Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hibi

BAD MOVIE ALERT!!! - THE LEGEND OF LYLAH CLARE

10 hours ago, Mr. Gorman said:

You've got a get a haircut eventually, Lorna.  May as well do it more sooner than later.   I got a haircut 2 weeks ago because it was starting to aggravate me.  I'm glad I have a full head of hair, but I didn't want to let it grow too long.   

things are complicated by the fact that i am around my parents- who need me- all the time and my dad is 77 and mother is 76 and they've had multiple health issues (rhuematoid arthritis and cancer)- so I just can't take the risk for the foreseeable future.

Plus, to be honest, I may as well do something mid-life crisisy and grow my hair out while i still got it (and no grays!) , need to spice things up somehow...

ALTHOUGH, I NOTE that in my younger days when I tried to grow it out with the intent of having it look like this:

e15898728a3c7bb5a30ec3ed408a9fed.jpg

instead, it usually ended up looking more like this:

OIP.7MF8iveHoAyzArvS9AWPFAHaFF?pid=Api&r

• Haha 2

People should take up gardening. Get outside. Works for me! Seeing roses in bloom is great therapy.

On 6/10/2020 at 12:14 PM, LornaHansonForbes said:

I think it is reasonable to say that DIANE LADD would absolutely hove won the OSCAR if not for those TWO SCENES IN RAMBLING ROSE that did not even involve her.

i came across a link on another website to something that Entertainment Weekly used to do before the Oscars, looking at the competitions in all six of the major races, by employing a plus and minus system. Pluses for the prestige of the performers or the praise given to the performances already, minuses for other issues such as lack of film quality or box office underperformance or personal issues. Ladd was indeed ranked second, behind ultimate winner Mercedes Ruehl.

The ultimate points given in the article to each contender was as follows:

Mercedes Ruehl/The Fisher King --55 points
Diane Ladd/Rambling Rose -- 50 points
Jessica Tandy/Fried Green Tomatoes -- 45 points
Kate Nelligan/The Prince of Tides -- 30 points
Juliette Lewis/Cape Fear -- (brace yourself) -20 points

• Thanks 3

Thank goodness that haircut places are open here again. i hadn't had one for a few weeks when the lockdown started, so it got a bit long until I decided to try my hand at a self-haircut with a pair of scissors. Didn't work out too well, very patchy with some bald spots. A trimmer bought at Walmart made things easier unti they reopened.

10 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

Thank goodness that haircut places are open here again. i hadn't had one for a few weeks when the lockdown started, so it got a bit long until I decided to try my hand at a self-haircut with a pair of scissors. Didn't work out too well, very patchy with some bald spots. A trimmer bought at Walmart made things easier unti they reopened.

My husband ended up looking like Charlton Heston's Moses, with a little less gray.  He finally got it cut last week. 

Moses: the untold truth

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I’m starting to get a ducktail For the first time since I was in high school. I look like one of those middle-aged actors they got for those 1950s juvenile delinquents shorts.

(Please tell me I’m not the only one who knows what a ducktail is)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I’m starting to get a ducktail For the first time since I was in high school. I look like one of those middle-aged actors they got for those 1950s juvenile delinquents shorts.

(Please tell me I’m not the only one who knows what a ducktail is)

LOL. I'm old enough to know!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

A woman we know had tried trimming her hair during the quarantine. When she finally got to the salon, the stylist said, "Were you taking samples for DNA testing?"

• Like 1

21 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

i came across a link on another website to something that Entertainment Weekly used to do before the Oscars, looking at the competitions in all six of the major races, by employing a plus and minus system. Pluses for the prestige of the performers or the praise given to the performances already, minuses for other issues such as lack of film quality or box office underperformance or personal issues. Ladd was indeed ranked second, behind ultimate winner Mercedes Ruehl.

The ultimate points given in the article to each contender was as follows:

Mercedes Ruehl/The Fisher King --55 points
Diane Ladd/Rambling Rose -- 50 points
Jessica Tandy/Fried Green Tomatoes -- 45 points
Kate Nelligan/The Prince of Tides -- 30 points
Juliette Lewis/Cape Fear -- (brace yourself) -20 points

THE OSCAR ODDS ISSUE used to be my favorite OF THE YEAR...In later years they switched to a horse-race type scenario which used even, 2-1, 6-1 and so on oddS for winning and I was irate.

I don't think I have picked up an ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY in at least 10 years.

ps- even at age 12 and with only a novice understanding of what great film acting was, I DISTINCTLY recall being very "W T F ?????" in re: JULIETTE LEWIS'S nomination for CAPE FEAR.

