and this cinematic monstrosity popped back in to my head.  I'd seen this movie years ago when I bought the Paragon VHS tape.  It's called SCRATCH HARRY (1969-UK) or THE EROTIC THREE (depending on what country you reside in).  It's awful under any title.  Pretentious, arty swill that's about as entertaining as watch cars rust.  It's psychedelic, man.  And there's this dude.  And there's these chicks.  And there's this beatnik guy overlooking the movie wearing shades.  The plot?  Huh?  Did you say 'plot'?  Surely you jest!  A groovy chick is killed by the dude.  The dude's wife.  I think.  Man that's heavy.  And she is buried.  But is she really dead?  And is it worth wasting your time watching this swill to find out?  NO!  (I did.  Once.  It wasn't worth it.  I traded the tape).  My verdict upon viewing this all those years ago was such that if one wants to punish themselves by watching un-interesting garbage this is the film for you!  :)  

Here's a 1968 Italian comedy for sale on eBay for $89.99 right now.  Price reduced from $119.99!  Has anyone seen and/or heard of this movie:  CATCH AS CATCH CAN.  Starring Vittorio Gassman, Martha Hyer, Gila Golan.  On CHARTER Entertainment.  (I don't think this movie is on DVD or it wouldn't be priced so high).  Check out the listing if you have a spare moment.  The tagline on the back of the box offers up this nugget of plot information: 

"HIS CAREER IS AT THE MERCY OF VINDICTIVE BEASTS".  

Apparently the animal kingdom has turned against male model Vittorio.  There's a large parrot on the box cover biting his finger and bees swarming around him.  If this movie was a lot cheaper I'd buy the darn thing and see how good or bad it is.  :P

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SansFin said:

I believe it was widely recognized that this was the technological, cultural and artistic epitome of the effect. No other moviemaker could possibly hope to capture its innate grotesque whimsy so well and so they did not even try.

I actually like the movie and I make no apology for doing so. It has an honesty and simplicity that more refined movies lack.

I sort of agree with you, SansFin.  It may not have registered with a lot of movie-goers, but I think it's better than 'God-awful' as far as entertainment goes.  In some respects, the change that comes over Kim Novak's character when she transitions from Ilsa to Lyla reminds me a little of what happened to Lew Ayres in "Donovan's Brain", which I'm sure many posters here would rate on the same level or slightly a cut above "The Legend of Lyla Clare"!  Oh well, to each their own...😐

• Like 1

19 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I wonder what the actress who did the dubbing looked like in real life though...

(I’m thinking an even more butch version of RACHEL ROBERTS in MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS...)

Nope, she wasn't Lorna. 

According to the Wiki page for this film, Kim's voice in those scenes was dubbed by German actress Hildegarde Neff...

bcf4197284383c110f6f9d600afe85f3.jpg

...and who as you might know also performed in quite a few Hollywood movies as well over her career.

(...and something I just discovered about her was that in 1955 she originated the role of Ninotchka on Broadway in the Cole Porter stage musical "Silk Stockings" that a few years later would star Cyd Charisse and Fred Astaire in the movie version)

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Hibi said:

The Oscar at least is somewhat campy. (I remember Jill St. John's cat dance. LOL) Too bad it's Paramount. Dont think TCM has aired it in many years...

It aired a few years ago, in 2013, during Eleanor Parker's time as SOTM. I remember because I thought the film was so unpalatable,  I abandoned it. And this is coming from someone who saw all of Lylah Clare......

• Thanks 1

And maybe it was just me, but bad German dubbing aside, I really think that Kim Novak's work in the film is pretty good, or at least better than one would expect. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dargo said:

According to the Wiki page for this film, Kim's voice in those scenes was dubbed by German actress Hildegarde Neff...

Wife of Eliot Neff of "The Untouchables".

• Haha 2

She was a heavy smoker so her voice sounding the way it did was not surprising.  Perfect for dubbing Kim Novak in LYLAH CLARE.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

It aired a few years ago, in 2013, during Eleanor Parker's time as SOTM. I remember because I thought the film was so unpalatable,  I abandoned it. And this is coming from someone who saw all of Lylah Clare......

I guess I missed it then.

9 hours ago, Dargo said:

Nope, she wasn't Lorna. 

bcf4197284383c110f6f9d600afe85f3.jpg

...and who as you might know also performed in quite a few Hollywood movies as well over her career.

