Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
MovieMadness

Jimmy Fallon apologizes for old blackface skit after viral backlash

Jimmy Fallon has apologized for donning blackface in a resurfaced 2000 “Saturday Night Live” skit that had many calling to “cancel” him.

The 45-year-old host of “The Tonight Show” issued a statement Tuesday in a tweet and thanked fans for holding him “accountable.”

“In 2000, while on SNL, I made a terrible decision to do an impersonation of Chris Rock while in blackface,” he wrote. “There is no excuse for this. I am very sorry for making this unquestionably offensive decision and thank all of you for holding me accountable.”

Fallon’s 20-year-old sketch went viral overnight after Twitter user @chefboyohdear posted the vintage clip featuring Darrell Hammond and Fallon doing an impersonation of Rock with his face painted brown.

The tweet, which has amassed more than 972,000 views as of Tuesday, featured the hashtag #jimmyfallonisoverparty and a caption which read: “NBC fired Megan [sic] Kelly for mentioning blackface. Jimmy Fallon performed on NBC in blackface.”

No, they can't hold a democrat accountable for wearing blackface. They will overlook it since his politics fits NBC.

Talk about attention to detail!  Seems to be more an impersonation . :unsure:

BB14Ci0Q.img?h=0&w=720&m=6&q=60&u=t&o=f&

At least he didn't use the word "African American" (now THAT'S racist?? :wacko:)

12289690-4x3-xlarge.jpg?v=2

2 hours ago, MovieMadness said:

Comedians need to stop apologizing for making jokes, what a wimp.

On 5/27/2020 at 11:32 AM, Det Jim McLeod said:

Comedians need to stop apologizing for making jokes, what a wimp.

I agree but it doesn't really cost him anything to make a brief apology and drum up support among the types of people who would be offended by this. It works as outrage bait for his career I suppose.

I heard a good joke in a rather bad British comedy The Camels Are Coming (1934).  The hero goes undercover in blackface as an Arab and discovered, the girl says "My, you've caught the sun."