Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Walter L.

Wonder Woman/Funny Girl-Lady?

Watching the later part of FUNNY GIRL on TCM tonight, after it ended, the TVM host was talking with a woman connected with the forthcoming WONDER WOMAN 1984. Was it the director, Patty Jenkins, of Gal Had it, playing the Amazing Amazon in the DC Comics franchise? I suppose the former.

Interesting to see a modern-times movie promoted on TCM, and not one that might be seen as an " older audience-oriented " flick, but a " younger audience-oriented " " summer blockbuster" that is a super-hero film!!!!!!!!! The WW film's have gotten may be a little more " adult-friendly " promotion, with a female protagonist and a publicized " mote upbeat, optimistic " than that first wave of the DC Extended Universe series.

...Roddy MacDowall's character is off-handedly (I presume he was a real person?) referred to as a " pansy ". Is this the only time he played a character who was in-story stated to be gay?

I didn't stay up that late (so I didn't see the conversation you're talking about), but I presume you mean the sequel Funny Lady, which I think aired after, and not Funny Girl, as MacDowall wasn't in the original. It's the only gay character I specifically remember him playing, but there are probably a lot of his films I haven't seen.

This is not the first time TCM has tied in its programming to a movie or some other product presently in release. I think they showed all the previous versions of the A Star is Born movies at the same time the newest version was in the theaters, for example. Looks like they planned this particular tie-in before they new COVID-19 would push back the film's release date.

1 hour ago, sewhite2000 said:

I didn't stay up that late (so I didn't see the conversation you're talking about), but I presume you mean the sequel Funny Lady, which I think aired after, and not Funny Girl, as MacDowall wasn't in the original. It's the only gay character I specifically remember him playing, but there are probably a lot of his films I haven't seen.

This is not the first time TCM has tied in its programming to a movie or some other product presently in release. I think they showed all the previous versions of the A Star is Born movies at the same time the newest version was in the theaters, for example. Looks like they planned this particular tie-in before they new COVID-19 would push back the film's release date.

I don't recall if his character in It's My Party (1996) was identified as gay or not, but most of the characters in that film are.  The film is a semi-autobiographical project of Randal Kleiser (who directed Grease). 

And both 2018's A Star is Born, and WW 1984 are Warner Bros. films.  So no surprise about the tie-ins on TCM.  I've seen more TCM ads lately on other AT&T/Warner channels like CNN and TNT or TBS, where in the past, you'd hardly ever see them advertise TCM on other networks.  Likewise, I keep getting HBOMax ads on tcm.com's main page.

• Thanks 1

For the "Wonder Women" primetime theme yesterday evening, Alicia Malone discussed the films with fellow TCM host Jacqueline Stewart.  That would have been exciting if somehow they could have had Wonder Woman star Gal Gadot participate.

It's also too bad the whole Wonder Women tie-in is now somewhat premature, since the release of the film Wonder Woman 1984 has currently been pushed back to August 12.  The best-laid marketing plans...

What does wonder woman have to do with the Streisand films? I don't get the connection.

29 minutes ago, UMO1982 said:

What does wonder woman have to do with the Streisand films? I don't get the connection.

One of the themes of the month is "Real-Life Wonder Women". Last night was devoted to singers or women in show business, so there was Tex Guinan, Billie Holiday and two movies about Fanny Brice.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

One of the themes of the month is "Real-Life Wonder Women". Last night was devoted to singers or women in show business, so there was Tex Guinan, Billie Holiday and two movies about Fanny Brice.

My initial reaction was 'this is lame' but I guess I should praise TCM for trying to be creative; trying something different. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, txfilmfan said:

I don't recall if his character in It's My Party (1996) was identified as gay or not, but most of the characters in that film are.  The film is a semi-autobiographical project of Randal Kleiser (who directed Grease). 

And, considering what the story was about, ohh, so THAT'S what happened to Kleiser.  Wondered why he sort of dropped off the map after Flight of the Navigator.

That would also explain why the LGBT have "adopted" Grease as one of, wink-wink "their" films, for no other immediately apparent reason.  (Claiming it's a wild parodic "hetero fantasy".)

