Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
MovieMadness

Minneapolis mayor calls for charges against officer who put knee to George Floyd's neck

11 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

I was living in LA during the riots.  They started because of the verdict acquitting the LAPD.  And was not that case tried in a very white Republican district?

Yes,  but I fail to see how your post applies to anything going on today.    

You can't be disputing that the vast majority of L.A. County is governed by Dems.      AND of course there are still a few GOP Mayors,  County supervisors and other officials.   BUT again,  the vast majority of Los Angeles political leaders at all levels of government are Dems.     

Note that another major political conflict in L.A. County is between older black activist and the BLM \ younger ones.    The older ones have worked WITHIN the Dem party for decades and they feel they have made progress.   OK there is more to be done,  but there has been progress and they wish to continue to work WITHIN the system and WITH their Dem party white 'brothers'  (e.g. L.A. Mayor Eric Garcetti and L.A. Police Chief Moore),  and black D.A.  Jacky Lacey.    The  BLM \ younger ones feel that is folly and often refuse to work WITHIN the system or with the local political leaders.      These two are at each other today,   due to their major,  major disagreement on tactics.   

7 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Yes,  but I fail to see how your post applies to anything going on today.    

Perhaps but I only mentioned it as a point of interest as you mentioned Rodney King.  The problem people see with police forces across the country is that they have not changed enough since that time almost 30 years ago.  That is what black people are saying.  The difference today is that there are more cameras to capture these events.

I am by no means an expert on solving this problem.  Call in Jared Kushner.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bogie56 said:

Perhaps but I only mentioned it as a point of interest as you mentioned Rodney King.  The problem people see with police forces across the country is that they have not changed enough since that time almost 30 years ago.  That is what black people are saying.  The difference today is that there are more cameras to capture these events.

I am by no means an expert on solving this problem.  Call in Jared Kushner.

I agree with this and it matches what I have been saying;  progress has been made,  especially in areas govern by Dems,  but it hasn't changed enough.   E.g.  Atlanta where the vast majority of protesters were black;   The black Dem mayor Bottoms said 'When you burn down this city,  you're burning down our community!  If you want to change America, go and register to vote!".   

V.P. of Atlanta's NAACP,  Griggs said "I'm angry,   There's no reason to deface property.  That's not the spirit of protest that has been Atlanta forever".   Still Griggs did not agree entirely with Mayor Bottoms:  He said her message - that Atlanta was more progressive than other cities - was far too rosy.    In the last 5 years, he said,  at least 6 black men had been fatally shot by Atlanta police in  cases that were still unresolved.    

If America's most prosperous black dominated city,  Atlanta,   with a  Dem black Mayor,  and many Dem black city leaders in positions of power,    can't do a better job related to police abuse of black citizens,,,,,,,      it would appear there is no solving of this problem. 

PS:   but I do have to make this point:   to blame Trump for the disappointment of black citizens in Atlanta toward their own leadership is folly.    Of course Trump doesn't wish to solve this issue.      But in areas like Atlanta or L.A.  etc...   it isn't the Feds that need to step up.   

1 hour ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I agree with this and it matches what I have been saying;  progress has been made,  especially in areas govern by Dems,  but it hasn't changed enough.   E.g.  Atlanta where the vast majority of protesters were black;   The black Dem mayor Bottoms said 'When you burn down this city,  you're burning down our community!  If you want to change America, go and register to vote!".   

V.P. of Atlanta's NAACP,  Griggs said "I'm angry,   There's no reason to deface property.  That's not the spirit of protest that has been Atlanta forever".   Still Griggs did not agree entirely with Mayor Bottoms:  He said her message - that Atlanta was more progressive than other cities - was far too rosy.    In the last 5 years, he said,  at least 6 black men had been fatally shot by Atlanta police in  cases that were still unresolved.    