(...and something I just discovered about her was that in 1955 she originated the role of Ninotchka on Broadway in the Cole Porter stage musical "Silk Stockings" that a few years later would star Cyd Charisse and Fred Astaire in the movie version)

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I thought the voice sounded familiar! I was going to suggest Knef (German spelling) but thought it impossible!

She starred in another version of the story in Billy Wilder's Fedora...

9 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I AM FLOORED!!!!

(Thanks)

I had an inkling it might be her!

5 hours ago, Fedya said:

Wife of Eliot Neff of "The Untouchables".

So how long have you had the stuffy nose here,  Fedya?

;)

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Hibi said:

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I thought the voice sounded familiar! I was going to suggest Knef (German spelling) but thought it impossible!

Another film she's in fairly early in her English language film career is one of my all-time favorites. In it she plays a German woman who has married a British soldier in postwar Berlin, and who the visiting sister of the British soldier played by a young Claire Bloom finds Hilde might have a little bit of history with a rather mysterious man played by James Mason.

The film is 1953's The Man Between.

(..another European postwar themed film directed by Carol Reed with a similar vibe to his earlier The Third Man , and highly recommended if you've never seen it)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dargo said:

So how long have you had the stuffy nose here,  Fedya?

;)

Walter and Hildegard Neff:

double-indemnity-1944-002-barbara-stanwy

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

And maybe it was just me, but bad German dubbing aside, I really think that Kim Novak's work in the film is pretty good, or at least better than one would expect. 

You have Stockholm Syndrome on this.

At best, Kim does a serviceable Nearer My God to Thee on clarinet as the water comes pouring in over the stern,

I mean, she saw it all the way through to the end, so there is something to be said for that, but honestly- and I apologize if I am being mean, but what with having life in general  so out of whack, I've lost my gauge- KIM NOVAK bores me as an actress AND her films by and large bore me too, I EVEN have mixed feelings on VERTIGO (and the EYEBROWS) and I think a good deal of her luster and TCM airplay comes from her still being "with us" in the mortal coil in the present day, but OH MY GOD SHE IS NUTS IN REAL LIFE.

i mean really, genuinely, having tea with ANNE HECHE, Starlina and XENU  in a field outside FRESNO level BANANAS.

Although, that takes us back to LYLAH CLARE- I say this with tongue not entirely in cheek- I think filming LYLAH CLARE messed her up in the head, like seriously.

For life.

Kim Novak has a touch of film immortality thanks to Vertigo. The film's memorable climax in which, at first frightened of Scotty after he has dragged her up the stairs, she then relents after he expresses the love he had had for her and moves in for a final embrace is one of the indelible moments of the movies, at least, for me. Novak brings a touching vulnerability to the scene as an ironic fate in the form of a phantom-like figure moves in upon her.

A Vertigo in a career more than compensates for a Lylah Claire.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Dargo said:

Another film she's in fairly early in her English language film career is one of my all-time favorites. In it she plays a German woman who has married a British soldier in postwar Berlin, and who the visiting sister of the British soldier played by a young Claire Bloom finds Hilde might have a little bit of history with a rather mysterious man played by James Mason.

The film is 1953's The Man Between.

(..another European postwar themed film directed by Carol Reed with a similar vibe to his earlier The Third Man , and highly recommended if you've never seen it)

Yes, I like that film. Knef was also an author and successful singer (in Germany). Her memoirs, The Gift Horse, was an international best seller (in the U.S. too) in the 1970s.  She wrote a follow up of sorts called The Verdict.

• Like 1

Hildegard Knef, billed as Hildegarde Neff, also starred in Decision Before Dawn, where she gives a terrific performance as the woman Oskar Werner meets on his mission through the ruins of Germany. According to imdb, the studio was going to mount a best supporting actress campaign for her but backed away because of rumors about her having an affair with a Nazi officer during WWII. IIRC, during her singing career she was billed as "the incomparable Hildegarde."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/25/2020 at 1:00 AM, Hibi said:

That she did, and I thought that film was wonderful. Criminally neglected to boot.

5 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

That she did, and I thought that film was wonderful. Criminally neglected to boot.

Great title...

Although nowadays a movie called FEDORA  would Have to be about something else entirely.

3 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I’M IN LOVE! 

Uh-huh, and THEN an octave or two HIGHER you have...

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

Amazing how people can see the same film and come away with different impressions. I found Fedora disappointing, especially considering the talent involved. It's a challenge for me to get into a film when I don't care about any of the characters.