Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Yoda1978

15 Favorite Classic TV Shows.

TRIVIA: Andy Griifith Show was shot at the off limits to fans huge CULVER STUDIOS in CULVER STUDIOUS just down the street from what was once the grandest of all empires M-G-M-(now Sony)

So many heavyweights & non heavyweight films, shows were filmed behind it's gates-(CHECK OUT IT'S SITE & STRANGELY STILL NO BOOK ON IT?)'It was one DAVID O.SELZNICK'S THEN LUCY BOUGHT HIM OUT

On THOMAS INCE BLVD or STREET

Good topic Yoda!  Several times I also wanted to post something like this but thought it mostly cinema

AS FOR ME ONLY MY TOP 5 to 10 ORS SO COMPILED BELOW>

1. IN A BLOW OUT THE HONEYMOONERS (Classic 39) (from 1955-56)

2. LOST EPISODES OF THE HONEYMOOJNERS (1952-57)

3. SNL: THE FIRST 5 YEARS ONLY (l975-80)

5th THE TONIGHT SHOW STARRING JOHNNY CARSON (l962-92)

6. THE ABBOTTT & COSTELLO SHOW (l952-54) (NOTE: Jerry Seinfeld always says he wanted his own massively popular series to  be like this small gem)

7th SEINFELD (l989-l998)

8. THOUGH It's BY NO MEANS YET NOT OLD ENOUGH I BARELY VOTE FOR THE PERFECTO CRIME-DRAMA-(even over The Sopranos)  BREAKING BAD 

9. SOPRANOS (l999-2007)

10th fav. TWILIGHT ZONE (l959-l964)

& my candidate for finest cop series ever-(thogh Falk as Columbo was brilliant  ALSO, check out the Dino Roast to Sinatra, Falk almost steals the show as the legendary cop, not quite RICKLES usually did that)

The still rarely known y4et superb at times HOMICIDE: LIFE OF THE STREET from the 1990's

• Like 1

& By the way THE GREAT ONE JACKIE GLEASON (l9l6-87) IS THE REAL MR. TELEVISION & NOT BERLE???)

5 hours ago, spence said:

TopBilled,, as usual your first did your homework!

But, what qualifies as a subject matter, 20 or 25yrs like a car?

Thanks Spence. Well, I think each person has their own definition of "classic."

On 5/31/2020 at 5:53 AM, spence said:

& By the way THE GREAT ONE JACKIE GLEASON (l9l6-87) IS THE REAL MR. TELEVISION & NOT BERLE???)

Sorry, but "Uncle Milty's" TV debut in 1948 beat out Gleason's debut as Chester X. Riley, in THE LIFE OF RILEY (replaced later by WILLIAM BENDIX)  by a year.  More if you figure in Gleason not getting a show of his own, and under his name until '52.

Berle got the "Mr. Television" moniker due to the industry(television manufacturers) determining the popularity of Berle's show helped skyrocket TV set sales in the fledgling market and entertainment factor.  And he was also known as "Mr. Tuesday Night", as his show was broadcast on that night.  And as an aside  ;) ....

On the '60's variety show THE HOLLYWOOD PALACE, he was introduced by the host one night(I forget who) with the introduction;

"Here's the man who was once known as "Mr. Tuesday Night" an is STILL called that by his WIFE......."  :D 

Sepiatone

On 5/29/2020 at 11:31 AM, lavenderblue19 said:

when did I ever get to do my homework?

Lol.  I usually tried to get my homework done in the afternoon before "my shows" on Nick-at-Nite, which started at 8pm. I usually did my homework while watching my afternoon shows.  But if I still had work to do, I worked on it on my parents' bed when I was banished to the back of the house to watch Nick at Nite on the black and white TV.

On 5/30/2020 at 5:19 PM, lavenderblue19 said:

So glad The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet was listed. Loved that show and LOVED Ricky and love this song

I've never actually seen The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet.  It doesn't seem to be a show that was ever rerun on any channels that I had, and I don't recall it ever being part of the Nick at Nite lineup (at least when I watched).  

But I love Ricky Nelson! "Poor Little Fool" is a great song.  I also love "Hello Mary Lou" and "Travelin' Man."

Then, there's one of my favorite moments in The Parent Trap:

(The wind and rain blows through the girls' isolation cabin and blows all of Susan's photos all over the place.  Sharon helps Susan pick them up and grabs a photo of Ricky Nelson.