If America's most prosperous black dominated city,  Atlanta,   with a  Dem black Mayor,  and many Dem black city leaders in positions of power,    can't do a better job related to police abuse of black citizens,,,,,,,      it would appear there is no solving of this problem. 

PS:   but I do have to make this point:   to blame Trump for the disappointment of black citizens in Atlanta toward their own leadership is folly.    Of course Trump doesn't wish to solve this issue.      But in areas like Atlanta or L.A.  etc...   it isn't the Feds that need to step up.   

Jsut for finality I could add that it does not help matters when you spend billions of dollars on tax breaks for billionaires and deprive your poorest citizens of necessities like health care.   It is no wonder that people are brimming with resentment.  

Oh, and keep the poor uneducated so that they will stay poor and work for the billionaire class relentlessly.   And half of them are so dumb that they are highly susceptible to the propaganda BS and will vote these f ers into office time and time again.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

Oh, and keep the poor uneducated so that they will stay poor and work for the billionaire class relentlessly.   And half of them are so dumb that they are highly susceptible to the propaganda BS and will vote these f ers into office time and time again.

That has been the method of the Republican Party over the last few decades: protect and enrich the super rich even further; and promote the right-wing social agenda (including the fostering of fear as a tactic) as a sop to certain segments of the working class, in order to get their votes.

• Thanks 1

Yes, the evil Republicans offer jobs and low taxes, while the democrats offer riots and unemployment.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Jsut for finality I could add that it does not help matters when you spend billions of dollars on tax breaks for billionaires and deprive your poorest citizens of necessities like health care.   It is no wonder that people are brimming with resentment.  

Of course the GOP hasn't 'helped matters'.           But that doesn't really explain much related to California,  which has the 6th largest economy in the world.     

It does explain a lot about the continued deeply rooted issues in southern USA,  Texas and other red states,    but only applies to CA historically,    I.e. NOT really relevant to CA the last 30 or so year.   What is relevant to the black community in CA and So Cal,   is the increase in the Latino population and illegal immigration.    (but I"m sure you don't wish to hear that).

Okay, police brutality happens in Dem cities, certainly. That doesn't make it okay obviously? 

1 hour ago, Sukhov said:

Okay, police brutality happens in Dem cities, certainly. That doesn't make it okay obviously? 

but why should it happen in dem cities? all their citizens should be in the thraw  of utopian ecstasy.

:lol:

Dumbya offered people a Great Recession;he didn't have any takers.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

but why should it happen in dem cities? all their citizens should be in the thraw  of utopian ecstasy.

:lol:

It happens because they have police officers who are trump supporters, racist white supremacists  who are veterans and have been in police law enforcement for a long time and were there before the Democrats took over.

Is that simple enough for you?

9 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

It happens because they have police officers who are trump supporters, racist white supremacists  who are veterans and have been in police law enforcement for a long time and were there before the Democrats took over.

Police Union Backs Trump for Re-Election in 2020

WASHINGTON (CN) – The International Union of Police Associations endorsed President Donald Trump’s 2020 re-election campaign Monday, saying he has done more for law enforcement in the past two and a half years than former President Barack Obama had done in eight.

https://www.courthousenews.com/police-union-backs-trump-for-re-election-in-2020/

Trump supporting cops who are now the subject of the protests.

Lots of people who become police officers have an authoritarian bent.  It is part of their personality.

11 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

and what have dem municipal governments done to address it. to me what you say is possible but why is it in recent years it is in liberal strongholds that this anarchy happens?

obviously what was done to George Floyd was an injustice but the left uses it to try and justify mob violence which in the long term is more harmful than any black man's undeserved demise.

in the long term civilization must be upheld by law and order but the left becomes irate and justifies throwing everything out the window along with the kitchen sink because they refuse to think beyond the passions of the moment.

3 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

and what have dem municipal governments done to address it. to me what you say is possible but why is it in recent years it is in liberal strongholds that this anarchy happens?

obviously what was done to George Floyd was an injustice but the left uses it to try and justify mob violence which in the long term is more harmful than any black man's undeserved demise.

