Yoda1978

15 Favorite Classic TV Shows.

Most of my favorites have already been mentioned. A few more:

Northern Exposure

mad_men7.jpg

DD Mad Men

Skag

• Like 3

Holy ****. How could I forget this one--Dragnet 1960s version. A comedy classic.

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

Holy ****. How could I forget this one--Dragnet 1960s version. A comedy classic.

Gee, what makes you say this, Vautrin?

giphy.gif

(...drama at its finest here, I'd say) 

;)

1 I Love Lucy

2 The Mary Tyler Moore Show

3 The Brady Bunch

4 The Golden Girls

5 The Dick Van Dyke Show

6 Bewitched

7 I Dream of Jeannie

8 The Andy Griffith Show

9  Beverly Hills, 90210

10 Gidget

11 Unsolved Mysteries

12 The Odd Couple

13 Seinfeld

14 Mister Ed

15 Green Acres

• Like 1

Who even knows what counts as classic these days ?

• Remington Steele
  • Twilight Zone
  • Get Smart
  • Columbo
  • Mission Impossible
  • Untouchables
  • The Saint
  • Benny Hill
  • Avengers (Cathy, Emma and Tara)
  • Seinfeld
  • I Love Lucy
  • Honeymooners
  • Poirot
  • Little House on the Prairie
  • Sanford and Son

Honorable Mention:

Johnny Cash Show  - It was only on for two seasons. I still watch it on Sunday evenings

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, GGGGerald said:

Who even knows what counts as classic these days ?

I figured that I could include Beverly Hills, 90210 as the last episode was 20 years ago.  When I started watching Nick at Nite, the last episode of The Mary Tyler Moore Show had aired 18 years prior.  The last episode of The Brady Bunch had aired about 20 years earlier. 

I also had It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia and The Great British Baking Show on my list, before I realized it was "Classic" shows.

1 hour ago, speedracer5 said:

I figured that I could include Beverly Hills, 90210 as the last episode was 20 years ago.  When I started watching Nick at Nite, the last episode of The Mary Tyler Moore Show had aired 18 years prior.  The last episode of The Brady Bunch had aired about 20 years earlier. 

I also had It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia and The Great British Baking Show on my list, before I realized it was "Classic" shows.

I'm going with 20th century. Otherwise I would have included The Sopranos

I don't mean to sound like an old fogey but, I would have a hard time choosing 15 shows this century that I can tolerate. I don't care for reality shows, talent shows nor police/court/prison shows. So I don't have much to choose from.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, GGGGerald said:

I don't mean to sound like an old fogey but, I would have a hard time choosing 15 shows this century that I can tolerate. I don't care for reality shows, talent shows nor police/court/prison shows. So I don't have much to choose from.

I’m not a big fan of those genres that you mention either. I don’t normally like competition shows, but I love “The Great British Baking Show” and “Chopped.” I also love true crime, so “Forensic Files” would definitely be on the list. 

Other than that, I loved “30 Rock,” and “Mad Men.” I’d probably round out my list with cartoons and PBS shows. I also really enjoy “Antiques Roadshow.” 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, GGGGerald said:

"The Sopranos" made its HBO debut on January 10, 1999. The 21st century didn't begin until January 1, 2001.

27 Things People From North Jersey Have To Explain To Out-Of ...

19 hours ago, TheCid said:

I like your list best of all.  I prefer the ones from 50's and 60's, which unfortunately are being replaced by ones from the 70's and later on most OTA stations.

Would add Perry Mason, Route 66 and Highway Patrol.

Thanks.  And having had more lattitude, would have added those three and much more.  ;) 

17 hours ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

Henry Fonda had a series (with Ron Howard)

That was a very short-lived show (39 episodes)  called THE SMITH FAMILY.  from Jan.'71 to June '72.  I only recall it stunk to high Heaven.

Sepiatone

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

Thanks.  And having had more lattitude, would have added those three and much more.  ;) 

That was a very short-lived show (39 episodes)  called THE SMITH FAMILY.  from Jan.'71 to June '72.  I only recall it stunk to high Heaven.