PSS- CURIOUS, in the BEST ACTRESS RACE, do they mention anything about THOSE TWO SCENES in RAMBLING ROSE and deduct points for them? Seriously, if the film had had a rewrite to not be SO FILTHY and unsettling, both Ladd and Laura Dern could have won (JODIE FOSTER only managed to sneak win #2 in because no one could decide bwtween SARANDON and DAVIS (nor should they have)- IMO).

56 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

THE OSCAR ODDS ISSUE used to be my favorite OF THE YEAR...In later years they switched to a horse-race type scenario which used even, 2-1, 6-1 and so on oddS for winning and I was irate.

I don't think I have picked up an ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY in at least 10 years.

ps- even at age 12 and with only a novice understanding of what great film acting was, I DISTINCTLY recall being very "W T F ?????" in re: JULIETTE LEWIS'S nomination for CAPE FEAR.

PSS- CURIOUS, in the BEST ACTRESS RACE, do they mention anything about THOSE TWO SCENES in RAMBLING ROSE and deduct points for them? Seriously, if the film had had a rewrite to not be SO FILTHY and unsettling, both Ladd and Laura Dern could have won (JODIE FOSTER only managed to sneak win #2 in because no one could decide bwtween SARANDON and DAVIS (nor should they have)- IMO).

They didn't mention those scenes, but i do think they must have been a huge drawback. I can see older Academy voters still alive at the time like Katharine Hepburn or Ginger Rogers being truly appalled by them. The odds on the Best Actress race actually had Sarandon being slightly ahead of Foster, so that must have been a tight race. Dern was third, Davis was 4th, and Midler was last. That said though, I really think that Dern probably placed fifth in the actual voting, because, Midler's film and performance , unfortunate box office fiasco that it was [truly a shame because i think it was Midler's best performance and the film, makeup aside, was really good], was much more traditional Oscar material and a heck of a lot less controversial. 

Juliette Lewis was one of four top category contenders in 1991 that saw negative point totals, along with fellow Cape Fear performer Robert De Niro, and directing nominees John Singleton and Ridley Scott.

Lewis's nomination is honestly one of the worst acting nominations I have ever seen ( I feel bad saying it, because I don't like to speak bad of people, and also because Lewis was so good in Husbands and Wives the following year), there were a lot of better performances in 1991 (and yes some in definitely un-Oscar type films) that could have filled that slot, among them:
Judy Davis in Barton Fink
Angela Bassett in Boyz N the Hood
Lee Grant in Defending Your life
Elizabeth Perkins in The Doctor
Amanda Plummer in The Fisher King
Kathy Bates in Fried Green Tomatoes
Mary McDonnell & Mary louise Parker in Grand Canyon
Patricia Wettig in Guilty by Suspicion
Emma Thompson in Impromptu
Sissy Spacek in JFK
Lonette McKee & Ruby Dee in Jungle Fever
Sarah Jessica Parker in LA Story
Lesley Ann Warren in Life Stinks
Dianne Wiest in Little man Tate
Tess Harper in The Man in the Moon
Jaime Lee Curtis in My Girl
Gena Rowlands in Once Around
Maureen O'Hara in Only the Lonely
Blythe Danner in The Prince of Tides
Brooke Smith & Diane Baker in The Silence of the Lambs
Cathy Moriarty, Whoopi Goldberg, & Elisabeth Shue in Soapdish
Shelley Winters in Stepping Out

.... and yes, even Jessica Lange in Cape Fear.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CinemaInternational said:

Lewis's nomination is honestly one of the worst acting nominations I have ever seen ( I feel bad saying it, because I don't like to speak bad of people, and also because Lewis was so good in Husbands and Wives the following year), there were a lot of better performances in 1991 (and yes some in definitely un-Oscar type films) that could have filled that slot, among them:
...  even Jessica Lange in Cape Fear.

1. let-the-hate-flow-through-you-emperor-pa

and

2. The last time I saw the CAPE FEAR REMAKE I came away thinking JESSICA LANGE and FREDDIE FRANCIS'S PHOTOGRAPHY (which did get nommed, I think) were the two BEST THINGS in it...I also do think the script is very clever.

