Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
MovieMadness

Minneapolis mayor calls for charges against officer who put knee to George Floyd's neck

Minneapolis mayor calls for charges against officer who put knee to George Floyd's neck

A Minnesota mayor on Wednesday is calling for criminal charges against the police officer who was seen pinning George Floyd to the ground with his knee in an incident that is spurring street protests and local and federal investigations.

"What I can say with certainty, based on what I saw, is that ... the officer who had his knee on the neck of George Floyd should be charged," Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey said in a news conference Wednesday.

Frey declined to say what the officer should be charged with, and said his knowledge is "limited to the video evidence that is there" about Floyd, a black man. He said he made his opinion known to Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman, whose office would be in position to file state charges.

"George Floyd deserves justice. His family deserves justice. The black community deserves justice, and our city deserves justice," Frey said.

No charges have been filed in the case.

The four police officers involved in the incident with Floyd were fired Tuesday, Minneapolis police said. That includes Officer Derek Chauvin, the officer seen on video restraining Floyd with his knee, Chauvin's attorney Tom Kelly said.

Kelly said he wouldn't yet release a statement on Chauvin's behalf.

Minneapolis Police Chief Medaria Arradondo declined to discuss Floyd's death on Wednesday but said the actions of the former police officers "in no way reflect the values, and the vision and the culture" he wants to change in the police department.

They conveniently left out that this happened in a Democrat state with a Democrat mayor in a Democrat city. Too bad they can't blame Republicans.

• Like 1

Oh, cut out those GD stupidly partisan comments. Everything with you is finger pointing politics. This heinous act, kneeing on a man's neck as he says he can't breath, killing him in the process (with other cops standing around doing nothing to stop it), is the evil of racism, pure and simple. And that has been with your nation since its inception. That evil is in more than just the States, of course. Canada has had more than its share, as well, as it still does.

By the way, Trump, your President, the one you will vote for again in November, has trafficked in this crap going back to his birther garbage which first brought him political prominence. As he continues to speak in not so subtle code language to white supremacists, you know, those "very good people" who showed up in Charlottesville a couple of years ago.

Okay, I got into finger pointing myself there but, in Trump's case and that of many of his followers, knowingly closing a blind eye to his race baiting or, worse, agreeing with the sentiments, they all have it coming.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, MovieMadness said:

They conveniently left out that this happened in a Democrat state with a Democrat mayor in a Democrat city. Too bad they can't blame Republicans.

Just as you conveniently left out it was that same democrat mayor who called for charges to be brought to the officer responsible.  How about posting any(IF any) responses of outrage from Trump, Pence, McConnell  or any of the other republicans in "control" of the senate?   Could it be because there aren't any?  ;) 

Sepiatone

• Thanks 1

Yes,  this isn't a political situation;   E.g.  some activities will riot and loop and burn down the town regardless of the party of the politicians that runs the city or state.

As for comments from national officials;   These are local issues and when national politicians comment that only leads to more division:   we saw that with Obama even though his heart was in the right place.    

PS:  The Economist has an article on Black Lives Matter;   mostly it is about how the group has fallen out of favor (e.g.  media coverage is slight and this started to occur long before C-19),   but the group is making progress mostly in areas with Dem administrations (which,  yea,  is were most of the police abuse occurs in the USA).     But they also mention how Ferguson,  now run by many black politicians hasn't change much,  if at all.

1 hour ago, Sepiatone said:

Just as you conveniently left out it was that same democrat mayor who called for charges to be brought to the officer responsible.  How about posting any(IF any) responses of outrage from Trump, Pence, McConnell  or any of the other republicans in "control" of the senate?   Could it be because there aren't any?  ;) 

Sepiatone

Just a reminder that Donald Trump has encouraged Police Officers to treat their prisoners harshly suggesting that they throw the guidelines away.

• Thanks 1

Just a reminder;  who isn't black?   That would be Biden.   

The point being;  the related bonehead comment by Biden makes it difficult for him to comment on the George Floyd case without the appearance that he is just pandering,  yet again, to the black community in order to get their vote.

DUH,  that Trump is a lot worst when it comes to race relations,   but Biden with his sloppy mouth,   can't get much leverage in this area.    At this point I'm not sure that even a major effort by Obama will work to convince black voters that they need to come out and vote for Biden,  PERIOD,  to defeat the most racist President in decades.      

3 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Just a reminder;  who isn't black?   That would be Biden.   

The point being;  the related bonehead comment by Biden makes it difficult for him to comment on the George Floyd case without the appearance that he is just pandering,  yet again, to the black community in order to get their vote.

DUH,  that Trump is a lot worst when it comes to race relations,   but Biden with his sloppy mouth,   can't get much leverage in this area.    At this point I'm not sure that even a major effort by Obama will work to convince black voters that they need to come out and vote for Biden,  PERIOD,  to defeat the most racist President in decades.      

This is part of the reason Trump might win again. Donald can anything and 90% of his followers will still vote for him.

Biden says one wrong word and could lose votes.

Liberals want their candidate to be perfect, mythical even.  Biden only won because they found fault with all the others.

