Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Minneapolis mayor calls for charges against officer who put knee to George Floyd's neck

Y'know what bugs me about this too....

Every clip of footage I see of the incident shows not only the cop with his knee on the man's neck, and his hand in his pocket, but several times he's seen looking directly into the camera recording it all!  He HAD to know it was being recorded and that no good would result from it.  So....

Was that gross ignorance, or gross arrogance?

Or both?

Sepiatone

18 hours ago, Sukhov said:

This is what he posted in the comment up there- 

"You still don't get it. You're the only person to whom it matters whether this act occurred in a Republican or Democrat state. It doesn't matter which political party governs that state or any other state in which an act of this nature occurs."

When has MM ever said anything like this? 

It DOES matter what political party controls a state\county\city since policing and law enforcement are LOCAL issues,  control by LOCAL governments.   The Feds have little power to dictate how police departments operate.   BLM understands this.    They continued to make progress with LOCAL authorities even with racist Trump and his admin in charge of the Federal executive branch.

To say 'it doesn't matter which political party governs' is idiotic and total nonsense.     Since outside of the South,  most major cities with significant black populations are governs by Dems,   it is these Dem leaders that either have to get their act together,  OR be replaced by Dems that will.     The only tie to the Federal level of government is Bernie Sanders.   I.e. Sanders is the only national Dem that is trusted by younger people-of-color and their leaders (E.g. the 'Squad').      The Dem party establishment as represented by Biden (and before that the Clintons),   is NOT trusted.       

• Like 1

Unlike what some others say on this thread, my point was that it does  NOT matter which political party is in charge of Minnesota because the death of George Floyd is symptomatic of police violence against black men throughout the nation. A variation of this same thing has occurred in any of a number of other states over the years, be it Democrat or Republican. That's what these protests are about. If Floyd had been a one time incident you wouldn't see these same protests.

• Thanks 2

It does matter what political party is in charge, because Democrats have for years claimed this only happens because of Republicans. And here we have a city and state being completely run by Democrats, and they had a cop who killed this African-American like it was a fun thing to do. 18 complaints apparently weren't enough for democrats to flag him as a problem cop. The rioting is happening in Democrat cities right now, showing they are the ones who condone and support this behavior. Biden just told an African-American that if he doesn't vote for him, then he ain't black, showing how the democrats have used them as pawns for political purposes all these years, and not caring if their lives improve at all. Under Trump, they had the lowest unemployment on record..

13 minutes ago, hamradio said:

I'm on my knees giving thanks I live in a small town FAR from any major cities.

So where you live, people have never protested the Vietnam War?

So where you live, people have never protested abortion?

So where you live oh, there's never been any kind of civil rights demonstration?

Or not even a demonstration of the Ku Klux Klan?

You don't have to live in a big city to have protests and demonstrations in a democracy.

I can't believe with all your talk about coal, that there have never been some kind of protests, demonstrations, marches or some public event like that about the coal industry.

This is America, and no matter where you live people get out and exercise their freedom of speech-- if they still have a pulse.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

So where you live, people have never protested the Vietnam War?

So where you live, people have never protested abortion?

So where you live oh, there's never been any kind of civil rights demonstration?

Or not even a demonstration of the Klu Klux Klan?

You don't have to live in a big city to have protests and demonstrations in a democracy.

I can't believe with all your talk about coal, that there have never been some kind of protests, demonstrations, marches or some public event like that about the coal industry.

This is America, and no matter where you live people get out and exercise their freedom of speech-- if they still have a pulse.

Nope no protest of any type during my life time. 

Guess this is where they got the inspiration "Almost Heaven West Virginia".

3 minutes ago, hamradio said:

Nope no protest of any type during my life time. 

Guess this is where they got the inspiration "Almost Heaven West Virginia".

Sounds more like a graveyard to me.

• Haha 3
1 hour ago, MovieMadness said:

It does matter what political party is in charge, because Democrats have for years claimed this only happens because of Republicans. And here we have a city and state being completely run by Democrats, and they had a cop who killed this African-American like it was a fun thing to do. 18 complaints apparently weren't enough for democrats to flag him as a problem cop. The rioting is happening in Democrat cities right now, showing they are the ones who condone and support this behavior. Biden just told an African-American that if he doesn't vote for him, then he ain't black, showing how the democrats have used them as pawns for political purposes all these years, and not caring if their lives improve at all. Under Trump, they had the lowest unemployment on record..