SHARON: Is this your boyfriend?

SUSAN: Ricky Nelson?! I wish he was! 

That's how I would feel too, if I had been a teen in the late 50s-early 60s.

Ricky Nelson had performed at a night club in Guntersville Alabama the night before he was killed in the plane crash. That’s about an hour from where I live. The guy who owned the club was a member of Spiral Starecase who had a big hit in the late 60’s “ More Today Than Yesterday “

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, HelenBaby2 said:

Ricky Nelson had performed at a night club in Guntersville Alabama the night before he was killed in the plane crash. That’s about an hour from where I live. The guy who owned the club was a member of Spiral Starecase who had a big hit in the late 60’s “ More Today Than Yesterday “

♪♪ BUT not AS much as toMORrow...DAH dah dah dah...I love YOU move today than YESTERDAY...DAH dah dah dah...BUT darling not AS much as tomor-R-RO-oh...Everyday's a NEW da     ♪♪ .....ooops

Sorry, but it doesn't take much to get me started, ya know..

(...hey, anyone here up for a little karaoke???)

;)

• Like 1

That's interesting. I didn't know how many of his '50s and '60s hits Nelson performed after trying to reinvent himself with "Garden Party" and the incident that inspired that song. Looks like where he crashed was slightly fewer than 140 miles east and a little north from where I live now.  I'm sorry Texas had to be his death state, but looking at a map, I would have to say the plane had barely crossed the state line before it crashed.

5 minutes ago, Dargo said:

♪♪ BUT not AS much as toMORrow...DAH dah dah dah...I love YOU move today than YESTERDAY...DAH dah dah dah...BUT darling not AS much as tomor-R-RO-oh...Everyday's a NEW da     ♪♪ .....ooops

Wow, wait, that wasn't a hit by young Stevie Wonder? Sometimes, I think I'm a pop hits savant (at least among my circle of acquaintances I am), but every now and then a moment like this makes me realize how much I still have to learn.

Just now, sewhite2000 said:

Wow, wait, that wasn't a hit by young Stevie Wonder? Sometimes, I think I'm a pop hits savant (at least among my circle of acquaintances I am), but every now and then a moment like this makes me realize how much I still have to learn.

That's okay, sewhite. 

You know that song "On the Dark Side"? Well, for years I would have sworn it was Springsteen and the E Street Band and not John Cafferty and the Beaver Brown Band.

(...and so you're not the only one here in this regard)

1 minute ago, Dargo said:

You know that song "On the Dark Side"? Well, for years I would have sworn it was Springsteen and the E Street Band and not John Cafferty and the Beaver Brown Band.

Yes, I remember that song. I think it was obviously supposed to sound like the much more famous act in the hopes of shoehorning on "The Boss"'s success. I don't know if the intent was the same with the Spiral Staircase song, although it certainly sounds like something Stevie could have recorded around the same time as "Uptight".

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

Well, they did cover "For Once In My Life" , what was made popular by Stevie Wonder. So there is a connection.

I have that tune on one of my playlists. But, you don't want to be around when I try to sing it. I've been known to burst ear drums :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I've never actually seen The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet.  It doesn't seem to be a show that was ever rerun on any channels that I had, and I don't recall it ever being part of the Nick at Nite lineup (at least when I watched).  

But I love Ricky Nelson! "Poor Little Fool" is a great song.  I also love "Hello Mary Lou" and "Travelin' Man."

(The wind and rain blows through the girls' isolation cabin and blows all of Susan's photos all over the place.  Sharon helps Susan pick them up and grabs a photo of Ricky Nelson.

THE ADVENTURES OF OZZIE AND HARRIET ended it's 14 year run in 1966,  And I do recall seeing some reruns in syndication over the years, but not since the advent of cable(in my region) and the growth of "retro" TV channels.  Some things I recall and thought were amusing.....

Nobody seemed to know or would ever mention what Ozzie did for a living on the show, and older brother DAVID NELSON had a best friend while in college named WALLY( played by actor Skip Young) and a few years later, after David graduated from college and Ricky started attending the same university, Wally then became Ricky's best friend and fraternity brother!  :D  Yeah. Wally.   The professional student!  :D 

And note:  kid actor BARRY LIVINGSTON, brother of Stanley( from MY THREE SONS) played the part of a smart aleck neighborhood kid that seemed to hang around the Nelson household until he left to play his brother's character CHIP's best friend on MTS,  and who then later, when TIM CONSIDINE left the show, was adopted by the Douglas family and became the 3rd son.  ;) 

Ain't TV grand?