Conservatives just someone who appears strong. Their bar is so low that Donald can easily cross it.

The black vote really doesn't matter,  Trump will never get that.  It was white women who put Trump in office.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, GGGGerald said:

This is part of the reason Trump might win again. Donald can anything and 90% of his followers will still vote for him.

Biden says one wrong word and could lose votes.

Liberals want their candidate to be perfect, mythical even.  Biden only won because they found fault with all the others.

Conservatives just someone who appears strong. Their bar is so low that Donald can easily cross it.

The black vote really doesn't matter,  Trump will never get that.  It was white women who put Trump in office.

I agree with what you say here except that 'the black vote really doesn't matter";    Of course Trump will 'never get that' but my point was that in many cases, either will Biden.

This is why I said "convince black voters that they need to come out and vote for Biden,".      In those battleground states every vote will count and as you note voter turnout by Trump's base \ supporters will be very strong (likely the highest in U.S. History).     While Biden can't match that he needs the type of Dem \ left-leaning \ non-GOP voter turnout Obama was able to achieve,  in those battleground states,  to win the EC.       

What I fear is 2016 again;  solid voter turnout for Biden in NY, CA and other 'blue' states but not in the states that matter;   Biden receives more popular votes,  but Trump is re-elected.

• Like 1

this is the kind of unfortunate incident nobody needs or wants. George Floyd should not be dead. it was not necessary for this cop to press his knee on the poor man's neck close to ten minutes causing his death. the cop is a pos and he should get the maximum allowable jail time for 1st degree manslaughter.

George Floyd's family deserves justice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Maybe the cop was Republican :).  What's the use of having a license to kill if

you never use it?

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

14 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

Maybe the cop was Republican :).  What's the use of having a license to kill if

you never use it?

Tasteless. A man died, his family is grieving, a community is in an uproar and you're cracking jokes about it.

It was meant more as sarcasm than as humor. You'd think when the dumb cop heard

"I can't breathe" a light might have gone on in his mind, but sadly it didn't.

3 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I agree with what you say here except that 'the black vote really doesn't matter";    Of course Trump will 'never get that' but my point was that in many cases, either will Biden.

This is why I said "convince black voters that they need to come out and vote for Biden,".      In those battleground states every vote will count and as you note voter turnout by Trump's base \ supporters will be very strong (likely the highest in U.S. History).     While Biden can't match that he needs the type of Dem \ left-leaning \ non-GOP voter turnout Obama was able to achieve,  in those battleground states,  to win the EC.       

I only say that because many blacks see Biden as "Obama's third term". In 2016, Hilary was too divisive and Bernie's supporters stayed home because their candidate didn't win the nomination. Biden shouldn't have those issues. I think they are using the best strategy of keeping him quiet. And now we see why !

What I fear is 2016 again;  solid voter turnout for Biden in NY, CA and other 'blue' states but not in the states that matter;   Biden receives more popular votes,  but Trump is re-elected.

That is a real concern. Liberals  are good at finding minor reasons not to vote. Then make all sorts of noise after the election.

Off topic: One of the podcasts I am listening to is called Wicked Game. Each week it profiles one presidential election. This week its 1924, and the title is "Silence is Golden", How Coolidge won by staying quiet and just doing good work. Biden could learn from this.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, TomJH said:

Oh, cut out those GD stupidly partisan comments.

If this had happened in a Republican state, you would be crowing from every mountaintop in Canada that it's all Trump's fault. Just look at the thread about it in here.

46 minutes ago, MovieMadness said:

If this had happened in a Republican state, you would be crowing from every mountaintop in Canada that it's all Trump's fault. Just look at the thread about it in here.

You're 100% correct here;  most of the time,  both of you make GD stupidly partisan comments.      

11 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

You're 100% correct here;  most of the time,  both of you make GD stupidly partisan comments.      

Except Tom isn't denying what happened here was evil. MM literally denies the Republicans of any guilt for anything.

• Thanks 3

11 hours ago, MovieMadness said:

You still don't get it. You're the only person to whom it matters whether this act occurred in a Republican or Democrat state. It doesn't matter which political party governs that state or any other state in which an act of this nature occurs.

That cop cold bloodedly continuing to kneel on a black man's neck for nine minutes as the man repeatedly said he couldn't breath and cried out for his mother was an act performed in public, with cameras recording it, of the purest evil. And the other cops just standing there doing nothing as people around them pleaded with the cop to let the man up are all a part of that evil.

Trump is not directly responsible for what occurred in Minneapolis. But with his appeasement of racists in the nation and his wink-wink nod of the head towards white supremacists (those "very good" people in Charlottesville) he helped to foment the atmosphere of intolerance for the kind of acts of racial hatred that we have seen lately.  While racism existed long before Trump arrived on the scene, he has exploited it and his Presidency has, in the minds of many racists, made those acts against minorities more permissible once again.

And ALL (!!!) Trump supporters, unless they are deaf, dumb and blind to any kind of reality, must be aware of that fact! Many Trump supporters (I won't guess the percentage) are not racist, of course, and support this man for other reasons. But they also all know that, by that very support, whatever their motive for it may be, they are enabling a man who, at the very least, encourages racism in the nation because it has profited him politically.