The cop is probably a racist, and there have been other cops who were racists and killed black men. What has that got to do with the political party of a state?

• Thanks 2
27 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

Sounds more like a graveyard to me.

West Virginia has the highest rate of drug deaths in the country (as well as the highest rate of accidents, whatever that means). It's also one of the poorest and most unhealthy states and in the bottom five or ten of many state rankings. So maybe the protests are keeping us Yankee urbanites healthy and happy!

• Haha 1
10 minutes ago, Swithin said:

West Virginia has the highest rate of drug deaths in the country (as well as the highest rate of accidents, whatever that means). It's also one of the poorest and most unhealthy states and in the bottom five or ten of many state rankings. So maybe the protests are keeping us Yankee urbanites healthy and happy!

You can thank the global warming scam for us losing jobs, drug abuse due to hopelessness of having none. :angry:

10 minutes ago, hamradio said:

You can thank the global warming scam for us losing jobs, drug abuse due to hopelessness of having none. :angry:

I'm sorry about that, but I thought Mr. Trump was going to be your savior, and bring back the coal mines.

I'm certainly no fan of Trump, but I must confess to feeling a little thrill of seeing how a New York con artist landlord can fool so many people in this country!

• Sad 1
7 hours ago, hamradio said:

And I guess all the horse and buggy companies are depressed and not doing very well now either.

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, MovieMadness said:

The big cities being run by democrats are such a wonderful place to live these days, between the virus and riots, life couldn't be more pleasant.

The infant mortality rate is considered a measure of quality of life and level of civilization. Here are the U.S. states with the highest and lowest infant mortality rates.  Or, in other words, "Why are Republicans killing their children?"

The first list (worst stats) are all states that voted for Trump; the second list are all states (apart from Montana) that voted for Clinton.

Ohio, Tennessee, Alabama, George, Oklahoma, West Virginia, South Carolina, Arkansas, Louisiana, and Mississippi.

The states with the lowest rates:

New Hampshire, New Jersey, California, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Oregon, New York, Colorado, Washington, Montana.

In terms of overall death rates from all causes:

The five US states with the highest death rates have an average rate 49% higher than that of the five states with the lowest death rates, according to a new report from the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The five states with the highest death rates overall were:
Alabama, Kentucky, Mississippi, Oklahoma, West Virginia

The five states with the lowest death rates were:
California, Connecticut, Hawaii, Minnesota, New York

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
10 hours ago, MovieMadness said:

I don't think that that is the case at all.  For the longest time the quickest way to get into the LAPD was to join the John Birch Society.  Sadly, racism is everywhere.  In every state AND in every country.

But white supremacists DO gravitate to the Republican party and Trump is a complete racist ****.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

And what MM also seems to not realize.... (and probably chooses not to...) 

It was a COP who had his knee on George Floyd's neck, NOT the democrat mayor or any other democrat politician.  And for all we know, that cop could be a republican voter, or even an INDEPENDENT voter.  And too.....

Here in Detroit, we had a similar incident in 1992, in which two white undercover cops beat a young black man(Malice Green) with their mag lights so bad Green died of blunt force trauma.  And sure....  the mayor was a democrat...

But also BLACK.(Coleman Young)  So would MM say Young was complicit in this killing of a young unarmed black man because the mayor was a democrat?  Or that two rogue cops lost control...?

Incidentally, the two cops responsible were prosecuted and got 40 years for 2nd degree murder.

Sepiatone

3 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

I don't think that that is the case at all.  For the longest time the quickest way to get into the LAPD was to join the John Birch Society.  Sadly, racism is everywhere.  In every state AND in every country.

But white supremacists DO gravitate to the Republican party and Trump is a complete racist ****.

What you're saying about the LAPD is over 2 decades old.      In some ways your're correct that it doesn't matter what party governs a city\county\ or state since 'they' will not be satisfied,  period.      Dem establishment pols here in CA got that message loud and clear yesterday;      E.g.   the LAPD Mayor says he isn't going to call in the guard since L.A.  doesn't need them,   that L.A. respects the protesters and their cause so have your protest,,,, just do so safely.     Governor of CA says something similar.    Within 8 hours the Mayor called the Governor and asked for the National Guard.     These pols had no other choice,  right?      