Where eLSE can you get away with two different "Darrins" and carry on? ("Bewitched") or have an older brother who disappears after a seasn or two and is never heard from again or mentioned by other family members?("Happy Days).   :D

I do recall watching DENNIS THE MENACE when it came out, and looking at the reruns on AntennaTV, notice that RON HOWARD of ANDY GRIFFITH fame, was on DTM before he was Opie as Dennis' friend STEWART (in '59 I think).

Sepiatone

14 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

The Adventures of Ozzie & Harriet was rerun in the 80s on the Disney Channel. Harriet recorded a bunch of intros at that time to share her memories and discuss the making of certain episodes. This occurred right after Rick’s death. Ozzie had died  in the mid 70s.  

A lot of the episodes are now on YouTube, because the series is now in the public domain.

• Thanks 1

In  no particular order:

1. The  Wild Wild West

2. Zorro

3. Our Miss Brooks

4. The Munsters

5. The Addams Family

6. Gilligan's Island

7. The Untouchables

8. Maverick 

9. The Twilight Zone

10. Batman

11. Petticoat Junction

12. The Beverly Hillbillies

13. Green Acres

14. F-Troop

15. The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis

1 hour ago, Artemus said:

In  no particular order:

1. The  Wild Wild West

2. Zorro

Well you say 'in no particular order',  and then the first one listed there,   Artemus,   is The Wild Wild West.   

You really expect anyone to believe that?

image.jpeg.9c3acd0b201eb03a443e34ea0213346e.jpeg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Well you say 'in no particular order',  and then the first one listed there,   Artemus,   is The Wild Wild West.   

You really expect anyone to believe that?

image.jpeg.9c3acd0b201eb03a443e34ea0213346e.jpeg

When the avatar is to the left of the screen, of course that's the first to come to mind when asked to list fifteen shows. Still, I don't rank  it above or below anything else on my list so it is "in no particular order."  Whether you believe it or not is your prerogative. 

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

In the early 1970s, Ozzie and Harriet starred in the syndicated sitcom "Ozzie's Girls," in which  the Nelsons rented the bedroom of their grown sons to two college students (Brenda Sykes and Susan Sennett). In one episode of the series, daughter-in-law Kris Nelson's younger brother made his acting debut. He's now one of the most powerful people on television.

• Like 2

An interesting thing about the Ozzie & Harriet show is that while they featured the daughters-in-law (June Blair & Kristen Harmon), they never featured the grandchildren. David's son Daniel was born in 1962, four years before the sitcom ended. And Rick's daughter Tracy was born in 1963, three years before the sitcom ended.

1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

An interesting thing about the Ozzie & Harriet show is that while they featured the daughters-in-law (June Blair & Kristen Harmon), they never featured the grandchildren. David's son Daniel was born in 1962, four years before the sitcom ended. And Rick's daughter Tracy was born in 1963, three years before the sitcom ended.

Oh yeah...June Blair.

(...mmmMMMmmm)  ;)

• Like 2

Interesting topic....I'm not a big follower of TV series, been told I have a "commitment issue" heh. But there are a few that I find irresistible -

(no special order)

STAR TREK (original series)

ALL IN THE FAMILY

I LOVE LUCY

BEWITCHED

ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW

DICK VAN DYKE SHOW

MARY TYLER MOORE SHOW

THE TWILIGHT ZONE

CAR 54 WHERE ARE YOU

CYBILL (currently watching)

(I don't really like cartoons, esp Sat AM TV)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Interesting topic....I'm not a big follower of TV series, been told I have a "commitment issue" heh. But there are a few that I find irresistible -

(no special order)

STAR TREK (original series)

ALL IN THE FAMILY

I LOVE LUCY

BEWITCHED

ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW

DICK VAN DYKE SHOW

MARY TYLER MOORE SHOW

THE TWILIGHT ZONE

CAR 54 WHERE ARE YOU

CYBILL (currently watching)

(I don't really like cartoons, esp Sat AM TV)

COUPLE OF THESE, PLUS THE STUFF I ALREADY LISTED ALSIO (ST) FILMED AT CULVER STUDIOS, AKLSO tv's THE UNTOUCHABLES & NOW LOTS OF GAMNE SHOWS  AGAIN, IT HAS A VERY NICE WEBSITE, JUST NEEDS A BOOK