Some of the destruction are instigated by anarchist whom wait for such a tragedy to have an excuse to do such.

It's adorable that NIP actually believes that swill.   He doesn't realize that if Minneapolis had a republican mayor, that cop would have still "taken a knee" on Floyd's neck. The only difference might have been that the republican mayor probably wouldn't have called for the cop's arrest and the other officer's firings. After all, can't lose the "cop vote" lest he be seen as weak on "law and order". :rolleyes:

Sepiatone

Best political one liner of the year..

Gov Cuomo.....Violence obscures the righteousness of the message.

n_msnbc_brk_floyd_protest_200530_1920x10

Hey Obama is now making the point I was yesterday:

""Yes, we should be fighting to make sure that we have a president, a Congress, a US Justice Department, and a federal judiciary that actually recognize the ongoing, corrosive role that racism plays in our society and want to do something about it," he wrote. "But the elected officials who matter most in reforming police departments and the criminal justice system work at the state and local levels."

3 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

Who has used George Floyd to justify mob violence?  Give us a quote or shut up.

16 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

Who has used George Floyd to justify mob violence?  Give us a quote or shut up.

No politicians but the L.A. Times today has quotes from local citizens that clearly do.    

E.g.  Ms. Fetzer,  white women of 32 from Venice:  She said they needed to "just show we're not going to ..... handle the systematic oppression of black people".   "I'm tried of the police using their power to hurt civilians.  I say burn the place down.  Sometimes things need to be burnt down so that we can rebuild".

1 hour ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

No politicians but the L.A. Times today has quotes from local citizens that clearly do.    

E.g.  Ms. Fetzer,  white women of 32 from Venice:  She said they needed to "just show we're not going to ..... handle the systematic oppression of black people".   "I'm tried of the police using their power to hurt civilians.  I say burn the place down.  Sometimes things need to be burnt down so that we can rebuild".

She did identify herself as a liberal?  Is that the first thing that comes to her mind when thinking of herself.  Liberal first, then anarchist?   And of course all of the people engaging in property destruction right now are with her too.  I know you know I wasn't talking about those people.  Nipkowdisc seems to think this is a party platform of democrats.

And anyway you can always find a nutcase here or there.  Maybe she was the person who set fire to the house three doors down from me when I was living in Venice during the Rodney King riots.

I recall phoning my mother to tell her that I was all right and she asked me what's that in the background.  I said "machine gun fire, mom."

My experience was that those riots were way worse than what they managed to report on the news.

53 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

She did identify herself as a liberal?  Is that the first thing that comes to her mind when thinking of herself.  Liberal first, then anarchist?   And of course all of the people engaging in property destruction right now are with her too.  I know you know I wasn't talking about those people.  Nipkowdisc seems to think this is a party platform of democrats.

And anyway you can always find a nutcase here or there.  Maybe she was the person who set fire to the house three doors down from me when I was living in Venice during the Rodney King riots.

I recall phoning my mother to tell her that I was all right and she asked me what's that in the background.  I said "machine gun fire, mom."

My experience was that those riots were way worse than what they managed to report on the news.

Destroying random homes is unfair but I see what the people in Minneapolis were getting at with the police building and the courthouse. If they have to destroy anything they should destroy those.

She self-identified herself as progressive \ liberal.     But I wouldn't assume she is an anarchist.    I view her as just another young person in So Cal that has been raised to hate corporate America so the destruction of corporate America is justified.        I wouldn't label her as a nutcase either.   That is too convenient.     Instead I accept that there are people that,  as she said,  are "tried" ,    have shown patience with working WITHIN the system and that system has failed them.    E.g. if  she  asked by someone that was against the use of violence :  "what would another peaceful protest accomplish? "      The truthful response would be 'nothing,,, since even under Obama,  and Dem leadership at all levels of government in CA,   little progress has was made".