L.A.  has been working with the local BLM  chapter since it stated;   many reforms have been implement,   BLM claimed to be OK with the progress (of course they want more but political change takes time).    The point being that one either believes these Dem pols really want reform or NOT.   That they are sincere.    OR NOT.      If NOT,  and these are some of the most liberal white,  brown and black politicians in the nation,   there is NO hope.     The race war is on,  and  it looks like there will be only one way to end it.     

Democrats have promised for years that if you elect them into office then none of this will ever happen, yet it continues to happen. Obama did nothing for eight long years, Biden recently told an African-American that if he doesn't vote for him, then he ain't black. At some point those affected will see this for what it is. They are actually rioting against democrats and most don't even know it.

Maybe in Los Angeles the Dems that govern the area will have to give in to this BLM demand,  as an experiment in African-American neighborhoods:    NO police force.

Yes,  NO police force.    Instead the neighborhood would police themselves.      This is a serious BLM request.     Note that older generation African-Americans are against it since they assume such a plan would me gangs would run the neighborhoods,   but if that is what the majority of citizens in a neighborhood what,,,,, maybe it is best to just give that to them and let them determine how they wish to deal with the criminals that live in their neighborhoods.        

1 hour ago, MovieMadness said:

Democrats have promised for years that if you elect them into office then none of this will ever happen, yet it continues to happen. Obama did nothing for eight long years, Biden recently told an African-American that if he doesn't vote for him, then he ain't black. At some point those affected will see this for what it is. They are actually rioting against democrats and most don't even know it.

HS.  How can any party in America promise anything of the sort.   Washington cannot agree on anything.  The best that should be expected is that they promise to try to move ahead and promise not to be the party of white supremacists.  

27 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

HS.  How can any party in America promise anything of the sort.   Washington cannot agree on anything.  The best that should be expected is that they promise to try to move ahead and promise not to be the party of white supremacists.  

Yes,   major change related to law enforcement,  as well as reducing or eliminating institutional racism can't come from Washington (I.e. The US Federal government),  it must come from the grass roots;  I.e.  from the city level to the county and then to the state,   especially in a nation as large as the USA and with our form of government (where states have a lot of power).

This is why is does matter which political party governs at the city\county\state level and in this regard it appears the opinion of the majority of black activists (e.g. BLM leaders),  the Dem party has failed AT THIS  LOCAL LEVEL.        Again,  CA Dem progressive politicians at all levels of  government got that message yesterday.     Since the Rodney King 'event' in 1991 all of CA has been mostly controlled by liberal Dems,   especially most of the major cities like L.A.  and  San Francisco.     

Again,  it isn't ME that is saying these CA progressive Dems have failed;  it is the CA black community that is saying that.      If CA Dems,  especially those in L.A.  can't initiate the type of change,  over the last 30 years,   that is enough to satisfy the black community,     who can?    What can?       How can anyone have any hope?

45 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Yes,   major change related to law enforcement,  as well as reducing or eliminating institutional racism can't come from Washington (I.e. The US Federal government),  it must come from the grass roots;  I.e.  from the city level to the county and then to the state,   especially in a nation as large as the USA and with our form of government (where states have a lot of power).

This is why is does matter which political party governs at the city\county\state level and in this regard it appears the opinion of the majority of black activists (e.g. BLM leaders),  the Dem party has failed AT THIS  LOCAL LEVEL.        Again,  CA Dem progressive politicians at all levels of  government got that message yesterday.     Since the Rodney King 'event' in 1991 all of CA has been mostly controlled by liberal Dems,   especially most of the major cities like L.A.  and  San Francisco.     

Again,  it isn't ME that is saying these CA progressive Dems have failed;  it is the CA black community that is saying that.      If CA Dems,  especially those in L.A.  can't initiate the type of change,  over the last 30 years,   that is enough to satisfy the black community,     who can?    What can?       How can anyone have any hope?

I was living in LA during the riots.  They started because of the verdict acquitting the LAPD.  And was not that case tried in a very white Republican district?