Sepiatone

Yeah maybe, well except for young Darleen Carr who played his daughter in it...

ron-howard-henry-fonda-janet-blair-darle

(...'cause I kind'a remember having a little crush on her back then)

• Thanks 2

19 hours ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

Henry Fonda had a series (with Ron Howard)

Fonda also starred in the half-hour NBC Western series "The Deputy," which aired from 1959 to 1961. It was co-created by Norman Lear (who's still going strong 60 years later) and Roland Kibbee  (the man who came up with "It Takes a Thief"). Fonda played Simon Fry, a U.S. marshal in the Arizona territory of the 1880s. Allen Case co-starred as Clay McCord, the title character.

Do You Remember... "The Deputy"

13 hours ago, Dargo said:

giphy.gif

;)

I was of course, too young to watch it from it's beginning,  but did catch the last few seasons of...

First ran from '51 to '59

And I was a huge fan of all them Warner Brothers westerns(SUGARFOOT,  CHEYENNE,  THE LAWMAN etc.)  and a few others, like HAVE GUN WILL TRAVEL, THE REBEL and WANTED DEAD OR ALIVE.   Not to mention

THE ADVENTURES OF WILD BILL HICKOK 

THE ADVENTURES OF JIM BOWIE

THE LIFE AND LEGEND OF WYATT EARP

And other non westerns, like.....

THE MILLIONAIRE

THE LORETTA YOUNG SHOW

YOU ASKED FOR IT

And as 'yall know...

THE GEORGE BURNS AND GRACIE ALLEN SHOW. 

and I'll throw in...

THE AMOS 'N' ANDY SHOW which was in syndication when I was watching it on Sat. afternoons

Sepiatone

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sepiatone said:

I was of course, too young to watch it from it's beginning,  but did catch the last few seasons of...

First ran from '51 to '59

And I was a huge fan of all them Warner Brothers westerns(SUGARFOOT,  CHEYENNE,  THE LAWMAN etc.)  and a few others, like HAVE GUN WILL TRAVEL, THE REBEL and WANTED DEAD OR ALIVE.   Not to mention

THE ADVENTURES OF WILD BILL HICKOK 

THE ADVENTURES OF JIM BOWIE

THE LIFE AND LEGEND OF WYATT EARP

And other non westerns, like.....

THE MILLIONAIRE

THE LORETTA YOUNG SHOW

YOU ASKED FOR IT

And as 'yall know...

THE GEORGE BURNS AND GRACIE ALLEN SHOW. 

and I'll throw in...

THE AMOS 'N' ANDY SHOW which was in syndication when I was watching it on Sat. afternoons

Sepiatone

I didn't mention these in my post, but I did watch many of them and The Rifleman. Loved Palladin ( Have Gun Will Travel) Watched and loved all the non western shows you mentioned. Another good one was the short lived The Rogues that had an all star cast. Another was the Name of The Game Loved the show Hong Kong starring Rod Taylor and Lloyd Buchner. Rod was another I had a crush one Besides all these great shows I still watched old movies on the Early and sometimes Late Show and Million Dollar Movie and Chiller Theater for horror classics. I'm always amazed at how much tv I watched, when did I ever get to do my homework?  LOL

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Dargo said:

giphy.gif

;)

I thought I was an anteater man. Good ol' blue boy. As long as blue boy is playing

somewhere on the tube out there, I know this old  world will be  alright.

2 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

I didn't mention these in my post, but I did watch many of them and The Rifleman. Loved Palladin ( Have Gun Will Travel) Watched and loved all the non western shows you mentioned. Another good one was the short lived The Rogues that had an all star cast. Another was the Name of The Game Loved the show Hong Kong starring Rod Taylor and Lloyd Buchner. Rod was another I had a crush one Besides all these great shows I still watched old movies on the Early and sometimes Late Show and Million Dollar Movie and Chiller Theater for horror classics. I'm always amazed at how much tv I watched, when did I ever get to do my homework?  LOL

Maybe you were like me, lavender? You didn't!

And thus like me, skated by with a 'B' GPA.

(...just think of what the possibilities were if we had actually applied ourselves scholastically, huh)

;)

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, GGGGerald said:

Do police shows include detective shows such as: Monk (2002–2009) and Psych (2006–2014)? I liked only the first two years of: Psych but I loved the other all the way through its run. White Collar (2009–2014) is another which might seem like a police show in ways but it is far from the standard procedural boredom.