Ever since the first Wonder Woman made money for Warner/DC and Justice League didn't, Warner's put all their DC-superhero eggs in one female-empowerment demographic basket.

And then promptly dropped it, as last February's Birds of Prey (or the Fantabulous Emancipation of Harley Quinn) left a big omelet on the sidewalk.  

9 hours ago, Walter L. said:

Watching the later part of FUNNY GIRL on TCM tonight, after it ended, the TVM host was talking with a woman connected with the forthcoming WONDER WOMAN 1984. Was it the director, Patty Jenkins, of Gal Had it, playing the Amazing Amazon in the DC Comics franchise? I suppose the former.

If it's TCM, meaning Warner, who's still house-franchise doubling down that movie theaters will be back open in time for WW84...count on it.

(BTW, is anyone getting the proverbial Really Bad Feeling about this?  The more I see of Kristen Wiig's villain, the more I'm afraid we're going to get another "Hopeless loser 'empowers' him/herself by turning science-villain" origin, like Uma Thurman in the Joel Schumacher "Batman & Robin", or--ick--Jamie Foxx in "The Amazing Spiderman 2"  🤢 .  Every time I see Wiig's character, all I can hear is Jim Carrey from the Schumacher "Batman Forever":  "...You were sup-posed to under-stand!!")

4 hours ago, txfilmfan said:

And both 2018's A Star is Born, and WW 1984 are Warner Bros. films.  So no surprise about the tie-ins on TCM.  I've seen more TCM ads lately on other AT&T/Warner channels like CNN and TNT or TBS, where in the past, you'd hardly ever see them advertise TCM on other networks.  Likewise, I keep getting HBOMax ads on tcm.com's main page.

I just set up my HBO Max account this morning on my TV.  On HBO Max app. there is an entire section dedicated to classic film.  The section is titled something to the effect of "Classic Movies: Curated by TCM."  It is a fantastic selection.  It appears to be a mix of Warner Brothers and Criterion. 

...So it was two TCM hostesses (heh) leading up to a big plug for WW84, neither Jenkins nor Gadot? Awwwwww. Would this promo ok have been set in stone/this far in advance, unable to change from its original date even when COVID forced the closing of movie theaters? Especially if it was just the two TCMs discussing it?

Incredibly NO CLASS to link these women and stars to a cartoon character. Is TCM really this desperate for income? Contractually bound to WB to shill comic book movies and try to make it looks like WOMEN POWER?

The link to the new Wonder Woman movie was probably unnecessary, but it was probably approved as a good example of synergy by the higher ups of a mega mega mega corporate enterprise. However, I'm weary with male put-down of films that assert female authority of their own destinies. It's just a spotlight of films featuring some real life women who did some amazing things given the constrictions and weight of a male-dominated society pressing down them and oppressing them at every possible opportunity. I don't see that as a bad thing. 

• Like 1

given the constrictions and weight of a male-dominated society pressing down them

BIG GIANT YAWN

13 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

The link to the new Wonder Woman movie was probably unnecessary, but it was probably approved as a good example of synergy by the higher ups of a mega mega mega corporate enterprise. However, I'm weary with male put-down of films that assert female authority of their own destinies. It's just a spotlight of films featuring some real life women who did some amazing things given the constrictions and weight of a male-dominated society pressing down them and oppressing them at every possible opportunity. I don't see that as a bad thing. 

I don't wish to make this thread political but there clearly is a political 'issue' TCM has to concern themselves with given that the vast majority of studio-era films have some degree of male-dominance.     Even the so called progressive films like Female with Ruth Chatterton have very contrived ending to ensure they didn't fall too outside (if outside at all),  the 'norms' of the times (again,  as defined by men,  for men).

Of course all networks (really almost all products today),   require 'enough' women consumers to be viable.      So for TCM to highlight actual women from prior-eras makes sense from that marketing POV.     But is TCM doing this 'too much'?      E.g.  only a few months back TCM featured progressive women;  I saw The Shocking Miss Pilgrim with Betty Grable for the first time and it was an interesting 'view' into how women were viewed in the Northeast and the women suffrage movement at the time.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, UMO1982 said:

Incredibly NO CLASS to link these women and stars to a cartoon character. Is TCM really this desperate for income? Contractually bound to WB to shill comic book movies and try to make it looks like WOMEN POWER?