FOR THE BOYS was, like THE ROSE, also directed by MARK RYDELL and, like THE ROSE, it gets  a little too sadistic with its treatment of its main character and, like THE ROSE, it goes on for about 20 minutes too long.

truly and genuinely, if they had rewritten and shortened the FOR THE BOYS script to make it a cheaper movie to film (still kept some of the crowd scenes though, but made it more intimate character study) , they would also (I think) have made a better one too.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

The last time I saw the CAPE FEAR REMAKE I came away thinking JESSICA LANGE and FREDDIE FRANCIS'S PHOTOGRAPHY (which did get nommed, I think) were the two BEST THINGS in it...I also do think the script is very clever.

The only things I liked about Cape Fear were Lange, Nolte [still better in The Prince of Tides though], the cinematography, and the chance to briefly see Mitchum and Peck again, however briefly. 

Freddie Francis's work though wasn't up for an Oscar. The cinematography lineup of 1991 was:
Bugsy
JFK
The Prince of Tides
Terminator II: Judgment Day
Thelma and Louise

Of those five, I think that prince of Tides and Thelma and Louise were the most visually striking.

13 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

1. let-the-hate-flow-through-you-emperor-pa

To get it out of the system, my five least favorite performances ever nominated in all 4 of the acting categories.... and apologies to these people who are usually good, its just that most of these performances are in lousy movies that they just can't resuscitate, but there are a few here who drag down good ones a peg or two.

Actor
George Arliss/The Green Goddess (1930)
Leonardo DiCaprio/The Revenant (2015)
Robert De Niro/Cape Fear (1991)
Viggo Mortensen/Captain Fantastic (2016)
John Travolta/Saturday Night Fever (1977)

Actress
Marie-Christine Barrault/Cousin Cousine (1976)
Ali McGraw/Love Story (1970)
OK, I can';t think of any more here. Even ones saddled with bizarre films (Chocolat, Monster's Ball) still do the best they can with the material they are given.

Supporting Actor
Tom Hardy/The Revenant (2015)
John Hurt/Midnight Express (1978)
Don Murray/Bus Stop (1956)
Akim Tamiroff/The General Died at Dawn (1936)
Burt Young/Rocky (1976)

Supporting Actress
Brenda Blethyn/Little Voice (1998)
Mary J. Blige/Mudbound (2017) (not bad, just unmemorable)
Candy Clark/American Graffiti (1973)
Juliette Lewis/Cape Fear (1991)
Amy Madigan/Twice in a Lifetime (1985)

I could have *sworn* FREDDIE FRANCIS got a nom for CAPE FEAR. (I’m a big HAMMER HORROR FAN)

5 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I could have *sworn* FREDDIE FRANCIS got a nom for CAPE FEAR. (I’m a big HAMMER HORROR FAN)

He did win for Glory around that time. (He had also won for Sons and Lovers in the early 60s) He also should have been nominated for The innocents in 1961, The French Lieutenant's Woman in 1981 and The Straight Story in 1999. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

He did win for Glory around that time. (He had also won for Sons and Lovers in the early 60s) He also should have been nominated for The innocents in 1961, The French Lieutenant's Woman in 1981 and The Straight Story in 1999. 

AH! THATS WHAT IT WAS!

I was confusing his nomination/win for GLORY  as being for CAPE FEAR. 
For many years I kept my copy of INSIDE OSCAR on the toilet tank and would peruse it often. Unfortunately the spine broke and it fell apart completely.

(The book, not my toilet)

• Like 1

The Cinematography and the sound  recording in THE INNOCENTS  Should have both been nominated.

(DEBORAH KERR too)

• Like 3

What's also surprising about these old Entertainment Weekly chances is that they severely underestimated the chances of at least one ultimate winner: Kathy Bates was ranked fourth in chances for her ultimately winning performance in Misery.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

What's also surprising about these old Entertainment Weekly chances is that they severely underestimated the chances of at least one ultimate winner: Kathy Bates was ranked fourth in chances for her ultimately winning performance in Misery.

To be fair that was a pretty big upset, it probably doesn’t get talked about more because it was a somewhat weak field.

Did they think Anjelica Huston was going to get it?

1 minute ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

To be fair that was a pretty big upset, it probably doesn’t get talked about more because it was a somewhat weak field.

Did they think Anjelica Huston was going to get it?

Joanne Woodward was barely in front (53 points). Julia Roberts in second (51 points) Huston third (46 points) Bates fourth with 43. And Meryl Streep a distant 5th with 11.

Other unnominated performances of note that yere: Tamlyn Tomita (Come See the Paradise), Susan Sarandon (White Palace), Michelle Pfeiffer (The Russia House), Juliet Stevenson (Truly Madly Deeply)

• Thanks 1