May I suggest: Eureka (2006–2012)? I know that it is superficially science fiction but it truly is a great dramatic comedy action series even with all the trappings removed. I would ask only that you watch the first episode so that you can see how it is so very different from the space opera and superhero genres which people usually conflate with science fiction. Warehouse 13 (2009–2014) is similarly a fantasy with few fantasy tropes. 

Please find and watch: Firefly (2002–2003) if you have any tolerance at all for space opera because it is grand beyond description. I suggest watching first the episode: "Our Mrs. Reynolds" because it is rollicking great fun. The official pilot episode is rather mundane because of the ways which Fox corrupted the series to ensure its early death.  

19 hours ago, Vautrin said:

Most of my favorites have already been mentioned. A few more:

Northern Exposure

mad_men7.jpg

DD Mad Men

Skag

My ALL TIME FAVORITE TV SHOW - MAD MEN

• Like 1

If we're going into the 2000's Obviously Mad Men is my first choice,  I loved The Sopranos that's my 2nd choice. I loved Desperate Housewives, Monk and at the time Sex and the City. I may give in and get Amazon Prime since my friends tell me The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel is great. I've really enjoyed Ray Donovan and the fools in the suits are deciding to continue the show or not. It has a huge following and it's a great tv show.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

I could name at least a dozen more, ( Donna Reed, 77 Sunset Strip, The Untouchables, naked City.) Loved watching I Love Lucy, My Little Margie, Love That Bob, Our Muss  Brooks, Abbott and Costello in re-runs   and forgot never missed always watched  Dick Van Dyke Show , Adventures In Paradise 

edited by me                                                                                               

Oh wow!. I had totally forgotten about Adventures in Paradise. I loved that show. Gardner McKay, as Adam Troy; was the skipper of The Tiki.  As a young kid from a small town in South Carolina in the 50s and 60s, it was a great escape for me. I'm heading over to Google to refresh my memory about that series

• Like 2

I loved Adventures In Paradise and gorgeous Gardner McKay, what a hunk ;)  and the show had a beautiful theme song

14 hours ago, jakeem said:

"The Sopranos" made its HBO debut on January 10, 1999. The 21st century didn't begin until January 1, 2001.

27 Things People From North Jersey Have To Explain To Out-Of ...

I'm well aware of that. A major theme of the first season was Y2K. The bulk of the series was in this century so that's where I put it. Have to draw a line somewhere.

3 hours ago, SansFin said:

Do police shows include detective shows such as: Monk (2002–2009) and Psych (2006–2014)?

If I made a list of shows of this century, Monk would probably make the list.

19 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I’m not a big fan of those genres that you mention either. I don’t normally like competition shows, but I love “The Great British Baking Show” and “Chopped.” 

The only competition shows I watch would be shows like Forged in Fire, or Shark Tank, where real life skills are used to win. Not just who can sing the loudest. I used to like Chopped but, certain judges really turned me off from that show.

I also love true crime, so “Forensic Files” would definitely be on the list. 

There's too much "true crime" going on in the present time already. I don't want to turn on my TV to watch more.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hoganman1 said:

Oh wow!. I had totally forgotten about Adventures in Paradise. I loved that show. Gardner McKay, as Adam Troy; was the skipper of The Tiki.  As a young kid from a small town in South Carolina in the 50s and 60s, it was a great escape for me. I'm heading over to Google to refresh my memory about that series

What of: Death in Paradise (2011– )? I loved the first seasons with Ben Miller as an upright and dependable English DI who hates sun, sand and sea and is therefore posted to an island in the Caribbean. He has long struck me as the scruffy intellectual type whom you keep away from your respectable friends so that he does not think less of you.

23 minutes ago, GGGGerald said:

There's too much "true crime" going on in the present time already. I don't want to turn on my TV to watch more.

I do not consider: Forensic Files (1996–2011) to be a "true crime" program. I consider it an educational program in the "what not to do" vein.

9 minutes ago, SansFin said:

What of: Death in Paradise (2011– )? I loved the first seasons with Ben Miller as an upright and dependable English DI who hates sun, sand and sea and is therefore posted to an island in the Caribbean. He has long struck me as the scruffy intellectual type whom you keep away from your respectable friends so that he does not think less of you.

Watched it last night. They're on their fourth DI and third DS. Great show but, they can't keep their actors lol. Miss Fisher's Mysteries is another good show.

• Like 1