Hey, Gloria Steinem did put vintage Wonder Woman on the cover of the first Ms. Magazine.

(That's because women don't read actual print/digital comic books, y'see, only the boys did that, growing up--The girls would go into big Symbolic mode whenever a heroine becomes famous enough for regular people to have heard of, and didn't start going around in Cap-shield T-shirts until they got binge-grrl hooked on ABC's "Agent Carter".  They don't care so much about Marvel's "Captain Marvel" or "Black Widow", or whether Wonder Woman was better than the wrist-slitting Zack Snyder movies,  just so much as we actually have one.)

And yes:  If you work for Warner, you work for ALL of Warner.  If they say you show "The Shining" and "Willy Wonka" to promote their latest new would-be house franchise, you danged well show them.

Speaking of which:

On 5/27/2020 at 1:45 PM, speedracer5 said:

I just set up my HBO Max account this morning on my TV.  On HBO Max app. there is an entire section dedicated to classic film.  The section is titled something to the effect of "Classic Movies: Curated by TCM."  It is a fantastic selection.  It appears to be a mix of Warner Brothers and Criterion. 

It appears to be the same Filmstruck mix of WB and Criterion from before the breakup, only WB didn't lose custody of the Truffaut, Kurosawa and Godzilla movies.

The Cartoon section not only has a (partial) selection of Looney Tunes--both the classics and two different awful new-generation impostors--but also the entire six-season run of The Flintstones. If you haven't seen it in at least twenty years, let THIS be your new streaming-binge discovery thing....Trust me.  😎  (Even though it pretty much jumped the shark in Season 4 when Fred became a dad.)

Also, in addition to getting custody of the Studio Ghibli films (Disney abandoned them years ago), Warner/AT&T is also trying to cross-promote their Japanese-anime Crunchyroll channel, with a "highlight" selection of series, but you can get a bigger selection free-with-ads on the original channel itself.  (HBO's selection doesn't have the first season of "Kemono Friends??)  Or, just stick to the "Cells at Work" English dub on Netflix.

I'm unsure if I actually saw that or maybe just clips from it. Ricardo Montalban was the villain, I thinkn.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

I'm unsure if I actually saw that or maybe just clips from it. Ricardo Montalban was the villain, I thinkn.

Yes, ask any DC comics fan about Diana's 70's "jumpsuit" phase in the comics, that would be about when we got this TV-movie.

I doubt there was a bigger DC comics fan than me in the '70s, actually. I don't recall there ever being a Wonder Woman jumpsuit in the comics like the one here, unless you're referring to the non-powered  Diana Prince Secret Agent phase, when she dressed like Emma Peel.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

I doubt there was a bigger DC comics fan than me in the '70s, actually. I don't recall there ever being a Wonder Woman jumpsuit in the comics like the one here, unless you're referring to the non-powered  Diana Prince Secret Agent phase, when she dressed like Emma Peel.

Wasn't saying THAT was the jumpsuit, but TV's attempt at plausible superheroes certainly wasn't ready for the iconic eagle-bustier until they went Batman-camp with Lynda Carter in the next series.

(Although, of course, current designs for WW's armor now either have the movie battle-armor, or a "W" design across her cleavage, since, as the joke goes, Diana was "sick of fans shouting 'Make the wings flap, make the wings flap!'" 😆 )

• Haha 1

On 6/3/2020 at 4:06 PM, NipkowDisc said:

poor Kathie lee Crosby gets no respect.

Cathey Lee Crosby...The Wonder Woman that never really was (except ...

...Yes, Eric J., I remember very well when I saw the ABC premiere of that Gifford unsold pilot. It reached the air after WW had returned to the classic tights in the comic books. The " Diana Rigg Wonder Woman " phrase ran 1968-1972 or There about in the DC Comics.