• Thanks 1

mountaintopview-540x280.jpg

IT'S ALL TRUMPS FAULT.!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OH WORLD IT'S ALL TRUMPS FAULT.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wait, it's a Democrat city with a Democrat mayor in a Democrat state.? OH WELL, I DON'T CARE.  EVERYTHING HAPPENING IS TRUMP'S FAULT!!!!!

35 minutes ago, MovieMadness said:

IT'S ALL TRUMPS FAULT.!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OH WORLD IT'S ALL TRUMPS FAULT.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wait, it's a Democrat city with a Democrat mayor in a Democrat state.? OH WELL, I DON'T CARE.  EVERYTHING HAPPENING IS TRUMP'S FAULT!!!!!

And you enable this President by your support of him, MM. Don't shirk your own responsibility for adding to the racial divide that permeates your nation today by doing so. And your cop out emphasis about this latest incident occurring in a Democrat state just doesn't cut it as a distraction.

15 hours ago, Sukhov said:

Except Tom isn't denying what happened here was evil. MM literally denies the Republicans of any guilt for anything.

He denying that Dem politicians are often responsible for doing nothing;  i.e. they are no different than GOP politicians.

Note that in Los Angeles the tension between the BLM charter and the all Dem,  progressive,  but white politicians (as well as mayor being Jewish),   is very, very high.

BLM has openly stated these L.A. pols are 'no different';    

Dems have to look in the minor,  especially white-one;   are they just pandering to the black community to get their vote?      In the case of Biden,,    it appears so.

While I don't think that is true,   IF Dem pols like Biden can't convince the black community the GOP,  and Trump, will continue to win elections. 

8 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

He denying that Dem politicians are often responsible for doing nothing;  i.e. they are no different than GOP politicians.

Note that in Los Angeles the tension between the BLM charter and the all Dem,  progressive,  but white politicians (as well as mayor being Jewish),   is very, very high.

BLM has openly stated these L.A. pols are 'no different';    

Dems have to look in the minor,  especially white-one;   are they just pandering to the black community to get their vote?      In the case of Biden,,    it appears so.

While I don't think that is true,   IF Dem pols like Biden can't convince the black community the GOP,  and Trump, will continue to win elections. 

This is what he posted in the comment up there- 

"You still don't get it. You're the only person to whom it matters whether this act occurred in a Republican or Democrat state. It doesn't matter which political party governs that state or any other state in which an act of this nature occurs."

When has MM ever said anything like this? 

• Like 1

It's important because Democrats always play the blame game--you can see it in here about Trump on a daily basis. Yet they can't blame this on Trump because we had Obama for 8 years as President, and this occurred in a Democrat state with a Democrat mayor in a Democrat city. The riots are happening and the democrats don't stop them. Now they have burned down the police station. At least they arrested CNN.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sukhov said:

This is what he posted in the comment up there- 

"You still don't get it. You're the only person to whom it matters whether this act occurred in a Republican or Democrat state. It doesn't matter which political party governs that state or any other state in which an act of this nature occurs."

When has MM ever said anything like this? 

Sukhov, it's up to you if you want to continue your interaction with this particular poster but he will just come back again and again and nit pick and misinterpret statements, such as he did with me on this thread. Believe me (and this is the voice of experience here), it's not worth the effort to even start an exchange with him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MovieMadness said:

It's important because Democrats always play the blame game--you can see it in here about Trump on a daily basis. Yet they can't blame this on Trump because we had Obama for 8 years as President, and this occurred in a Democrat state with a Democrat mayor in a Democrat city. The riots are happening and the democrats don't stop them. Now they have burned down the police station. At least they arrested CNN.

It's happening in America, bub.   The Confederates lost in 1865 but there are still white supremacists in every state.

Looting, fires in downtown Portland; police declare riot

Chaos reigned in downtown Portland late Friday night into the early morning hours of Saturday as a protest against police violence after a handcuffed black man was killed when a white Minneapolis police officer pressed a knee on his neck descended into a riot.

Vandalism, break-ins, looting and fires were witnessed by KOIN 6 News crews into the overnight hours as thousands roamed the streets, either partaking in the riot or watching it unfold around them. Multiple high-end retailers, including storefronts for Apple, Louis Vuitton and Tory Burch, were breached and looted. A Chase Bank branch was broken into and set on fire.

At least two protesters were arrested according to Portland police; no other details were immediately released.

As a peaceful vigil in North Portland turned into a march through Northeast neighborhoods Friday evening, protesters had been gathered outside of the Multnomah County Justice Center in downtown Portland.

After the groups merged sometime around 10:30 p.m., KOIN 6 News crews witnessed protesters smashing the windows of the Justice Center. “Flares and other incendiary devices” were thrown on the first level of the building as Corrections Records staff were still there, according to officials; staffers were able to escape to a secure location inside the building. The flames were put out by the building’s fire sprinkler system; however, extensive damaged remained.

All of the riots are happening in Democrat cities,  including vandalism, break-ins, looting and fires. So a vote for Biden gets the same outcome.

• Like 1